It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:49 pm

Today is Trump's America......

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Today is Trump's America......

Postby DBSoT » Jan 26, '17, 12:11 pm

The State Department’s entire senior-level management staff has reportedly resigned. People who have served under both Democrat and GOP presidents, said "Fuck it" just days after Trump became President.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 218

Re: Today is Trump's America......

Postby Everlong » Jan 26, '17, 2:29 pm

Every single day a new story comes out about what Trump is doing/is about to do, and I think this is it, we've hit rock bottom.

Then it gets even worse the next day.

We're living a nightmare right now in the United States that's making Brexit look like child's play. It's going to be an exhausting, stressful four years but I hope this is the 100 steps back we needed to take before taking 500 forward.

I just purchased a subscription to the New York Times, btw. I highly encourage all concerned citizens to choose a publication or two that engages in critical journalism and pay for it so we can support good journalism that keeps this administration held accountable.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Daz » Jan 26, '17, 3:02 pm

Can somebody explain to me, Trump's obsession with voter fraud? Like, what's the goal? Does he realize he won, does he know he's the President? Why keep de-legitimizing the vote, when you benefitted from it? If there was widespread voter fraud, doesn't it call into question his victory?

Why keep the topic in everybody's mind when pretty much everyone and his dog in a position to refute the claim has done so. Pretty much anyone in a position to know anything about voter fraud has said "yeah, there's no evidence of that." so what is Trump hoping to achieve?

Is it to deflect the suggestion of corruption regarding the vote away from his own camp, as far as the Russians go, or is his ego really just that fragile he can't accept that Clinton won the popular vote? Either way it is ridiculous.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Jan 26, '17, 3:10 pm

Daz wrote:Can somebody explain to me, Trump's obsession with voter fraud? Like, what's the goal? Does he realize he won, does he know he's the President? Why keep de-legitimizing the vote, when you benefitted from it? If there was widespread voter fraud, doesn't it call into question his victory?

Why keep the topic in everybody's mind when pretty much everyone and his dog in a position to refute the claim has done so. Pretty much anyone in a position to know anything about voter fraud has said "yeah, there's no evidence of that." so what is Trump hoping to achieve?

Is it to deflect the suggestion of corruption regarding the vote away from his own camp, as far as the Russians go, or is his ego really just that fragile he can't accept that Clinton won the popular vote? Either way it is ridiculous.

Easy. He's already thinking ahead to 2020.

Even if it's complete bullshit, he wants to dupe as many people as possible into thinking there's even a chance that the system is rigged, or that there are fraudulent voters. This could be for one of a couple purposes:

a) If they perform an investigation, even if they come across a negligible amount of double registratoins and things like that, he'll be able to use that as his excuse to push through voter ID and other voter suppression legislature. This makes it tougher for people to vote, and as we all know, voter suppression and low turnouts ALWAYS favor Republicans.

b) By gradually eroding the idea of fair elections and increasing people's suspicions that not everything is on the up and up when it comes to elections, he can figure out a way to declare a 2020 election that doesn't result in him being president fraudulent, and have a significant percentage of the populace ready to back him up on that. This would lead to a huge war in the courtrooms, and likely significant violence, as tensions in class and race are going to continue to get even more intense over the next few years.

Trump is playing the long game with voter fraud. he knows damn well there isn't any evidence, but he doesn't care. It's about controlling the message, and maintaining control in four years, while also trying to build up his ego.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DBSoT » Jan 26, '17, 3:29 pm

Daz wrote:Can somebody explain to me, Trump's obsession with voter fraud? Like, what's the goal? Does he realize he won, does he know he's the President? Why keep de-legitimizing the vote, when you benefitted from it? If there was widespread voter fraud, doesn't it call into question his victory?

It has to do with 2 things.
1) He is an egomaniac and a the most sensitive person in the world. He wants so badly to have everything he has said be justified. So he goes through mental hurdles to believe it. It is ironic that conservatives call liberals "snowflakes", because Trump is the biggest "snowflake" of them all. He take every claim against him as a personal affront, as if him being wrong is a far-fetched thought or "Fake News."

2) He is distracting people from facts, so that he can build a campaign for 2020. Basically, what Tim wrote. Trump is essentially, take the playbook right from every dictator ever. Control the message and insulate the media. If he can get people to believe the media is "fake" then he can control what news people accept. He is already doing it with his press briefings. He called a reporter from CNN fake news and refused to answer his questions. That is a man that wants to control the message.

