It is currently: May 03, '24, 9:54 pm

Reigns/Styles is the best main event story we have had in years

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Reigns/Styles is the best main event story we have had in years

Postby Messiah » May 03, '16, 2:00 pm

It's been a long time since I have enjoyed the WWE as much as I have the last month and change. The main event story is a big part of that; it's one of the best in years. I'm not sure they have ever done a face/face storyline better than the one they are doing now, although it it does have the involvement of heel characters and of course it is up for debate what Roman Reigns is. I'd just call him an exceptionally well done tweener.

Usually their stories over the years have been a basic good guy vs bad guy set-up, but this is different. Last night on Raw was the perfect example of what they are doing. Styles is cool with Anderson and Gallows, but still doesn't want to take any easy paths to success. He defends himself with the chair against the Usos but ends up eating a powerbomb through the table at the hands of Reigns because of it. It's a "heel" act by Reigns, but you can't fault him for doing it either because of how much he is about family. Meanwhile you wonder how much longer Styles can go without using the Bullet Club's help in winning the title or if the Bullet Club will say screw it and turn on Styles. There are so many possibilities. Hell at Payback, for as much as I thought I knew Reigns was going to win, there were a couple of instances in the match down the stretch where I thought Styles had it won (the forearm after BC's original involvement and the splash later on).

I'm super excited for their match at Extreme Rules.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Reigns/Styles is the best main event story we have had in years

Postby Hanley! » May 03, '16, 2:23 pm

It's very good. Sometimes I feel like the company aren't milking the idea for everything it's worth, which I brought up in a thread a couple of weeks ago on Reigns's lack of selling for the original Bullet Club attack. But at least the fundamentals are there. This story is full of interesting, realistic characters. There's a believability about all of it. And unlike most main event stories from the last several years, there's a certain amount of intrigue to it. We don't know where it's going yet, and there's a lot of potential for change there. Honestly, it feels a little more like an Attitude Era storyline than anything we've seen in a while.

One concern I have is that the feud is too good for right now though, if that makes sense. Payback showed that Styles can and should be a star with this company. He could be a great champion. But Reigns was only just coronated and I'm not sure they'll want him to drop the title this soon. Which could mean that he just beats Styles again at Extreme Rules and they move onto something else. And the next feud is unlikely to be as interesting, and a lot of potential would go to waste.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Balor is added to the story and we extend it through the summer, and that Styles gets the title at some point. This story is so far above most of what they've given us lately that it really deserves that. We'll see what they do though. I hope they don't rush on to the next thing and give up this potentially great story.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Circled Square » May 03, '16, 3:12 pm

I don't know what's so good about it. The ending of their match at Payback was a cluster fuck. I'll give it to Styles though for portraying a decent character but if this feud is one of the best in years yikes. Hope it goes all the way to summerslam though I could see dude cena lmao coming in at the last minute to challenge roman bellic to a bowling match.

I don't want balor to be shoved into this just because. If they add him to the feud, think long term. He is incredibly over on NXMeme but a succesful summer feud would put him over with the average viewer

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » May 03, '16, 3:13 pm

Sadly, I think Cena vs Reigns is being saved for Wrestlemania 33 main event.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Circled Square » May 03, '16, 3:14 pm

Hanley! wrote:Sadly, I think Cena vs Reigns is being saved for Wrestlemania 33 main event.

These wounds won't seem to heal
The pain is just too real

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » May 04, '16, 7:49 am

Yeah the ending of Raw this weeks was fantastic. This whole storyline has had the sort of complex booking that WWE rarely even attempts when telling stories. Everyone sans Anderson and Gallows is babyface, and yet they're all kind of playing heels in certain moments, but you can still understand their actions. And even Gallows and Anderson are just trying to help their buddy have success.

I still think this ends with Gallows and Anderson turning on AJ though. Where you go from there could be trouble though, Reigns is then back to feuding with whoever and getting booed, the Usos can't exactly get over as babyfaces after helping out Reigns this much.

The good thing about this storyline is it in my mind has cemented AJ as a guy who can be a legitimate main event guy. Hopefully even Vince can see that after his performances in the ring. And even AJ's mic work and acting has been pretty good to me throughout. He doesn't look out of place at all.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Return to WWE