It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:27 pm

Corona virus thread

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Corona virus thread

Postby PorkChop » Apr 08, '20, 12:50 pm

We've just hit 900+ deaths in the past 24 hours here in the UK, our worst day so far. Rumours are going around about a full lockdown on the horizon as allegedly the virus hasn't peaked yet. Current forecasts show we're potentially set to for more deaths than Italy, Spain, France and Germany combined, as our prime minister (now in intensive care with the virus) delayed closing schools, pubs, theatres etc until well after our European neighbours: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... are_btn_tw

Fortunately I live alone at the moment, so I'm not too concerned about me getting it at present. I only go outside for shopping now, last thing at night, and my risk of exposure is somewhat low. I am starting to worry a bit about some friends/family who have underlying medical conditions though.

How are things looking across the pond in the US?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Corona virus thread

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 08, '20, 7:21 pm

These next two weeks are supposed to be the worst for us. We have some pretty inept Governors fucking things up. Luckily for me I guess, our Governor in Pennsylvania has been pretty on point.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 12, '20, 9:57 am

So much more should be asked of the Government by reporters here on how the fuck we've ended up with 10k deaths, when we should have been in a better position.

Yet, the press are happily reporting what PM has been watching and doing whilst in hospital..

I expect a lockdown extension for another three weeks on Tuesday, until the cases/death numbers steady I can't see how they can loosen any restrictions.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Apr 12, '20, 10:44 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:So much more should be asked of the Government by reporters here on how the fuck we've ended up with 10k deaths, when we should have been in a better position.

Imagine if Labour won the election. People would be frothing at the mouth about this. It's alright though because it's the Tories.

I'm in a bit of a situation here. I've been living in London since November 2016, and for the most part have hated it. I've been constantly applying for jobs back home since then as means of escape, however this past year or so I've stepped up my efforts as my girlfriend of 5 years is finishing uni soon and intends to move back to our hometown, and it would make for excellent timing for me to be able to move home at the same time so we can settle down. I've come close to getting a few jobs in this time, but have been the second choice on a few occasions.

I've finally got a job offer... in a hospital. The salary is decent and the job itself sounds right up my street, but this is the worst possible location at the worst possible time. I haven't been given a start date yet, but I've been told I'll be considered an essential worker so I'll have to be there every day. Right at the peak of the virus too.

Be careful what you wish for I suppose.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 16, '20, 1:42 am

A tough one mate. London has been affected more than most, but there's a risk of being within the environment moving back home.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Apr 16, '20, 11:05 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:A tough one mate. London has been affected more than most, but there's a risk of being within the environment moving back home.

They've offered a June 1st start date, which gives enough time for the virus to die down a bit. Fingers crossed it does for all of our sakes.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to News and Politics