It is currently: May 10, '24, 1:29 am

MAJOR WrestleMania match set (spoilers, obviously)

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

MAJOR WrestleMania match set (spoilers, obviously)

Postby Messiah » Feb 22, '16, 9:09 am

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/2 ... g-observer

In the main event, going the predictable route with Roman Reigns disappointed many who'd invested in Dean Ambrose's story. Earlier in the night, the decision to put Kane, Big Show & Ryback over the Wyatt Family confounded most of the WWE Universe who'd bellieved Bray Wyatt was being (re)built for a big match at WrestleMania.

According to Dave Meltzer on the latest Wrestling Observer Radio, those two booking moves are related.

As most viewers had guessed, the plan coming out of Royal Rumble was to build toward Wyatt vs. Brock Lesnar in North Texas. That story would have included the Family interfering in Fastlane's main event.

Meltzer says those plans were changed over the weekend, when WWE decided that Lesnar's Mania opponent will be Dean Ambrose.

I was confused as to why The Wyatt Family lost to Kane, Show, and Ryback largely because it was believed they would move into a feud with Lesnar. Wyatt's losing (again) was still an odd booking decision but this makes a lot more sense and quite frankly, is a lot more exciting. Ambrose did a lot of great work in the build to this feud from all that I saw and Ambrose is one of the few wrestlers the fans will get behind in a match against Lesnar. Should be a great David vs Goliath story in a way. Definitely going to be rooting for Ambrose.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: MAJOR WrestleMania match set (spoilers, obviously)

Postby DBSoT » Feb 22, '16, 10:21 am

This actually makes the booking last night look worse. Even if they weren't going to build Wyatt to face Lesnar, why would you have his group lose to fucking Big Show, Kane, and Ryback? Also Ambrose facing Lesnar is not a good idea. I am a fan of Ambrose, but does anyone even remotely believe he is going to win. It took Reigns, Ambrose, 2 announce tables, and a steel chair to beat Lesnar last night, and he wasn't even the one who got pinned!! The promos between Dean and Heyman will be fine, but that is all I can say for this feud. You can work a David vs Goliath match with guys smaller then Lesnar, but Ambrose isn't an underdog babyface character. The only way the match can work is if Ambrose pulls out every weapon he can find. Even then, I would put the chances of Lesnar losing two straight matches at 0.000000000000000001%.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 218

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 22, '16, 10:46 am

Well I guess we should give some credit to WWE for seeing how over Ambrose has been and realizing he is a better fit for Lesnar than Wyatt is given how cooled off the Wyatts have become.

Ambrose will look like a wimp next to Lesnar though. The only time he did any damage to Lesnar at Fastlane was with a steel chair. All his strikes he hit were brushed off and then Lesnar beat the hell out of him. I suppose it could make for a decent David vs Goliath story though.

I wonder what this means for Bray though? Is he relegated to Andre Battle Royale territory? Or will they find something else for him and the Wyatts? Taker again?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Feb 22, '16, 1:17 pm

Ugh. If I ever said bad things about Lesnar vs Wyatt, then I take them all back. This sounds much worse.

Ambrose and Lesnar's interactions in recent weeks have been horrible, and Ambrose has repeatedly gotten his ass kicked by Lesnar. He's not a credible threat to Lesnar. It already feels like the feud is done, and it wasn't any good so why would people want to see more of it? He'd probably have a worse match with Lesnar too. I don't see him as working the David vs Goliath match all that well.

Bray Wyatt would at least have a very physical match against Lesnar. It feels like there's an unresolved issue there. And Lesnar could toss around the other Wyatts as they interfere, which could make the match a lot of fun and a hell of a showcase for Lesnar (while the interference would still make it seem like the Wyatts have a chance to win). I dunno. I'm not crazy about Wyatt vs Lesnar from a drawing point of view, but it's no worse than Ambrose vs Lesnar. And from a match and feud perspective, I think it'd be better.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 22, '16, 9:42 pm

I'm really happy they're continuing the feud Ambrose and Lesnar have been having instead of going for the predictable as fuck Lesnar/Wyatt match. Ambrose is finally getting his due. This is great. I hope they have a Street Fight, that will allows Ambrose to even the odds.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Str8Shooter » Feb 22, '16, 10:10 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:I'm really happy they're continuing the feud Ambrose and Lesnar have been having instead of going for the predictable as fuck Lesnar/Wyatt match. Ambrose is finally getting his due. This is great. I hope they have a Street Fight, that will allows Ambrose to even the odds.

