It is currently: May 03, '24, 12:41 pm

Roman Reigns was amazing last night

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Roman Reigns was amazing last night

Postby Messiah » Apr 05, '16, 9:44 am

I've only watched highlights of Raw so I am not sure if he did anything beyond his involvement in the Styles/Zayn/Jericho/Owens segment, but what he did do in that segment was wonderful.

First off, the asshole-ish smirk to begin with. The, "I'm not a bad guy... I'm not a good guy... I'm THE guy", line was so good. Then the best part which I felt got overlooked in the mayhem was Reigns brushing Zayn off and basically telling him he wasn't good enough to be in the ring with him. His mannerisms at the end of the segment were good too.

I'm not sure if it continues. It will be interesting the approach they take to the Reigns/Styles storyline. Barring blatant ignorance, I can't imagine they would think Reigns will be cheered in this feud so maybe we will see more of this Reigns. I don't think he can be the face that they want him to be, but he's proven countless times how well he would be able to play the top bad guy role.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Roman Reigns was amazing last night

Postby Everlong » Apr 05, '16, 11:16 am

This is exactly what they need to do with Reigns if he's going to be successful at all. EMBRACE THE HATE. Stop trying to force him to be something he's not. Acknowledge the boos, and have them play up to him.

The way he performed last night showed such potential as a heel champion. They need to full on embrace it and he could actually be good in that role.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Apr 05, '16, 11:35 am

Everlong wrote:This is exactly what they need to do with Reigns if he's going to be successful at all. EMBRACE THE HATE. Stop trying to force him to be something he's not. Acknowledge the boos, and have them play up to him.

The way he performed last night showed such potential as a heel champion. They need to full on embrace it and he could actually be good in that role.
I have seen this idea somewhere before, but I can't quite put my fruity pebbles on it....hmmm. I won't believe that Reigns is going heel until it actually happens. I took the same approach to Cena after a while and I don't see a reason to think otherwise.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Apr 05, '16, 11:55 am

^Oh, I absolutely, 100 percent don't think it's goign to happen either. I'd be tremendously shocked if it did. It's just a frustrating taste of what could be.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Apr 05, '16, 12:51 pm

I can't be the only one who thought he was the same boring Reigns

He still has the dumb ass Cena smirk and delivery. Only good thing he did was treat Zayn like a ginger midget jobber

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Apr 05, '16, 3:02 pm

The best thing about Reigns as compared to Cena is that Cena's gimmick is the sickly sweet babyface, who tells poopy jokes and constantly plays up to the kids. Reigns - at least in theory - is a big Samoan badass. Technically he's in a much better spot to play a tweener role than Cena ever was. Cena was very clearly the face, it's just that a lot of the fans really didn't like him. Reigns could actually be more of a heel to those who don't like him while being a face to those who do. If they get the balance right and let him develop in that kind of position, it might actually work for him.

The really important thing though, is that they have to build another top babyface that's a pure babyface who everyone likes. That person can be a counterpoint to Reigns. Someone like AJ Styles or Sami Zayn could ultimately fill that role.

Messiah wrote:Then the best part which I felt got overlooked in the mayhem was Reigns brushing Zayn off and basically telling him he wasn't good enough to be in the ring with him.

God, I'd love to see a really slow burning title feud between those two with Zayn finally winning the title from a (by then) heel Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania. There's my crazy fantasy booking that will never happen sorted for the day.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby DBSoT » Apr 05, '16, 3:27 pm

The really important thing though, is that they have to build another top babyface that's a pure babyface who everyone likes. That person can be a counterpoint to Reigns. Someone like AJ Styles or Sami Zayn could ultimately fill that role.
This is exactly what needs to happen. It doesn't have to be Zayn or AJ, but they need to find a second top babyface that isn't Cena. The biggest frustration for fans is that they are forced to root for Reigns or they just don't get a dog in the Main Event fight. That is incredibly disheartening. Even when Austin was on top, they had the Rock as the polar opposite face. Having the option between the two allowed the eventual matches between them to be massive. It also allowed the WWE a chance to reach more of their fan base. This is the same situation with CM Punk and Cena or Daniel Bryan and Cena. When you had a situation where they had two top faces, the matches between them felt bigger. There is always this talk about who the top face should be, but the truth is that having one top face is the problem. There is nothing wrong with Reigns as a competitor, but there is clearly a disconnect between him and a good portion of the WWE fans. WWE doesn't have to pull him from the Main Event, they just have to give the people a second option as well.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 06, '16, 2:03 am

I thought he handled the segment well - and that's what they need to do, short and sweet and show off his badassery.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Daz » Apr 06, '16, 8:10 am

They gave him the minimal amount they could give him without leaving him off the show completely. Also, without completely over scripting him, he was able to be himself and it worked far better than being a complete white meat babyface.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Return to WWE