It is currently: Jun 04, '24, 12:33 pm

PCW Interview #2 - SKS

For members of the PCW efederation.

Moderator: Str8Shooter

PCW Interview #2 - SKS

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 04, '14, 6:45 pm

PCW Interview #2 - SKS

Kaiser: Thank you for joining me, Señor Kendo Stick. First off I'll jump into a question many people have probably wanted to ask you. PCW was supposed to represent a new beginning for sim fedding in our community, and Spencer Miller has become known as the character who really took advantage of that "new beginning". Miller came into PCW with a new attitude and within the first 3 shows attacked Nick Foster, Daz, and Ryan Haynes. How did Spencer Miller's repackaging/transformation come about? How would you say the Spencer Miller of WCSF compares with the Spencer Miller of PCW?

SKS: Thanks for having me. I certainly saw PCW as a new beginning for Spencer Miller. I had contemplated creating a new character, but I felt that Miller had so much more to accomplish as a character. He hadn't broken out yet, and I was thinking of ideas of what I could do with his gimmick in PCW. I feel that the cocky, loudmouth heel version of Miller had run it's course, and it conflicts with a lot of other of those type of heels on the roster. I couldn't see Miller as a face just yet, but I wanted to make him a dangerous bruiser type guy. Someone that commands respect.

I know the first segment Miller was planned to have in PCW was a “Breaking News” segment, but we talked on Skype about changing him up. He'd be more of a dark, mysterious ass kicker, and a lot more soft spoken than he once was. I think he only said one sentence in the first 5 PCW shows combined, haha. I thought the chance to revamp his character really paid off, as I'm really enjoying writing him as what I like to call a Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose hybrid. I thought the old Miller had his moments, his two championships, but I think current Miller is everything that he could have been, with still more to be achieved. Of course, he's not entirely different, and I think we'll see some shades of his old persona still present.

Kaiser: Going off of that last question, how would describe the differences between WCSF and PCW as a whole? The atmosphere? The format? Or anything else?

SKS: WCSF was a great time, but I think PCW is just that much better. I think the atmosphere is awesome, I feel a sense that everyone realizes we're all on the same team here. There's no drama like there was a bit in the WCSF (Starlets come to mind), it doesn't seem to be about winning matches or getting championships – with my ego aside :P, it's about having a good time and just enjoying yourself, making the PCW as a whole, a better “product”.

I also love the format here in PCW. I was never a big fan of waiting for a certain amount of comments on a particular show to start the new one, as some people are just not made for commenting. It just drags everyone else along and keeps them waiting, but I think the way the PCW cards are distributed are crisp, not too short or too long between cards, and there isn't pressure to write a bunch of comments either.

I also really enjoy the “freedom” we have as writers in PCW. Nothing is really off limits (except a live sex scene, I'd assume) and it gives you the creative freedom to have matches the way you want, besides the winner of course. For example, Last Man Standing with Prophet – we were just told Foster wins. That's it. Everything else was left for us to figure out, which was awesome, as we got to brainstorm different ideas and decide how we wanted to go about it. The mod team is also very easy to talk to and get along with and open to different ideas, I know I bludgeon you with creative ideas all the time hehe.

Kaiser: In one of our Skype convos we talked about the structuring of the PCW roster, and you mentioned that one of the reasons Miller has become a more prominent character than ever before was that it's easier to "get over" in PCW, due to the smaller size of the roster and the presence of less big time players or main eventers. Do you think PCW would be better if it tries to maintain that same roster size and structure, or try to expand and bring in more veteran writers or characters?

SKS: I think the smaller roster in PCW certainly helps us writers get our characters “over”. I believe it was difficult to get over in WCSF because the massive roster and the list of amazing characters. It's hard to break through when you have guys like Daz, Mark Thomas, Andrew Logan, Desmond Frazier, Dynamite, Mike Maverick, Johnny Devine, Alex Morgan, Kaiser Cavanah, Delroy Andrews, Omega, and so on. I think a good chunk of WCSF made the cross over, a bunch with some new characters which freshened everything up quite a bit, and I think we're at a good size right now.

The smaller roster really puts everyone under the spotlight and lets everyone shine if they take the opportunity to do so. Just because you're getting the opportunity doesn't automatically make everything you write great, but I think there's an extra incentive to give it your best when you know people are caring about your stuff. I'm a fan of the roster size as it is, we have a good tag division, mid card, and main event scene IMO. Of course, I'd never be against new members joining (just don't take Miller's spot :P), and I'm interested to see how the recent sign ups are involved with the show.

Kaiser: You're now working with Daz, which is something you've always wanted to do, as you've told me over Skype. Tell us why you're looking forward to the opportunity to work with him.

SKS: I think Daz, the character and the writer, is the best in the business. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that everyone would like to work with Daz at some point in their character's career. We never really had a proper feud in WCSF, Daz eventually joined Miller as a member of the British Lions but there wasn't much of an interaction between the two like I had hoped for. His matches and segments are top class, really gets you into what's going on, like you're sitting at ringside watching. And of course, there's so much history behind Daz the character, being a WCSF Hall Of Famer, the multiple championships, really elevates that status of whoever is fending off against him. I'm sure I'll get some butterflies writing in the Daz vs Miller match, the first singles match between the two. Kinda like an “I've made it” moment, haha.

Kaiser: Your Last Man Standing match with Prophet at Oblivion was highly praised. So with that in mind, what has been the best match you've written so far in your sim-fedding career? What has been your best segment? Any other favorite moments Miller's been involved in?