Ambrose challenged him to a Street Fight and he accepted, so it's on.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 22, '16, 10:19 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
KaiserGlider wrote:I'm really happy they're continuing the feud Ambrose and Lesnar have been having instead of going for the predictable as fuck Lesnar/Wyatt match. Ambrose is finally getting his due. This is great. I hope they have a Street Fight, that will allows Ambrose to even the odds.

Ambrose challenged him to a Street Fight and he accepted, so it's on.

Oh man. I'm pumped for this match.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Messiah » Feb 23, '16, 9:27 am

Hanley! wrote:He's not a credible threat to Lesnar.

Nobody is a credible threat to Lesnar in the manner in which he has been built. It sure as heck wouldn't be Bray Wyatt, who loses even more frequently than Ambrose.

Personally, I don't see the problem with this match. I think Ambrose is a great foil to Lesnar's character and with the street fight stipulation, this has the potential to be a really brutal match. Even if Ambrose doesn't win, and I hope he does because that would give him a huge boost, they could get him over even more in front of a huge audience by having him refusing to stay down after a Lesnar pummeling. This could do wonders for Ambrose and this is coming from someone who doesn't like him as much as others. I still don't, but I'm happy they are finally giving someone the fans all love an opportunity in a big singles match at WrestleMania. This rarely happens.

Given WWE's booking over the last several months, yea they weren't in the best position to make a great, ideal-looking match. But of the options they had, I'm glad they went with this one and there was already a story behind it.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby Viazon » Feb 23, '16, 1:55 pm

Even though I am not at all optimistic about Ambrose's chances in this match, I am still glad this is happening. I have no idea what was planned for him at Wrestlemania, but this is a huge match. I am glad he is getting a big singles match at Wrestlemania, And it doesn't get much bigger than Lesnar.

I know he won't win, but I am at least hoping he will at least look good in the match and get a decent about of offense in. And the fact that it's a street match to suits him to a t.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby prophet » Feb 23, '16, 3:15 pm

I like it. Ambrose will take a beating but refuse to stay down as he has been doing and will earn Brock's respect in defeat; it's a high profile match and a spot he thoroughly deserves on the card.

'Mania coming together nicely dare I say it.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Feb 23, '16, 5:24 pm

Messiah wrote:
Hanley! wrote:He's not a credible threat to Lesnar.

Nobody is a credible threat to Lesnar in the manner in which he has been built. It sure as heck wouldn't be Bray Wyatt, who loses even more frequently than Ambrose.

Wyatt has a posse though. That makes him a credible threat to anybody. He also hasn't been killed by Lesnar several weeks in a row. Ambrose seems like the last person in the world that could beat Lesnar. And after a while Ambrose no selling the beatings is going to get old.

The feud didn't get off to a bad start on Raw though, and it is nice to see new stars getting singles matches at Wrestlemania, so there is a plus side to all of this. I'm just not really sold on it yet. Then again this whole card is still really not clicking yet, and they don't have a lot of options. So they might as well throw everything out there and see what works.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 23, '16, 10:28 pm

Hanley! wrote:Wyatt has a posse though.

A posse that Lesnar easily dismantled in the Royal Rumble match. A posse that, for some bizarre reason, hasn't been booked anywhere near as strong as it should have been, seen recently at Fastlane and going all the way back to Survivor Series when they all got wrecked by Undertaker and Kane on multiple occasions. Wyatt is a joke. He's the flavor of the month heel who only gets a serious push when they want him to put over somebody. People have realized that by now and it must have hurt Bray's chances of being seen as a credible threat to anybody he faces. That's not the kind of person you pit against Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania, unless you want nothing more than a "Lesnar showcase" match, but we've had so many of those at house shows and WWE Network specials already. Brock deserves better and so does the Wyatt Family.

I wasn't interested in Wyatts vs Lesnar because I can picture exactly how it's gonna play out: Several weeks of "mind-games" which Lesnar no-sells and some group beatdowns by the Wyatt Family. The 'Mania match starts with Lesnar hitting 10 suplexes on Bray until Bray does something to get the advantage and beats down Lesnar a bit. Lesnar starts a comeback, the family interferes, Lesnar demolishes all of them and then pins Bray. Brock gets a fat paycheck, Bray goes nowhere, and ultimately nothing is achieved. Brock and Ambrose's interactions up till this point have been more entertaining that anything a Wyatt/Lesnar feud would have done.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Return to WWE