It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 3:47 am

The Drifter

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

The Drifter

Postby Hanley! » Feb 28, '16, 5:16 pm

Is this the worst gimmick WWE has come up with in a while?

Part of me thinks that it could actually kinda work with a few tweaks. But at the moment, it's dying a death. It doesn't make much sense that this drifter character would be wrestling for a professional company under a fixed contract. The wild look he gets in his eyes looks great, but he spends so much time on putting that stuff into his matches, that the matches themselves lack any sort of pace or psychology.

Also his guitar is way too nice for a drifter. :P If they want to go all the way with this gimmick, he needs to have a guitar like this one:

That's a massive nitpick, but it's the kind of attention to detail I'd like to see more in their booking/characterisation.

Can you think of a recent gimmick worse than this one? NXT usually manages to get even the silly stuff over, but this is just not working right now.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: The Drifter

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 28, '16, 6:21 pm

I see this gimmick dying a quick death. I'm not sure what he's supposed to be? I don't think anyone else does either. He comes out with a guitar and sits on the ropes looking forlorn.

It feels like an old school mid 90's WWF gimmick that doesn't make much sense today, even in NXT where gimmicks are more viable.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Mar 31, '16, 4:15 pm

Isn't it a bit convenient that when NXT are on tour, this guy always seems to drift to wherever they're touring?

How about the fact that most of the time he seems happy drifting to Full Sail every week. At that point, he's not drifting, he's commuting. You might as well call him the Commuter.

Plus, he clearly has a job with WWE. So he must have money. He has almost nothing in common with a drifter at all then.

Weirdly though, none of this bothered me as much as him coming down to the ring this week with a Britney-esque wireless microphone headset. Clearly they don't understand this character at all. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Mar 31, '16, 4:33 pm

Hanley! wrote:Weirdly though, none of this bothered me as much as him coming down to the ring this week with a Britney-esque wireless microphone headset. Clearly they don't understand this character at all. :P

The heel commentator Graves was ripping him too. "It's no wonder he's homeless with singing like that" :lol

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Daz » Mar 31, '16, 6:00 pm

Hanley! wrote:Isn't it a bit convenient that when NXT are on tour, this guy always seems to drift to wherever they're touring?

How about the fact that most of the time he seems happy drifting to Full Sail every week. At that point, he's not drifting, he's commuting. You might as well call him the Commuter.

Plus, he clearly has a job with WWE. So he must have money. He has almost nothing in common with a drifter at all then.

Weirdly though, none of this bothered me as much as him coming down to the ring this week with a Britney-esque wireless microphone headset. Clearly they don't understand this character at all. :P

I actually liked what they did with him the segment, sans the microphone.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Return to WWE