It is currently: May 09, '24, 10:27 am

Is the RKO still the best finisher in the WWE?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Is the RKO still the best finisher in the WWE?

Postby Hanley! » Jul 29, '16, 4:02 pm

I'm saying yes.

If you think the company has something better, let me know what it is.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Is the RKO still the best finisher in the WWE?

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jul 29, '16, 4:58 pm

I always thought that the school boy roll up was devastating and effective. But yes, the RKO is the best on hand, especially when it comes out of nowhere

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 98

Postby Circled Square » Jul 29, '16, 5:02 pm

Sister Abigail is cool.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby DBSoT » Jul 29, '16, 5:29 pm

The RKO is still #1, but a close 2nd is Nakamura's finisher. It's like a combination of Sweet Chin Music and Daniel Bryan's running knee. It looks pretty brutal. Also, let us not forget the F5.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Jul 29, '16, 9:43 pm

Sasha Banks' Banks Statement might be my own personal favorite right now.

The Helluva kick and Neville's finisher are also probably more enjoyable to me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 29, '16, 9:57 pm

Yes.

Nakamura's finisher is pretty brutal (thanks in part to how some of his opponents sell it); I especially love how the commentators react to it.

Muscle Buster is sick.

I won't disagree with anyone saying RKO is the best though. That finisher has been raised to legendary status and it says something when we can all probably make a list of our favorite RKOs.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Jul 30, '16, 5:33 am

Some good suggestions so far. The Kinshasa might be one of the closest to the RKO. It looks devastating and it can come almost out of nowhere. Sister Abigail looks great and fits with Bray's character really well, and he's getting quicker at hitting it.

Banks Statement is great too, I hadn't thought about that one. Sasha has shown that the move can be applied in a bunch of different dramatic ways. And it's basically a backstabber into a crossface, both of which were over finishers on their own and arguably work even better together.

Muscle Buster looks awesome, though it has the disadvantage of being hard to set up particularly with larger guys. There's only so many ways you can get into it.

I'm not as sold on the Helluva Kick. I love Sami Zayn, he's one of my favourite guys in the company. And the move does look good. But I'd prefer it as just a signature spot than a finishing move, because the set up is so specific that all of his wins need to end basically the same way.

Throwing another into the mix, the Pop-up Powerbomb is another favourite of mine. But it's still lagging behind the RKO.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 30, '16, 8:03 am

The RKO is probably still at the top of the list. I mean when an entire Summerslam match is basically being built on him hitting that move and slaying the beast with it, it should be.

I'll disagree with the Banks Statement, it's good enough, but Sasha has screwed up the backstabber leading into it a bunch of times, leading to some awkward transitions. Part of that is her opponents too I know.

I'm a fan of the Superman Punch, even though it's really a setup move for the spear, it's gotten over pretty big.

The Pop Up Powerbomb is climbing the list, it's a good move that can be reversed in a bunch of ways too which helps.

I miss the Curb Stomp, Rollins with the Pedigree has never quite lived up to it. Personally I think he needs a new finisher.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Jul 30, '16, 8:21 am

I hate the Superman punch, just like I hated the KO punch, just like I hated the worm, just like I hated the People's Elbow, simple strikes like that just don't live up to a finisher to me.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Jul 30, '16, 8:40 am

Str8Shooter wrote:I'm a fan of the Superman Punch, even though it's really a setup move for the spear, it's gotten over pretty big.

Speaking of, the Spear is still a pretty fuckin great move when it's used dynamically and not always after an OOAH! If the Superkick was protected it could be on a similar level of the RKO but everyone uses it and it rarely wins.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » Jul 30, '16, 9:22 am

The Superman punch is way overused in Reigns matches, particularly when there's a bunch of guys out there and it's not a one on one match. Sometimes it looks pretty phony if used at a weird time. But it does look great at certain times. In one of the Styles/Reigns matches, he countered the Phenomenal Forearm with the Superman Punch and it looked amazing.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby ChrisCrossed » Jul 30, '16, 10:05 am

In my humble opinion the RKO is the best finisher in WWE history, if not top 5.

That being said I can't believe nobody mentioned The Red Arrow.

ChrisCrossed Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 9

Postby Hanley! » Jul 30, '16, 11:47 am

John did mention it above actually. The Red Arrow does look awesome, but top rope finishers aren't as exciting to me as there are very limited ways to set the move up, and very limited ways for the opponent to counter.

Cruiserweight guys like Neville having a top rope finisher is cool, because it sets them apart. But if they're to become major stars, I think it helps a lot to have another finisher too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Jul 30, '16, 2:29 pm

Hanley! wrote: But it does look great at certain times. In one of the Styles/Reigns matches, he countered the Phenomenal Forearm with the Superman Punch and it looked amazing.

I agree that the punches look great when the opponent comes flying into them, but that's very limited.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jul 30, '16, 2:56 pm

Funny that the KO punch is mentioned. The KO had the potential to be the most out of nowhere move with legitimate threat coming from a guy like big show. But not using it to its full potential and shitty booking killed that move.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Jul 30, '16, 3:05 pm

I don't like a punch as a finishing move for a wrestler, because wrestlers punch in the middle of a match all the damn time. Which leaves you wondering why this particular punch can knock a wrestler out, but nobody else's can. Then there's the fact that it's too easy to hit with, so you're left wondering why it's not the first thing the guy tries in the match.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Jul 30, '16, 8:52 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:Funny that the KO punch is mentioned. The KO had the potential to be the most out of nowhere move with legitimate threat coming from a guy like big show. But not using it to its full potential and shitty booking killed that move.

No the fact that Big Show was so slow and unable to throw a semi-decent looking punch killed the move.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Westcoastvibes » Jul 30, '16, 9:13 pm

The Legend wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:Funny that the KO punch is mentioned. The KO had the potential to be the most out of nowhere move with legitimate threat coming from a guy like big show. But not using it to its full potential and shitty booking killed that move.

No the fact that Big Show was so slow and unable to throw a semi-decent looking punch killed the move.

Well that also

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Return to WWE