It is currently: May 08, '24, 7:26 pm

Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 10:56 am

PorkChop wrote:Danielson, I get that you're a fan of Kanye and his music but you're really struggling trying to hold his back in this thread.

Slaves were raped, beaten, and denied the most basic of human rights. Instead of providing irrelevant statistics such as the number of black males in American prisons and twisting that to fit your argument, please show me evidence that Kanye's music label beat, rape and torture him. Then you might be on to something.

So are minorities in prisons in the United States. I mean they're being raped, beaten, and denied of human rights today. This is exactly what Kanye was talking about in "New Slaves". Let me show you the stats again

"Today, there are more African-American adults under correctional control than were enslaved in 1850, before the Civil War."

That statistic is fucking ridiculous. So how was he wrong when he said that slavery still exists today in America? The fact that 1 out of 3 black males are destined to end up in prison sometime is a ridiculous statistic as well.

Now as for labels, they basically trick most artist into contracts that is a form of slavery as well. An artist can make an 11 MILLION dollar profit for a record label and still be paid NOTHING. They just did all that labor to earn nothing in return. In fact, most of them actually end up owing the record label money.

Hip hop artist are even promoting the same content in Willie Lynch's letter of controlling black people. For example, pitting light skin black people against dark skin black people.

Unfortunately, you won't find such evidence. Kanye has access to clean water, healthcare, he works in sanitary conditions and doesn't live in fear of being beaten, raped or murdered every day. On top of that, Kanye West lives a more hedonistic and luxurious lifestyle than most people on the planet.

Okay but Kanye's message on "New Slaves" was not about himself. Also ironically, major labels don't offer healthcare, dental plans, insurance, etc at all. This isn't about Kanye West himself, this is about what he said. The fact that people are mentally enslaved (consumers, musicians etc) and physically (prisoners). I think you're just missing the whole point of what I'm saying.

You keep talking about how terrible the conditions of slavery was, which I understand because my ancestors and great grandparents were slaves as well but I've pointed out how it still exists today. A form of it exists in the music industry, in private owned prisons, etc. Which is what I agree with. I agree 100% about him saying that labels treat musicians like slaves. You're taking the word way too literal. No they aren't be whipped, lynched or picking cotton, but they're working free labor that puts them in debt. They're promoting the same content that was in Willie Lynch's letter.

Kanye probably hires people to do things for him too, such as cleaners and personal shoppers. Isn't that ironic.

What's ironic? LOL, a cleaner for Kanye West probably makes a better salary than most people in middle America. A cleaner doesn't work for free like most musicians do, cleaners don't go into debt because of their employer, cleaners probably have health insurance unlike most musicians today.

You picked a really bad example. A cleaner isn't promoting or broadcasting messages to millions and millions of people in the world.

The impression I've got from this thread is that you don't actually understand what slavery is.

My great grandparents were slaves, I have a slave name. I've constantly been racially profiled in my life, my mom got fired from her job because of her race, and my uncle was incarcerated for an excessive amount of time for self defense.

The irony is a white person trying to tell me about myself. :lol

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 155

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:02 am

Viazon wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Viazon wrote:DanielsonThaGOAT, you are deluded. It frightens me that you agree with Kanye on this matter.

How so? I just explained how artist are mentally enslaved and sign contracts that put them in debt and ruin their lives. Also how these music industries cooperate with private owned prisons to push a certain agenda which leads to the incarceration of young males who basically operate like slaves. Free labor, incarcerated for an excessive amount of time (no way should having a gram of weed earn you a couple years sentence into jail), and being influenced by music.

I've provided details on how the contract for a music artist works and the stats of the prisons in America. Please show me what statistic is incorrect because there's thousands of other people who stand by Kanye West's message on "New Slaves"

You are no better than these crazy Justin Beiber fans who still stick up to him and defend him, even though he spits of his fans, shows up late for concerts, gets a DUI and generally just acts like a class A douche.

So, you have shown proof that how music contracts work and how artists get used by their record companies to make money while getting very little for themselves. Great. Good for you. Doesn't mean anything. Whatever ever happens in the music industry is still nothing like what slavery was like.

It doesn't mean anything? Hold on, a person went on tour for 6 months, recorded an album, has to do all this work and is being forced to promote negative shit and earns ZERO DOLLARS and that DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING? Actually most of them end up into millions of debt and that isn't supposed to mean anything?

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby Viazon » Aug 08, '14, 11:06 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Viazon wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Viazon wrote:DanielsonThaGOAT, you are deluded. It frightens me that you agree with Kanye on this matter.

