It is currently: May 13, '24, 3:41 pm

US Government Shutdown is OVER

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

US Government Shutdown is OVER

Postby Everlong » Oct 16, '13, 10:13 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t1

So it's finally over, after an embarrassing week or two or however long it was. I'm sure Buck has plenty to weigh in on this :P

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: US Government Shutdown is OVER

Postby Daz » Oct 16, '13, 10:30 pm

The rest of the world is still laughing at you.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Oct 16, '13, 10:37 pm

Daz wrote:The rest of the world is still laughing at you.

Let them laugh while they're eating a Big Mac and getting ready to watch the latest Hollywood flick while preparing for their countries' latest import of 100% homegrown 'merican LIBERTY :tim

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Oct 16, '13, 11:50 pm

I hate the American government so much.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Hanley! » Oct 17, '13, 1:11 pm

It is hilarious that the most powerful country allowed something like that to even happen. The Tea Party morons responsible deserve most of the abuse for what happened, for sure. But I think it shows something fundamentally wrong with the government.

Until I watched the West Wing, I didn't know that bills can be amended to include basically anything under the sun over there, regardless of whether it's relevant to the bill in question. I still find that pretty mind-blowing.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Oct 17, '13, 1:14 pm

Hanley! wrote:It is hilarious that the most powerful country allowed something like that to even happen. The Tea Party morons responsible deserve most of the abuse for what happened, for sure. But I think it shows something fundamentally wrong with the government.

Until I watched the West Wing, I didn't know that bills can be amended to include basically anything under the sun over there, regardless of whether it's relevant to the bill in question. I still find that pretty mind-blowing.

This actually isn't even close to the first time this has happened either. This was actually the 18th government shutdown in US history, but the first in quite some time.

And yeah, probably 75% of every bill is just a bunch of pork, which is political slang for unnecessary items that get thrown into a bill to appease legislators and encourage them to vote for it.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby UTK » Oct 17, '13, 3:43 pm

Yeah, but the damn "agreement" is only valid until the beginning of next year. The only thing they focused on was not defaulting, which made sense considering the corner they put themselves in. But the lack of a long-term agreement bugs me.

Hanley! wrote:It is hilarious that the most powerful country allowed something like that to even happen. The Tea Party morons responsible deserve most of the abuse for what happened, for sure. But I think it shows something fundamentally wrong with the government.

The Tea Party deserves abuse in general.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Locke » Oct 17, '13, 3:59 pm

Poor bum like me never even noticed the difference. My way of life wasn't effected down to the last grain of salt in the cabinet. Nothin'.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 17, '13, 4:02 pm

Without getting too deep but having a general over-view of the situation, it just seems both parties are willing to treat its citizens with contempt with this childish "We won't do this until you do this for us" policy. They are willing to shut down the government and cause a problem for the staff who won't get paid for the time they've been off; people unable to use those services and cause concern for the world ecomomy. I imagine in February, this whoo-haa will be starting again.

Just my view, but it does seem that Obama isn't as cosy with senators than his predecessors? That's the feeling I get from what I read that they don't particularly like him and/or willing to compromise because he hasn't made a major effort with them. I thought Biden being the Vice President and older than Obama in diplomatic and political terms was to help in situations like this, i.e him using his experience to get concessions or agreements with Senators who've been round the block abit more. Maybe I'm wrong in my assessment but just my feeling.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » Oct 17, '13, 4:52 pm

I wouldn't really blame both parties, because what was the president's side going to do? Allowing the government to be taken hostage over something as stupid as that would have been a horrible precedent to set. The phrase "we do not negotiate with terrorists" comes to mind here. You don't want to let people know you can be bullied like this, it's really dangerous territory.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby UTK » Oct 17, '13, 4:53 pm

Hanley! wrote:I wouldn't really blame both parties, because what was the president's side going to do? Allowing the government to be taken hostage over something as stupid as that would have been a horrible precedent to set. The phrase "we do not negotiate with terrorists" comes to mind here. You don't want to let people know you can be bullied like this, it's really dangerous territory.

Republicans are terrorists. Noted.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to News and Politics