It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 10:58 pm

Clinton v Trump: the debates

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Clinton v Trump: the debates

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 27, '16, 7:42 am

How did the first one go?

From the reports, seems Hilary edged Trump and latter's claim he won't release his tax returns until she releases her emails sounded a tad childish. If she has released her tax returns then why not him? Surely a man of his bluster and braggadocio has nothing to hide.....

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Clinton v Trump: the debates

Postby Everlong » Sep 27, '16, 8:32 am

The fact that people view Trump as being anything close to capable of leading this country legitimately scares me. Last night was further indication that the man sooner belongs in an asylum than the oval office.

There were at least a half dozen times where he completely denied saying things that he's repeatedly said time and time again, and all it took was three seconds and a google search to bring it up. Hell, some of this stuff he's said on his own twitter account.

The man is absolutely insane and it's the most depressing thing of all time that half of our country is fucking stupid enough to vote for him.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Sep 27, '16, 10:10 am

Everlong wrote:The fact that people view Trump as being anything close to capable of leading this country legitimately scares me. Last night was further indication that the man sooner belongs in an asylum than the oval office.

There were at least a half dozen times where he completely denied saying things that he's repeatedly said time and time again, and all it took was three seconds and a google search to bring it up. Hell, some of this stuff he's said on his own twitter account.

The man is absolutely insane and it's the most depressing thing of all time that half of our country is fucking stupid enough to vote for him.
This, all of this. The whole debate was a sad example of where we are as a country politically. Listening to Trump speak in adjectives and pronouns, while simultaneously backtracking from comments he clearly made previous is just too much. In comparison Hillary looks like the better choice, but she wasn't even close to where she needs to be. The problem is, I can't tell if she unable to stay on topic or if she just has to spend so much time answering Trump's asinine statements. The parts that really annoyed the shit out of me was everything that had to do with Trump's tax returns, Hillary smiling constantly, Trump's stance on "stop and frisk" and Hillary shilling out her website as a fact checking site. The only things that I liked from last night were the following.

These candidates tweeted out and answered questions to every question during the debates and both looked more presidential than Hillary or Trump.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 27, '16, 11:47 am

^ I doubt Gary "what is Aleppo" Johnson would have looked more presidential up there than Hillary. She did exactly what she needed to do. Let Trump self-destruct and also hit him with some great lines.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby DBSoT » Sep 27, '16, 1:31 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:^ I doubt Gary "what is Aleppo" Johnson would have looked more presidential up there than Hillary. She did exactly what she needed to do. Let Trump self-destruct and also hit him with some great lines.
Gary Johnson also owned up to his mistake which is more than I can say for anything Clinton or Trump has done. I also question people having any concept of what Aleppo actually was before Johnson's interview. Admittedly, as a presidential candidate Johnson should have known what Aleppo was, but people coming out of the wood work pretending to have any idea about it is BS. If the question was asked "What would you do about the issues in Syria, specifically in Aleppo?" He would have answered it just fine. It didn't take Johnson more than a half hour before he owned up the mistake on social media, the View and during TV interviews. He didn't shy away from it and even said he needs to be better than that. That is more presidential than anything Trump has ever done and shows more honesty than Clinton has in her entire candidacy. Hillary was bad last night, but she just happen to be next to a flaming pile of dog shit, so it didn't look as bad. Johnson and Stein would have been up there to challenge Trump and Clinton. Even if you don't believe in Johnson or Stein as candidates, their inclusion would have allowed for sections of actual discussion to occur. People defending Trump/Clinton and disregarding alternatives is sickening because it's proof that people are lazy voters. They don't care about the issues, they only care about whether their party denies the other side from winning. Trump supporters are just there to fight Hillary. It is exactly why you see two-faced Republicans that once denounced Trump are now supporting him. It is why Bernie Sanders was essentially forced to endorse Hillary over someone like Jill Stein, who he has more in common with in terms of policy. Jill Stein even offered Bernie a chance to be at the top of her ticket.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 27, '16, 2:27 pm

The best part was when Donald Trump said, with a straight face, "I have a better temperament than Hillary". Followed by audible spontaneous laughter from the audience.

The fact that Trump has made it this far and has so much support is baffling. The US wonders why race relations are so bad lately, take a look at Trump's poll numbers and it really doesn't seem that hard to understand.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Sep 27, '16, 5:08 pm

I didn't think Hillary was bad at all last night. I actually thought she performed quite well.

Maybe that's just because she was up against literally the worst political candidate in national history, but still. She gave specific solutions to problems and appeared poised.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Suit&Tie » Sep 27, '16, 10:00 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:From the reports, seems Hilary edged Trump and latter's claim he won't release his tax returns until she releases her emails sounded a tad childish.