How so? I just explained how artist are mentally enslaved and sign contracts that put them in debt and ruin their lives. Also how these music industries cooperate with private owned prisons to push a certain agenda which leads to the incarceration of young males who basically operate like slaves. Free labor, incarcerated for an excessive amount of time (no way should having a gram of weed earn you a couple years sentence into jail), and being influenced by music.

I've provided details on how the contract for a music artist works and the stats of the prisons in America. Please show me what statistic is incorrect because there's thousands of other people who stand by Kanye West's message on "New Slaves"

You are no better than these crazy Justin Beiber fans who still stick up to him and defend him, even though he spits of his fans, shows up late for concerts, gets a DUI and generally just acts like a class A douche.

So, you have shown proof that how music contracts work and how artists get used by their record companies to make money while getting very little for themselves. Great. Good for you. Doesn't mean anything. Whatever ever happens in the music industry is still nothing like what slavery was like.

It doesn't mean anything? Hold on, a person went on tour for 6 months, recorded an album, has to do all this work and is being forced to promote negative shit and earns ZERO DOLLARS and that DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING? Actually most of them end up into millions of debt and that isn't supposed to mean anything?

It's still not the same as slavery.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:09 am

Viazon wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Viazon wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

It's still not the same as slavery.

It's not institutionalized slavery but it's still a form a slavery.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 11:13 am

^ It's fundamentally different to slavery in pretty much every way possible.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:14 am

Rappers talking about oppressive, unfair record deals, the false trappings of capitalism and the prison industrial complex is not new to hip hop, but it’s usually the underground, unsigned and/or activists, artists who talk about it.
But well-known artists, including Kanye West and rising star J. Cole, have raised these topics in recent music. Kanye and J. Cole had CDs released on the same date, June 18, the day before the annual Juneteenth celebrations in the Black community. Could this be a new trend with more artists unafraid, fed up and/or frustrated enough to confront and analyze more complex, relevant social topics in their music?

“After years of some of the most self-hating and ignorant music our people have ever been forced to digest, this is definitely new and refreshing what J. Cole and Kanye West are saying. I hope it spreads like wildfire to other artists. We need balance back in all forms of Black music, no question,” said Kevin Powell, president and cofounder of BK Nation, a new national organization based in New York City.

J. Cole’s project, “Born Sinner” has a track titled “Runaway” where he discusses how a conversation with his racist manager had him thinking about the legacy of chattel slavery in America: “Made me reflect on the time when we was 3/5s of them/chains and powerless/brave souls reduced to cowardice … ”

Then he makes the connection to today: “Rich white man rule the nation still/Only difference is we all slaves now, the chains still concealed.”

Kanye’s new release, “Yeezus” has a track titled “New Slaves” which rails against racism, capitalism and the prison industrial complex: “My momma was raised in an era when, clean water was only served to the fairer skin ... use to be only n----rs now everybody playing, spending everything on Alexander Wang … meanwhile the DEA teamed up with the CCA.

They trying to lock niggas up, they trying to make a new state. See that’s the privately-owned prison, get your piece today.”
DEA refers to the Drug Enforcement Association and the CCA refers to the Corrections Corporation of America, which along with the GEO Group are the two biggest corporations that operate for profit prisons and detention centers in the United States.

Even in Lil Wayne’s latest project “I Am Not a Human Being Part 2,” he ruminates about if he will die today or go to jail right after these lyrics in a song titled “God Bless America:” “Yeah, my country tis of thee, Sweet land of kill ‘em all and let ‘em die, God bless America, uh, This so Godless America.”

Both the Republican and Democratic parties have supported the increased incarceration rate.
Initially, Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan pushed and established the current drug war policies that caused the prison population to jump, but Bill Clinton leaned heavily to the right with “tough on crime” policies that continued the Republican policies and caused a boom in the prison population. There is no sign that trend has changed. Vice President Joe Biden, a senator during the Clinton administration, wrote the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, which, among other things, called for $9.7 billion in increased funding for prisons and stiffer penalties for drug offenders.

One can actually go back to the Constitution itself to see the root of current policies. The 13th Amendment of the Constitution outlawed slavery except for criminals. It reads: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”

So, a convicted person is legally a slave. Consequently, slavery was never fully abolished, and prisoners in America have very little to almost no rights at all.

