It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 6:38 am

Favourite Hell in a Cell match in WWE history?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Favourite Hell in a Cell match in WWE history?

Postby Tom » Oct 09, '13, 5:50 pm

Moving towards Hell in a Cell, I thought this may be an interesting topic to get going. What was your favourite Hell in a Cell match? I can't look past the first one; Shawn Michaels and Taker stole the show and pulled off an amazing performance. Michaels was the perfect heel at the time, and people enjoyed watching him get his ass kicked. It had some good spots also, and the debut of Kane made it even more eventful.

Taker vs Mankind comes second for me, and is a match that I feel gets under rated at times. Although it is virtually remembered for two spots, it was surreal to watch live and I still try and understand how Foley took that much punishment and managed to walk out of the building. It was a match that really delivered in terms of shock factor!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 23

Re: Favourite Hell in a Cell match in WWE history?

Postby Georgerv » Oct 09, '13, 5:53 pm

In terms of being memorable Taker vs Mankind for sure

However when I think back to the matches that I watched live, the 6 man Hell in a cell from Armageddon (2000?) was my favorite

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 42

Postby prophet » Oct 09, '13, 5:55 pm

HHH vs The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 28 with Shawn Michaels as Special Guest Referee.

A recent match that didn't really embody the typical hell in a cell matches I'd grown up with but there was such emotion and passion in this match - for me it's one of the greatest of all time. HBK was a flawless ref too.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Tom » Oct 09, '13, 6:01 pm

prophet wrote:HHH vs The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 28 with Shawn Michaels as Special Guest Referee.

A recent match that didn't really embody the typical hell in a cell matches I'd grown up with but there was such emotion and passion in this match - for me it's one of the greatest of all time. HBK was a flawless ref too.

Although I agree that the match itself was pretty awesome, and that everyone involved pulled off a great performance, the one problem I have with it is that I feel the stipulation wasn't used most effectively. It seemed as if there was no purpose for the cell. I feel it could have been a No DQ match and they still would have been able to pull off the same story. That maybe me being a little nit picky though because it was still a great match in my opinion!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author
Topics: 23

Postby prophet » Oct 09, '13, 6:11 pm

Tom wrote:
prophet wrote:HHH vs The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 28 with Shawn Michaels as Special Guest Referee.

Although I agree that the match itself was pretty awesome, and that everyone involved pulled off a great performance, the one problem I have with it is that I feel the stipulation wasn't used most effectively. It seemed as if there was no purpose for the cell. I feel it could have been a No DQ match and they still would have been able to pull off the same story. That maybe me being a little nit picky though because it was still a great match in my opinion!

I'd agree with that. Although I think the fact that the match was 'Hell in a Cell' added to the whole drama of it and perhaps served as an incentive when it comes to buyrates. I listed it as my favourite because technically it's still a HIAC but yeah they didn't really utilize the Cell like they would've done 10 years ago, for obvious reasons.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 09, '13, 7:46 pm

There's actually been quite a few really good Hell in a Cell's over the years. Which is weird because I don't think there's been that many really good normal cage matches over the years.

My Top 3:

1) HBK vs Taker - The first one set the bar really high as both guys really went all out. This one was before the Foley spot which was good because people didn't have the expectations of either guy getting onto the roof or some crazy spot.

2) 6 Man - Armageddon 2000 - This match was nonstop balls to the wall action. Probably the most exciting Hell in a Cell. Not to mention the star power involved. Seriously? Taker/Austin/Triple H/Angle/Rock in their primes all in the same match? That's insane.

3) Triple H vs Batista - I'll throw this one in over some more famous ones. I didn't expect this match to be nearly as good as it was. It was bloody and violent and the crowd was into it. Might be Batista's best match.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby JDD » Oct 09, '13, 7:48 pm

Tripple H vs Batista. Loved that match. Violent and really fun, plus i watched it live which puts it above classics like Taker/Mankind for me.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 09, '13, 7:49 pm

Armageddon for me. Rikishi gracefully gliding through the air...

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby The Legend » Oct 09, '13, 8:14 pm

HHH vs Cactus Jack was quite good. Brock vs Taker is another personal favorite of mine. Although my two favorites were HHH vs HBK and for the sheer chaos of it the Armageddon HIAC match.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Settee » Oct 09, '13, 9:19 pm

Out of the many I watched live, HHH vs Taker at mania was my favorite, but you can't deny that Undertaker vs Mankind was one of the most epic and brutal HIAC matches of all time.

