It is currently: May 11, '24, 11:21 am

Bobby Roode and Eric Young leave TNA

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Bobby Roode and Eric Young leave TNA

Postby The Legend » Mar 20, '16, 1:50 pm

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Re: Bobby Roode and Eric Young leave INA

Postby Hanley! » Mar 20, '16, 1:56 pm

They might not have too many years left in their careers, but it'd be nice to see one or both of them in NXT for a while. Particularly Roode, who's still probably one of the better wrestlers in the world and already works the WWE style. I'm hopeful that they might land a spot in NXT, given that WWE really seems to have relaxed its anti-TNA stance over the last year. They'll never mention that these wrestlers used to work in TNA, but that's just fine.

I think it's the right move for them to get out of TNA now, either way. It seems that TNA has been putting on good shows lately - probably much better than Raw. But it's still a company on the decline and Young and Roode have already done everything they can with the company. If TNA is to become relevant again, they need to create new stars and that's not going to be Roode or Young. And if Roode or Young want their careers to grow or change, they'll need to do it with another company.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 20, '16, 3:30 pm

Two good talents that can work any kind of role and will probably go far in NXT. I didn't give a shit about Eric Young for a long time, but he was really bringing it as a psychotic heel when I last saw INA.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Daz » Mar 20, '16, 4:08 pm

TNA has slowly been hemorrhaging money and talent for a while now. Their product may have improved, but it does feel like it's too little too late. Eric Young, of all people, kinda feels like a death knell for the company.

Bobby Roode joining NXT would more than make up for the void left by Zayn, Joe or Balor (when they eventually get called up) and would be a great pickup for them. James Storm is probably kicking himself a little bit though.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Hanley! » Mar 20, '16, 4:47 pm

Daz wrote:TNA has slowly been hemorrhaging money and talent for a while now. Their product may have improved, but it does feel like it's too little too late. Eric Young, of all people, kinda feels like a death knell for the company.

Bobby Roode joining NXT would more than make up for the void left by Zayn, Joe or Balor (when they eventually get called up) and would be a great pickup for them. James Storm is probably kicking himself a little bit though.

Yeah, the product is getting better but some of their problems are still glaringly obvious even watching the show. Their production value is getting worse. Their roster is also already incredibly thin. They're lacking talent in basically every division. They're putting on good matches, but between the same handful of guys. Without the ability to hire (or keep) stars, there's only so much good the writers and the guys in the ring can do to make up for the lack of resources.

I doubt James Storm is kicking himself though. He left TNA before, and it seems unlikely to me that he simply had a change of heart. Either WWE wasn't interested in him after his couple of performances, or they lowballed him in terms of salary and TNA were offering him a more lucrative deal. He would have jumped ship if he had been given the opportunity, I'm sure.

It's a shame too. Part of me isn't surprised, as he's an older guy but without being in the kind of crazy good shape that someone like AJ Styles is in. He doesn't have the look or the fitness WWE tends to go for. But on the flip side, he would have been one of the five best promo guys in the entire company (and that's being conservative) the minute he walked through the door. So it's not like he didn't have anything to offer.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Mar 20, '16, 6:33 pm

I read that Meltzer said last night he's heard they're both WWE bound, but hasn't been able to confirm it yet. So take that as you will.

I was never a big Eric Young fan back when I watched TNA, although it's possible his best stuff has been in the past few years. Roode is really good though, even now I'm sure.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Re: Bobby Roode and Eric Young leave TNA

Postby Hanley! » Mar 20, '16, 6:46 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I read that Meltzer said last night he's heard they're both WWE bound, but hasn't been able to confirm it yet. So take that as you will.

I was never a big Eric Young fan back when I watched TNA, although it's possible his best stuff has been in the past few years. Roode is really good though, even now I'm sure.

Young has always been crazy talented, and I think that's been pretty clear throughout his TNA run. The problem was that he suffered from bad booking far more than most. He was given some really wacky gimmicks and silly angles. He made a lot of them work, to be fair. He showed a lot of range in playing everything from a dumb comedy babyface to a psycho heel. He's just someone that's always been hard to take seriously due to both the wacky material he's been given, and the lack of consistency with the character.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby PorkChop » Mar 21, '16, 8:07 am

I've never been a big fan of Eric Young but he's better than some on WWE's main roster.

Roode could be a good upper mid-card guy with the right booking. Always been a fan of his.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby The Legend » Mar 21, '16, 12:35 pm

I'm not a fan of Eric Young as a wrestler in particular. I think his best role would be as a manager.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 331

Postby prophet » Mar 21, '16, 5:20 pm

Glad to see the two of them get off the sinking ship; they'll both be able to make better money as freelancers. I like Roode but I feel like maybe WWE has passed him by.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to General Wrestling Discussion