It is currently: May 03, '24, 7:27 pm

Where is CM Punk on your 'greatest WWE wrestlers of all time' list?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Where is CM Punk on your 'greatest WWE wrestlers of all time' list?

Postby PorkChop » Sep 07, '16, 2:23 pm

Now that CM Punk's time in the WWE is over and the dust has settled, what would you consider his legacy to be? Would you consider him one of the greatest WWE wrestlers of all time?

I remember seeing some people's 'greatest of all time' lists on here at some point, and if I remember correctly, many people had him fairly high up. Some had him quite firmly in the top 10.

Hindsight is 20/20, but where would you put him now? I think I'd probably have him in my top 10 WWE guys of all time, but not above Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Guerrero, and probably a couple of others.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Where is CM Punk on your 'greatest WWE wrestlers of all time' list?

Postby Hanley! » Sep 07, '16, 3:44 pm

Not sure I'd have him on my top 10 wrestlers of all time list. His booking rarely helped him, outside of a handful of golden moments, he didn't get the prolonged run on top that he deserved, and in terms of in the ring stuff he wasn't as good as people made out.

However, he'd definitely be up there near the top of my list for the greatest wrestling talkers of all time. I think he was a better promo than a lot of the guys that people usually talk up. He was better than the Rock, Austin, Jericho, Triple H ... almost all of the Attitude Era guys really, although you could make an argument for Foley.

My list would probably change from day to day, but if you asked me right now I'd probably rank him as my second favourite promo in wrestling, second only to Jake Roberts.

Overall, it's hard to judge how high up he ranks in terms of the greatest of all time. But he was great, for sure. He was special. He should have been the face of the company for a few years, and he never got that chance. I think a lot of people have been trying to convince themselves that Punk wasn't that good now that he's gone from the company. The truth is, the product has missed him pretty badly.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Circled Square » Sep 07, '16, 3:54 pm

Liked his shit with Cena and Jeff Hardy. Pipebomb was a great moment. Blame creative all you want but his year long title reign was so phoned it, injuries or not even in the ring he was sloppy.

He would be in my top 30 though

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 07, '16, 4:47 pm

I would say probably Top 25 of all time. I'm not sure what we're using as a basis for the ranking though, if it's just our favourites the ranking would vary greatly. It's no secret I'm not much of a fan his his personality and I believe his own attitude likely played a bigger role than he'd like to admit in his downfall in WWE.

He was one of the top guys of his Era but not the top guy. I'm not sure how much a "star" he actually was and if he wasn't in UFC I'm not sure how much anyone would care about him with him out of the spotlight completely.

That being said I would say I was a fan of his work and he'll always have a place as one of the defining people of the 2009-2014 Era, although weirdly his role was basically usurped by the rise of Daniel Bryan.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Sep 08, '16, 10:08 am

Yeah I think Top 25 is fair as far as WWE goes. He might crack my top 20. While he was one of my favorites at the time, he just didn't have the longevity that plenty of other guys did.

However, I DO think Punk needs to be credited for his influence on where WWE is currently heading. Guys like Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Finn Balor, Kevin Owens etc. really have Punk to thank for blazing the trail for indy stars and less conventional looking wrestlers.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Sep 11, '16, 9:47 am

Somewhere around 20, longevity is pretty important to me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby EmperorWu » Sep 11, '16, 9:49 pm

I like the dude but he doesn't rank on mine.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Return to WWE