It is currently: Jun 02, '24, 2:56 pm

Do you earn an adequate income?

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Do you earn an adequate income?

Postby Matteo » May 08, '14, 1:49 am

Work plays such a huge role in our lives and with politics in general. Do you think you earn an adequate income? Of course, everyone would love to make more dough, but considering how much time and effort you put in to your specific job, would you say the amount you earn is... fair?

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 195

Re: Do you earn an adequate income?

Postby Chewy » May 08, '14, 2:49 am

Yes.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 21

Postby PorkChop » May 08, '14, 6:43 am

As a student, I am currently a filthy scrounger living off free money from the government, so yes.

In five days when I will no longer be a a student, I will be in horrid debt. So no.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Locke » May 08, '14, 8:17 am

For the roller coaster my mind goes through daily and the high blood pressure, stress, and anxiety caused by the job.. no. I should be getting twice what I get paid now. At least.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 08, '14, 12:06 pm

I'd say yes. TBH, the wage for my job I was expecting to be standard for that type of role or lower but because it was two PT jobs with which one had a higher salary, I get paid slightly more.

But not as if I really go out and spend it all. Once food shopping is done, bills and a few takeaway treats, still have a nice amount left.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Kein » May 08, '14, 12:11 pm

Yea, my income is good for what I do. I want more responsibility so I can make more!

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Hanley! » May 08, '14, 12:43 pm

I make enough to get by, for sure, but I could do with more. Particularly now that I have to pay for a wedding. I think I deserve more too. Since starting with the company I work for, I completed a higher diploma in insurance on their request. Everyone is supposed to try and get it done in 4 years - I got it done in 1 year. Faster than anyone else in the company ever has. I'm now half way through a higher standard of insurance degree, have almost 4 years experience under my belt and I'm in a supervisor role. Despite all that, I've only received a raise of 20% since starting. It feels like I should be getting more.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 08, '14, 12:54 pm

Hanley! wrote:I make enough to get by, for sure, but I could do with more. Particularly now that I have to pay for a wedding. I think I deserve more too. Since starting with the company I work for, I completed a higher diploma in insurance on their request. Everyone is supposed to try and get it done in 4 years - I got it done in 1 year. Faster than anyone else in the company ever has. I'm now half way through a higher standard of insurance degree, have almost 4 years experience under my belt and I'm in a supervisor role. Despite all that, I've only received a raise of 20% since starting. It feels like I should be getting more.

Go and knock that MF'ing door down Hanley!

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 08, '14, 9:49 pm

Well its funny that you should ask.
We had a company wide meeting because in the last 4 months 14 people have quit, all claiming inadequate wages. Not a single one has been replaced because the board of supervisors (I work for local government) says the funds are not available due to a 30% cut in our budget this fiscal year coming. Not to mention, in the last 10 years our workforce has been cut by over 50 positions from people who quit, got fired or retired, all not being replaced with new hires.

Back to the meeting, they say over the last year a group of people have done a study regarding our current wages compared to the same jobs in the private sector and surrounding local governments. The results, on average our employees were about 25% under the norm. The outcome, we all are getting wage increases to compensate for this and to make us more equal to private sector jobs, YEAH!

Last week my paycheck comes and I am thinking about my 25% increase, to my dismay, it was a 4.98% increase. Wtf? Where is the other 20.02%, people bitch and the answer we get is this, "we know you are grossly underpaid for what you do, we gave everyone what we could afford. By the way, if your unhappy with you job, we are not holding you against your will and you are free to seek employment elsewhere at any time"

So no, my pay is not adequate for my job duties

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby War Daddy » May 09, '14, 8:25 am

Nope.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Kirbi » May 10, '14, 9:43 am

No, mainly because I'm currently doing work which is about two grades above my official rank.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby CavingSiberian » May 11, '14, 1:14 pm

I'm in academia. I work my ass off teaching hundreds of young adult minds every semester, doing original and important scientific research on speleothem geochemistry, and of course take classes. I guess if you consider I don't have to pay for my tuition it is quite nice, but in the end my take home doesn't quite pay the bills (I make 12k per year USD... my rent alone,, which is actually cheap for this area, is 7.1k per year....) so I have to either a) somehow find more work with the time I don't have or b) take on some govt. student loans.

I'm really not looking forward to paying those back....

CavingSiberian Female
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 8

Postby blackparade » May 11, '14, 1:48 pm

As far as covering my cost of living, yes it's fine. I'd like to earn double what I make now, just so I can get a better car than the one I'm driving now with 266,000 miles on it, and to buy a home. As far as whether it's a good wage for what I do? I'd say no. I think I'm underpaid for my job as a laptop technician. I wouldn't mind another $3/hr as I think that's a fair wage, but I'm not complaining since we are doing just fine for where we're at in life.

blackparade Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 1

Return to News and Politics