It is currently: May 23, '24, 12:25 am

Greatest Match Round 1: Savage/Steamboat WM3 vs. Angle/Benoit RR2003

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Which match was better?

Poll ended at Jun 29, '15, 1:55 pm

Savage/Steamboat
33%
Angle/Benoit
67%

Total votes : 18

Greatest Match Round 1: Savage/Steamboat WM3 vs. Angle/Benoit RR2003

Postby Everlong » Jun 23, '15, 1:55 pm

SquaredCircle's Greatest Match of All Time!

(4) "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat, WrestleMania III

VS

(5) Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003

VOTE NOW for which you liked better. Voting will last six days. In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by which match had more people commenting in its favor.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Greatest Match Round 1: Savage/Steamboat WM3 vs. Angle/Benoit RR2003

Postby prophet » Jun 23, '15, 1:59 pm

Ah come on, now.

You guys aren't going to get pissed if I just tell you I voted for Savage/Steamboat and leave it at that? I promise I'll go in-depth in the later rounds :lol

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KaiserGlider » Jun 24, '15, 12:42 am

Just watched both matches back-to-back. Angle/Benoit wins this one. Savage/Steamboat has a great atmosphere, but I liked the style of Angle/Benoit more and they paced their match better. I legit thought it was over after that second Angle Slam, and the submission counters were awesome. If Benoit had won the world title here instead of at Wrestlemania 20, I reckon this match would be a lot more memorable than it is.

Also, Michael Cole was really on top of his game during this time period. Haha I loved it Maggle!

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby CubsIn5 » Jun 24, '15, 1:09 pm

Steamboat/Savage is the match I show people to get them into wrestling. It has an unbeleivable success rate. That match encompasses so many things I love about wrestling (a good portion of which being Randy Savage).

CubsIn5 None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 14

Postby The Legend » Jun 26, '15, 8:36 am

CubsIn5 wrote:Steamboat/Savage is the match I show people to get them into wrestling. It has an unbeleivable success rate. That match encompasses so many things I love about wrestling (a good portion of which being Randy Savage).

Agree completely. Savage/Steamboat is the quintessential wrestling match. It losing here is incredibly disappointing.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Circled Square » Jun 26, '15, 8:38 am

How the hell is Angle/Benoit winning this poll? Savage/Steamboat is way better.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby KaiserGlider » Jun 27, '15, 6:13 pm

Tied at 6-6 so far. Which way is this gonna swing?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » Jun 27, '15, 8:28 pm

I'm gonna watch both matches tomorrow and cast my vote :tim

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Jun 27, '15, 8:53 pm

We might get to this one tomorrow. We've been kinda busy, so this tournament has been a little difficult to keep up with over the last few days.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kirbi » Jun 28, '15, 1:30 pm

Just got in! Angle/Benoit gets my vote, but not by a particularly large margin. Both matches were really great; pace-y, enjoyable, exciting, immersive - all that good stuff.

I did prefer the back-and-forth action in the Angle/Benoit match, to the slight underdog tale in Steamboat/Savage. I felt like it was a more equal, and more hotly contested match. I also wasn't a huge fan of the interference in Steamboat/Savage; even though it was pretty mild, I just didn't respond to it.

Still, these are fairly minor gripes. It was a great match, with a really hot crowd - Angle/Benoit just edged it for me.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby Circled Square » Jun 28, '15, 1:31 pm

This is a travesty. I blame immigrants. Savage/Steamboat >>>>>>>>

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Jun 28, '15, 1:40 pm

Yeah, I surprised myself by going with Benoit/Angle. I really enjoyed Steamboat/Savage, don't get me wrong. I have no major problems with that match. But Benoit/Angle was a notch above.

I think what makes these contests difficult to judge is that some of these matches are from very different eras and people had very different expectations going in. Compare Steamboat/Savage to the standard at the time and it's leagues ahead. We were a bit more used to that quality and pace 16 years later when Angle/Benoit had their match. So in terms of their place in wrestling history, Savage/Steamboat is more memorable and was probably the greatest match of all time if you 'adjust for inflation' so to speak. If I hadn't watched both of these matches back one after another, I would have voted for Steamboat/Savage.

But I did watch them both back earlier today, and I'm just a sucker for the back and forth competition and the counters on display in Angle/Benoit. I love seeing talented wrestlers trading submissions and fighting in and out of submissions. I love seeing wrestlers counter big moves creatively, and cheeky roll-ups out of nowhere. All of this was on display in Angle and Benoit's match. It was pacey, it was exciting and just a notch above almost everything I've seen in the tournament so far.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Viazon » Jun 28, '15, 4:22 pm

Had to go with Benoit and Angle here. I remember it being an awesome match when I first watched it and forget how brilliant it was. The back and forth action was awesome. The constant reversals were a joy to watch. These two knew each other so well and they had fought each other so many times, they just knew they could steal the show whenever they face each other.

Steamboat vs Savage was a brilliant match in its own right. Thoroughly enjoyed watching and I get what Hanley says about "adjusting for inflation" but Benoit/Angle was just slightly more enjoyable for me.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Return to General Wrestling Discussion