Best case scenario: Trump tries to get some of his shitty executive orders through Congress, but they fight him on it. The media calls him out for not falling through on his promises. He gets sensitive and angry. Leading to him trying to push them through without Congress approval. This would get him impeached. Mike Pence is proven to have been colluding in the whole thing. He is also gone. Paul Ryan becomes president. Ryan isn't ideal, but compared to Trump and Pence, it is a dream scenario.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 26, '17, 10:55 pm

Here's a brief recap of Trump's first week:

Monday: Sends his press secretary out to dispute the crowd size at his inauguration. "Alternative facts".
Wednesday: Signs executive order to start building the wall, says he wants to bring back torture
Thursday: Tweets about forcing Mexico to pay for the wall, Mexican president cancels their meeting

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Daz » Jan 26, '17, 11:17 pm

Also the thinly veiled "Muslim" ban and trying to silence environmental departments from tweeting.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 27, '17, 8:10 am

I had hoped (far fetched I know) that the realisation he has the most powerful position in the world might change him, or nudge his aides to advise him, to adopt a different approach. I guess not. Just destroy everything in your path with your warped, sensitive thinking.

From our point of view, we have our own little leader wanting to show she's powerful by sucking up to Trump rather than calling him out for some of the things he's said. So much of a 'special relationship' that you can't challenge, just acquiesce.

It's sad to see the media not rallying together to try and sufficiently challenge Trump. When he refused to take a question from the CNN guy, it seemed too easy for the press/TV pack to just accept it rather than challenge it. A free, open media is required to challenge people like Trump, who is now President especially more so when his chief strategist Steve Bannon sees the media, not the Democratic party, as the 'enemy'.

I fear alot of Trump's wild comments and focus is to detract away from the some of the surreptitious acts he's doing behind closed doors. There's a saying of 'burying bad news' and with Trump in charge, that'll it everyday I fear with his administration trying to sneak things behind the back door whilst everyone converges on the front entrance to see Trump's latest offerings.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Messiah » Jan 27, '17, 9:09 am

Everlong wrote:b) By gradually eroding the idea of fair elections and increasing people's suspicions that not everything is on the up and up when it comes to elections, he can figure out a way to declare a 2020 election that doesn't result in him being president fraudulent, and have a significant percentage of the populace ready to back him up on that.

I don't know, I have my doubts Trump could go 8 years without being impeached. Dude is too much of a loose cannon.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Everlong » Jan 27, '17, 3:25 pm

Messiah wrote:
Everlong wrote:b) By gradually eroding the idea of fair elections and increasing people's suspicions that not everything is on the up and up when it comes to elections, he can figure out a way to declare a 2020 election that doesn't result in him being president fraudulent, and have a significant percentage of the populace ready to back him up on that.

I don't know, I have my doubts Trump could go 8 years without being impeached. Dude is too much of a loose cannon.

Any reasonable congress would impeach him within his first few months here. But congress is completely controlled by the Republican party, and if they see him as a puppet they can control, they're going to hold on to him for as long as they can.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Daz » Jan 27, '17, 6:01 pm

Seeing him and May today was sickening. She's such a sycophantic old hag and he's so clearly out of his depth.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Jan 28, '17, 6:26 am

Everlong wrote:Any reasonable congress would impeach him within his first few months here. But congress is completely controlled by the Republican party, and if they see him as a puppet they can control, they're going to hold on to him for as long as they can.

The midterm elections are likely to make Congress look very different in a couple years if Trump continues down this path.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 28, '17, 11:56 am

Daz wrote:Seeing him and May today was sickening. She's such a sycophantic old hag and he's so clearly out of his depth.

Add to that her refusal to condemn the Muslims Ban which is already taking shape. Then getting shown by Turkey's president Erdogan who was critical on America's wall building, refugee refusals stance whilst she just stood there and grinned I'd imagine.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby DBSoT » Jan 28, '17, 1:42 pm

I mean this 100% sincerely. The Muslim countries ban is one of the worst things I have seen my country's government do. It is sickening that Trump is attempting to make us an isolationist nation. It's even worst that the countries listed on the ban aren't even the ones causing the attacks. How about doing something with Saudi Arabia? No, of course Trump won't touch them because the spike it would cause in gas prices would be crushing. Dick "torture works" Cheney said the Muslim ban is "against everything we stand for." Seriously, the guy who wanted Guantanamo Bay, thinks what Trump is doing is offensive and wrong. Fuck!

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Jan 28, '17, 7:58 pm

Green card holders and international students are also getting sent back. An Oscar-nominated Iranian director will not be able to attend the academy awards ceremony. Iran has now banned all US citizens from entering their country in response to this.

:facepalm Fucking Jesus.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to News and Politics