Wrong. Totally wrong. I never said that. Okay? I never said that. I said that I can't release my tax returns because I'm under a routine audit. So I don't think you heard me. You must be having a hard time tonight.

People ask me how I think I did in the debate, I thought I did fantastically. I've gotten calls from thousands and thousands of temperament experts who are great friends of mine and they tell me, "Donald, your temperament is absolutely tremendous. You looked so calm and composed up there." And by the way - if you take a look, actually I was holding back. It's true! I was holding back. I didn't want to say anything that might be considered rude or disrespectful to Crooked Hillary. I would never do that. But let me just tell you - I was treated very unfairly by the dishonest media. Molester Holt was a terrible moderator. A total mess. He told the audience not to laugh at my jokes but didn't say anything when they laughed at her's. Sad!

Suit&Tie None specified
Mark
Mark

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Topics: 2

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 10, '16, 2:10 pm

So, how was the second debate? Who won it?

From the brief clips, Trump's initial apology seemed insincere when you consider he changed topics so quickly and him looming around Hilary on stage didn't look to great in light of his comments on Friday.

Also it did seem the moderators butted in more with Trump than Clinton..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 10, '16, 7:47 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:So, how was the second debate? Who won it?

From the brief clips, Trump's initial apology seemed insincere when you consider he changed topics so quickly and him looming around Hilary on stage didn't look to great in light of his comments on Friday.

Also it did seem the moderators butted in more with Trump than Clinton..

The moderators did seem to butt in more with Trump, but then again Trump was the one interrupting and refusing to answer questions.

I thought it was another clear win for Hillary, but Trump attacked her more than he did last time, which will score points with his supporters.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Ali » Oct 10, '16, 8:28 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:Trump attacked her more than he did last time, which will score points with his supporters.

And no one else.

This is a comment I never understand. "He scored points with his supporters." At this point, he can spend the debate painting a mural of himself with his own feces and do well with his supporters! They're his supporters, they're not likely to turn on him now. Same with Clinton. Her core is her core, and not much can change that.

The point of the debates is to win over the numerous undecided voters, and Clinton is beating Trump at that. Trump can appeal to his supporters all he wants, that is not going to help him win the debates or the election. i have no idea if he can at this point, with all the scandals coming out against him and all of the support dropping out from under him.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 10, '16, 9:04 pm

Ali wrote:And no one else.

This is a comment I never understand. "He scored points with his supporters." At this point, he can spend the debate painting a mural of himself with his own feces and do well with his supporters! They're his supporters, they're not likely to turn on him now. Same with Clinton. Her core is her core, and not much can change that.

The point of the debates is to win over the numerous undecided voters, and Clinton is beating Trump at that. Trump can appeal to his supporters all he wants, that is not going to help him win the debates or the election. i have no idea if he can at this point, with all the scandals coming out against him and all of the support dropping out from under him.

His supporters thought his last debate performance was underwhelming because he should have gone after Hillary harder. They thought his performance last night was a home run. This is what I meant when I said he scored points, and I think it's worth mentioning if someone wants a more detailed answer on how Trump did.

And for what it's worth, he was pandering to Bernie supporters throughout the whole debate. Maybe Vaderbomb was persuaded to jump on the Trump Train last night, you never know. :P

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 19, '16, 9:56 pm

Third and final debate in the books. Hillary curbstomped Trump once again. A few gems I remember:

-----

Moderator: Will you accept the results of the election if you don't win?

Trump: I don't know, I'll look at it at that time. I'll keep you in suspense.

-------

Hillary: (in response to something Trump said) let me try to translate that for the viewers...

Trump: You can't.

-----

Hillary: Trump's charity used the money to buy a 7-foot portrait of Donald. I mean, who does that?

------

Hillary: My Social Security payroll contribution will go up, as will Donald's — if he can't figure out how to get out of it

Trump: Such a nasty woman.

-------

It's been a fun ride, but I think I'm ready for the Trump show to be and over and done with please.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Daz » Oct 20, '16, 3:39 am

I'm not sure Donald Trump answered one question with any comprehensibility and didn't seem to understand half of the questions being asked of him.

Hillary absolutely destroyed him on pretty much every topic. Whether you like her or think she's trustworthy or not, I'm not sure how anyone could walk away from these debates without thinking she's the more qualified of the candidates to be President.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 20, '16, 3:49 pm

Yeah Trump's done. More importantly, the damage has been done. It's a bad indictment on the Republican party that they have ended up with the candidate they have.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Oct 20, '16, 4:08 pm

Apparently a third party candidate is now winning the polls in Utah, which is crazy for such a clear red state. Trump's lead in Texas is also now smaller than Hillary's in many of the swing states. Unless Clinton is rocked by some massive scandal in the coming days, you have to believe this one is over.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 23, '16, 1:50 pm

Recap of all three debates for anyone who didn't see them.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Return to News and Politics