SKS: I really, REALLY, enjoyed how Last Man Standing ended up. Prophet is a brilliant writer and deserves a ton of credit for his sim fed work, Nick Foster is really shining bright in PCW. I'd have to say that that's the best match I've taken part in. I also had a blast taking part in the Escalation match, which really signaled that PCW was for real.

The International Championship match against Dylan Kyle at Revolution was one of my favorite matches of Miller's. The WCSF World Championship match against Mark Thomas at Wednesday Night Warzone was also fun, I just wish it could have been a full program. International Warfare at Annihilation was also a great one, that whole UK vs US storyline was enjoyable. Of course, I can't forget the Miller/Delroy Andrews match with Supreme Thunder in which we won the Tag Team Championships.

I believe my first ever sim fed match was Miller against Flash in a dark match, my “tryout” for WCSF. Speaking of that, HFX has been an integral part in my sim fed career and I probably wouldn't be around if not for him. <3. My favorite segment, man, that's a tough one. I'd have to go with the “Breaking News” segment where Miller and his assistant Jerry play football with Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney. Favorite moments would be Miller going wild after being eliminated in the Escalation match, swinging that chair like a mad man, and can't forget his WCSF debut, costing Danny Vegas & Max Gamble the tag team titles.

Kaiser: Since that last question focused on the past, let's now look to the future. How do you see Spencer Miller's PCW future panning out? Is there another writer you'd like to work with, or a character you'd love to have Miller feud with?

SKS: Of course, I'd love for Miller to be involved in the PCW title picture :P. I'm not quite sure to be honest what happens after the feud with Daz. Perhaps Miller & Omega can rekindle their past history. I'm sure he won't be happy about what's gone on with Flash after all. Always fun to work with HFX as well. Don't see this happening anytime soon, but I'd love to work a Miller vs Kaiser feud. Remember that match we wrote for a WCSF House Show? I have to have that saved somewhere... A proper singles feud between Delroy Andrews and Spencer Miller would be awesome, if AKY wasn't so stubborn and would just join PCW already!

Kaiser: Are you a match guy or a promo guy? Which do you prefer to write, and which do you prefer to read?

SKS: I think I enjoy writing promos more to be honest. I feel that I'm better at it, and most times, it doesn't take as long as a match. Nothing feels better than writing a sinister promo from Miller, since I'm a nice guy in real life (I promise) it's cool to say things I'd probably never say to anyone. I'd like to think that if I was a wrestler in real life, I'd be great at cutting promos, but I'm pretty shy and lack charisma.

Writing matches of course is fun, especially when you don't have a match all the time, like in PCW so far. You really “up the ante” because you know the match is special. I really don't have much a preference in terms of what I enjoy reading, as long as it's good stuff, I'm all for it.

Kaiser: You recently posted your "PCW Power Rankings" for Oblivion. Do you have any ideas on what people can do or post to create some activity in the PCW section during its down time? The down time usually occurs between the new card getting sent out and the show getting posted.

SKS: I thought the power rankings would be a cool idea, as the WWE used to do their “Top 25” on their website a while back, which I enjoyed reading. I think the interviews are a great way to keep activity going during the down time as it gives members something of substance to read and take part in. Perhaps some more PCW youtube segments would be fun, or maybe a “locker room atmosphere” type thread where writers can talk in character to others. I think the “Insider Report” is also quite fun to read!

Kaiser: What are your thoughts on WWE currently? Is there anything they can learn from us, and is there anything PCW can take from them?

SKS: I'm loving MOST of the WWE currently, I think Daniel Bryan is great and I've really enjoyed his build up to 'Mania. Triple H is an excellent heel, same with Randy Orton. Batista though I think is just shit. I feel Triple H vs Randy Orton vs Daniel Bryan would have been a class main event. Tag division is entertaining, 'Taker is what 'Taker is. John Cena vs Bray Wyatt is what I'm looking forward to the most. The feud has been superb.

I think the WWE can learn to push the people with talent rather than “recognition”. I feel that every top spot in PCW is filled by someone who is really doing well, there's really no weak spot on the roster right now. I'm not sure if there's anything we can take from the WWE because you don't want to be too similar. After all, this is a fictional federation so there is some leeway with what goes on. Not everything has to be super realistic, in a sense.

Kaiser: Let's play word association. I give you a name or thing, you give me the first thing that comes to mind:

Kaiser: - KaiserGlider
SKS: Yu-Gi-Oh

Kaiser: - Nick Foster
SKS: The movie “Warrior”

Kaiser: - Dylan Kyle
SKS: Herpes

Kaiser: - HFX
SKS:THE BUFFALO

Kaiser: - Hanley
SKS: Dr. Who

Kaiser: - Tim
SKS: Wisconsin

Kaiser: - Drake Bernard
SKS: Entertainment

Kaiser: - The British Lions
SKS: “Why so British?”

Kaiser: - PCW
SKS: Push Spencer Miller

Kaiser: And with that, our interview concludes. I wanna thank SKS for joining me this evening. Goodbye from me, and I look forward to interviewing the next PCW writer that joins me in the hot seat.

:tim

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: PCW Interview #2 - SKS

Postby prophet » Apr 05, '14, 6:41 am

Nice interview, I always enjoy reading these. Agree that the smaller roster to begin with certainly helped us get our characters over and we're approaching a point where is the names you mentioned were to come back and join PCW now the likes of Foster and Miller wouldn't look out of place competing against/alongside them. For as long as I've known SKS he's gone on and on about how he'd like to work with Daz so now that's happening I'm really expecting his game to elevate to a whole new level. You get better working with better writers and now SKS has the feud he's been after I think there's a pressure on him to deliver now so I'll be watching that program carefully haha.

Cheers for the kind words, too. :cheers

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Phoenix Championship Wrestling (PCW)