Thanks for the Sig Tim!
Settee Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 49

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 09, '13, 9:47 pm

Damn I forgot about Brock vs Taker, I'd put that one right up there too ear the top. That was a brutal brawl, I remember Taker bloodying Heyman by pulling his tie through a hole in the cage, smashing his face into the mesh :lol

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Oct 10, '13, 1:06 pm

Triple H v Undertaker was a decent match (a hell of a lot better than their snoozefest the year before), but I agree that it just didn't work well as a Hell in a Cell match. The cage might as well not have been there. It was a missed opportunity.

Shawn Michaels v Undertaker was probably the best in terms of having great action and telling a story. But for me Undertaker v Mankind still wins for the spectacle of it. You could watch that 100 times and still be in awe of what was happening. Those bumps were incredible, the commentary is JR's best work and the 10 minute match after the two spots was pretty intense too. The whole thing made you feel like Mankind was just invincible, making it a creepy and fascinating match.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Headlesspete » Oct 10, '13, 6:58 pm

Mankind vs Undertaker will go down in my mind as not only the best Hell in a Cell match of all time, but the most memorable match of all time. Its the match i put on when a mate of mine shows interest in Wrestling and has never seen a match. Its one of the most brutal, awe inspiring matches that has ever took place.

Undertaker vs Triple H would go next, just based on the emotion i had watching it. I thought the match they had the previous year was great, but this topped it and showed just how much both guys still have left to give.

Its strange, but i almost wish the Hell in a Cell gimmick would get retired, as it feels its never going to be as good as it was, and always seems to disappoint now.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 61

Postby rawisjericho » Oct 10, '13, 8:08 pm

Of all the matches mentioned so far, I don't think any of them will ever be topped, especially because of the fact that with the exception of HHH/Taker they all took place during the non-PG era. I don't believe that you need blood to tell a good story, but for this type of match I make an exception along with the Elimination Chamber. I think it definitely adds to the sheer brutality and drama of the match. BTW, I'll have to go with Mankind/Taker KOTR 98 as my fave.

rawisjericho None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 7

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 10, '13, 10:12 pm

Taker vs Lesnar was the best I've seen. A really brutal match that also told a great story and made Undertaker look amazing, even in defeat. Hell, even Paul Heyman was bleeding like a stuck pig and yelling at "you're gonna die!" at Taker. The only thing missing from the match was a crazy Hell in a Cell spot, probably one of the reasons why it's not as memorable as the first couple ones.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Edge vs Undertaker yet, in my opinion that was right up there with HHH vs Taker as the best Hell in a Cell of recent years.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Racing Guy » Oct 11, '13, 3:58 am

Taker VS Mankind. A couple of times I was actually afraid for Foley's health. LOL

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby PremiumChaos » Oct 11, '13, 11:50 am

Edge vs. Undertaker. It had great leadup, was a great match, and had an excellent ending. Edge's promos before the match was the best in his career.

PremiumChaos None specified
Mark
Mark

Topics: 4

Postby Hanley! » Oct 11, '13, 1:30 pm

Edge v Undertaker was awesome too - as was their feud in general. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the ladders being used so heavily. I could see the purpose for it, given Edge's strengths in ladder matches, but the two gimmicks are a bit at odds. It was a cool match with a very nice build, but it wouldn't be my very favourite.

Plus I thought their match at Wrestlemania was the best they had (also the best match Undertaker has had at Wrestlemania ... come at me bro).

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Oct 11, '13, 1:35 pm

Hanley! wrote:Edge v Undertaker was awesome too - as was their feud in general. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the ladders being used so heavily. I could see the purpose for it, given Edge's strengths in ladder matches, but the two gimmicks are a bit at odds. It was a cool match with a very nice build, but it wouldn't be my very favourite.

Plus I thought their match at Wrestlemania was the best they had (also the best match Undertaker has had at Wrestlemania ... come at me bro).

What say we revive the debate league momentarily? HHH/Taker 3 was by far the best match Taker ever had at 'Mania!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 11, '13, 1:36 pm

prophet wrote:
Hanley! wrote:Edge v Undertaker was awesome too - as was their feud in general. Though I wasn't a huge fan of the ladders being used so heavily. I could see the purpose for it, given Edge's strengths in ladder matches, but the two gimmicks are a bit at odds. It was a cool match with a very nice build, but it wouldn't be my very favourite.

What say we revive the debate league momentarily? HHH/Taker 3 was by far the best match Taker ever had at 'Mania!

The first HBK/Taker was Taker's best Mania match, come on now :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Next

Return to WWE