The 2011 U.S. incarceration rate of 716 people per 100,000 is the highest in the world and more than 60 percent of the people in prison are racial and ethnic minorities. For Black males in their thirties, 1 in every 10 is in prison or jail on any given day. These trends have been intensified by the disproportionate impact of the war on drugs, in which two-thirds of all persons in prison for drug offenses are people of color, according to the Sentencing Project.
If you can’t find work at a major U.S. company, just go to jail, you’ll find work quickly. According to Russia Today, hundreds of American companies such as Starbucks, Nintendo, Victoria’s Secret, JC Penney, Sears, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Eddie Bauer, Wendy’s, Proctor & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, Fruit of the Loom, Motorola, Caterpiller, Sara Lee, Quaker Oats, Mary Kay, or Microsoft use prison labor. Lucky prisoners get minimum wage, others get pennies an hour and yet others, no pay at all.

Some prisons have commercials advertising their captive workforce that never has baby sitting or transportation problems. Prison labor is being harvested on a massive scale, according to professors Steve Fraser, editor-at-large of New Labor Forum and Joshua B. Freeman, who teaches history at Queens College and at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York and is affiliated with its Joseph S. Murphy Labor Institute.

“All told, nearly a million prisoners are now making office furniture, working in call centers, fabricating body armor, taking hotel reservations, working in slaughterhouses, or manufacturing textiles, shoes, and clothing, while getting paid somewhere between 93 cents and $4.73 per day,” the professors said.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Aug 08, '14, 11:15 am

^^^ Slaves have no choice whether they are slaves or not. Kanye can walk away from being a rapper any time he wants and go get his ass a real job, if he feels so underappreciated and undervalued in the music industry and feels like he should be making more money - prove it somewhere else. The music industry's practices are what they are and there's plenty of people in the music industry that don't seem to have the same problems that his greedy ass does.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:21 am

The Legend wrote:^^^ Slaves have no choice whether they are slaves or not. Kanye can walk away from being a rapper any time he wants and go get his ass a real job, if he feels so underappreciated and undervalued in the music industry and feels like he should be making more money - prove it somewhere else.

This isn't about money at all. This isn't even about Kanye West himself, it's about what he said.

The music industry's practices are what they are and there's plenty of people in the music industry that don't seem to have the same problems that his greedy ass does.

"the music industry's practices are what they are" lmao. Way to be awfully dismissive of that. Degrading black women, pitting light skin people against dark skin people, appropriating white culture, sounds a lot like Willie Lynch.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '14, 11:23 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:It doesn't mean anything? Hold on, a person went on tour for 6 months, recorded an album, has to do all this work and is being forced to promote negative shit and earns ZERO DOLLARS and that DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING? Actually most of them end up into millions of debt and that isn't supposed to mean anything?

Any performer that become extremely famous and successful end up earning a lot of money. It's understood that if they don't reach that point, they might have to struggle for a while but that's the risk they take for a shot at making it big. It's not like the Kanye Wests of the world are struggling to put food on the table. It's not like they're completely impeded in what they're allowed to do or say either, because Kanye seems to say whatever dumb thing pops into his head at any given time.

Also, making more money for your employer than for yourself is part of being employed in any industry. If you work in a supermarket, your wages aren't going to be remotely close to the amount of supplies you sell. And why would they be? That extra money is needed for other expenses; to keep the business running. It's the same with the music industry.

And lets be clear here: these celebrities all have a choice. They can retire and work in a bakery if they like. They can go back to school. They don't have owners forcing them to do anything. They chose the celebrity lifestyle in the first place. Again comparing them to slaves, who never had a choice in what they could do, is super insulting.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Danielson, I get that you're a fan of Kanye and his music but you're really struggling trying to hold his back in this thread.

Slaves were raped, beaten, and denied the most basic of human rights. Instead of providing irrelevant statistics such as the number of black males in American prisons and twisting that to fit your argument, please show me evidence that Kanye's music label beat, rape and torture him. Then you might be on to something.

So are minorities in prisons in the United States. I mean they're being raped, beaten, and denied of human rights today. This is exactly what Kanye was talking about in "New Slaves".

Nobody is disputing this! You keep changing the parameters of the argument and then dumping a bunch of information onto the screen to try and prevent people from disagreeing with you. Yes, there is a problem with how minorities are treated in prisons in the United States. I agree 100%. Nobody is taking exception to Kanye expressing this opinion. We're taking exception to him saying that being a celebrity is like being a black civil rights campaigner in the 1960s.

Even the music industry comments aren't particularly on topic, because he wasn't making a comment on the music industry in general. He was talking about celebrities and the paparazzi. He's not sympathising with any struggling artists here. Just the rich and famous ones that have almost everything they want, but would sure love some peace and quiet too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:31 am

Even the music industry comments aren't particularly on topic, because he wasn't making a comment on the music industry in general. He was talking about celebrities and the paparazzi. He's not sympathising with any struggling artists here. Just the rich and famous ones that have almost everything they want, but would sure love some peace and quiet too.

Before I respond to your post

I don't agree with his point about celebrities and the 60s. I think his stance on that is completely wrong.

However I agree with what he said in "New Slaves" which is what I've been trying to explain. My comments and posts have nothing to do with celebrities or paparazzi. I'm addressing the hip hop industry and how it's been used to corrupt young black males or promote negativity amongst themselves. This isn't about how much money Kanye's making or how famous he is but about his stance on the industry.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 08, '14, 11:33 am

People are right to say that all these entertainers are perfectly free to walk away and live a life away from the spotlight and prying eyes. Not only that, Kanye West and other famous celebrities are well compensated for their work. They can easily "retire" from the industry altogether, and move to a quiet neighbourhood outside of California.

With the millions upon millions of dollars they have made over their careers. They can live a good life the rest of their days without lifting a finger if they want.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 11:35 am

This thread, or I should say Danielson's opinions, are absolutely ridiculous. I'm quite scared that someone actually thinks the way Danielson is thinking.

Danielson, please open a history book and read about slavery, particularly slavery in America. From what I've gathered in this thread, you know painfully little about this period in history, as there's no fucking way you can equate it to being a modern-day rapper. It's laughable that you're trying to.

I'm half tempted to lock this thread, to be honest. I'm still waiting on Danielson to post some relevant information and contribute to the actual discussion, instead of finding irrelevant statistics and twisting them to fit his already paper-thin argument.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Aug 08, '14, 11:39 am

PorkChop wrote:This thread, or I should say Danielson's opinions, are absolutely ridiculous. I'm quite scared that someone actually thinks the way Danielson is thinking.

What's even more scary is that it's coming from a black man who ancestors were slaves.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:41 am

PorkChop wrote:This thread, or I should say Danielson's opinions, are absolutely ridiculous. I'm quite scared that someone actually thinks the way Danielson is thinking.

Danielson, please open a history book and read about slavery, particularly slavery in America. From what I've gathered in this thread, you know painfully little about this period in history, as there's no fucking way you can equate it to being a modern-day rapper. It's laughable that you're trying to.

My great grandparents were slaves, I have a slave name. I've constantly been racially profiled in my life, my mom got fired from her job because of her race, and my uncle was incarcerated for an excessive amount of time for self defense.

If you're scared what I'm thinking, you should probably be scared of most minorities in the United States because they express the same frustration as well.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 11:46 am

Danielson's just played the race card in the chatbox, guys. It's over, he's won.

Apparently as I'm white and not from the United States, I know nothing about slavery. Because as Danielson has demonstrated in this thread, he has a deep and intricate knowledge of it. I was wrong, we're all wrong.

I shall subsequently be banning white people from this discussion.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:48 am

PorkChop wrote:Danielson's just played the race card in the chatbox, guys. It's over, he's won.

Apparently as I'm white and not from the United States, I know nothing about slavery. Because as Danielson has demonstrated in this thread, he has a deep and intricate knowledge of it. I was wrong, we're all wrong.

I shall subsequently be banning white people from this discussion.

You said slavery existed in the 1960s in America. When did I say everyone else is wrong? I mean honestly, Hanley is the only one giving thoughtful responses while you just slander me for no reason.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '14, 11:50 am

PorkChop wrote:I shall subsequently be banning white people from this discussion.

Does Irish count as white?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 11:54 am

Hanley! wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I shall subsequently be banning white people from this discussion.

Does Irish count as white?

Yes. You can only contribute to this thread now if you're from the United States and black. As you're not, I can conclusively say you know fuck all about this period in history, Steve.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '14, 11:55 am

I actually studied American history in college ... that doesn't help though, does it?

I'll see myself out.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Aug 08, '14, 12:12 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:If you're scared what I'm thinking, you should probably be scared of most minorities in the United States because they express the same frustration as well.

Welcome to the most ridiculous thing said in this post. Sorry, you may be a black man, but you don't get to speak for all black men. I've spoken with and become friends with plenty of minorities and trust me when I say not a single one of them shares your views on this matter. You are playing to a perception which is as much of a problem as anything when it comes from either side.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics