It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 11:02 am

Can you do what Vince McMahon and the WWE could not?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Can you do what Vince McMahon and the WWE could not?

Postby Hanley! » Dec 12, '15, 11:50 am

WWE TLC, the final pay per view of 2015, is on tomorrow night.

I don't care even a little. Not about one solitary thing advertised for the show. And I don't think anyone else does either. On this forum, or in the entire world. I think it might be literally impossible to give a shit about anything on this upcoming show.

I'm not even exaggerating. This forum is completely dead. Ratings are at an all time low. I truly believe that if we were not in the era of the WWE Network, that this show would do the worst pay per view buyrate that they've ever done. Worse than December to Dismember. Really.

So I'm issuing an open challenge: If anyone can post in this thread giving a compelling reason to actually get excited about one single thing on this show, I will provide them with max rep.

To sweeten the deal, you don't even have to convince me. You just have to convince any single person on this forum that there's at least one match or angle on this show worth getting excited about.

Can anyone here sell the TLC to one single person? Because I'm pretty sure Vince and the WWE haven't managed it yet.

Go.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Can you do what Vince McMahon and the WWE could not?

Postby The Legend » Dec 12, '15, 12:30 pm

Here's a list of the reasons that I am excited for TLC as I look down the list of matches:

Tag Title Triple Threat Ladder Match: I think this match has the legitimate chance to rival any tag title ladder match we've seen. Between the Uso's, New Day and the Lucha Dragons I think this match is epic. Anyone that watches this match and winds up disappointed may not have a pulse.

Roman Reigns vs Sheamus: I feel like Roman Reigns while not the most talented guy we've ever seen has gotten a raw deal from the crowd and a lot of people. I feel like he gets crapped on to be crapped on and because of that the crowd's and IWC's attitude towards him has actually worked the opposite way for me. They've turned him into an underdog and I love underdogs and I'll enjoy when he actually has a championship reign and that could start tomorrow night.

Owens vs Ambrose: I enjoy both of these guys and think their styles will mix well into this match and their indy experience could make this a hidden gem match.

Swagger vs Del Rio: There's no selling this match.

Team Extreme vs Wyatt Family: This should be a fun old school tables match that will be enjoyable and entertaining to watch.

Charlotte vs Paige: I'm intrigued with where they are going with the PCB break up and where this is all headed, if Charlotte is turning heel or not. But I'm not going to try and convince anyone on this match too hard, either you buy it or you don't.

Ryback vs Rusev: They've done some simple old school storytelling in this feud and it's not earth-shattering, but seeing two power houses like these two can be fun.

Ultimately, do I think anything earth-shattering will happen tomorrow night? No. Do I think anything will shock or totally surprise anyone tomorrow night? No. Do I think with the matches on the card that the WWE can give me three hours of solidly entertaining wrestling matches with some of my favorite stipulations to watch? Absolutely. If that's not enough to sell you on the PPV, then fine, but it's enough for me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Dec 12, '15, 12:46 pm

Not being actively terrible isn't the same as being good though, John. You've defended the card, but haven't given me much of a reason to get excited by it. The one thing that might excite me that you mentioned is the prospect of the ladder match being one of the great tag team ladder matches. If I truly believed that it would go down like that then I really would want to see the show. But unfortunately, I don't have that level of confidence in those teams. Particularly given the lack of a compelling angle going into the show.

Other than that there are a couple of matches that might be good. But we regularly get good matches on Raw. To me none of them look like being great to a standard that's above a Raw main event, and more importantly there's no real reason to care about any of the matches because the stakes seem low and it's hard to feel anything for any of the characters right now.

The Legend wrote:Roman Reigns vs Sheamus: I feel like Roman Reigns while not the most talented guy we've ever seen has gotten a raw deal from the crowd and a lot of people. I feel like he gets crapped on to be crapped on and because of that the crowd's and IWC's attitude towards him has actually worked the opposite way for me. They've turned him into an underdog and I love underdogs and I'll enjoy when he actually has a championship reign and that could start tomorrow night.

Again I'd argue that Reigns not being actively terrible is not the same at all as him being good. I've actually been rooting for the guy to succeed since day one. I wanted him to main event Wrestlemania last year instead of Bryan. That being said, the company has booked him terribly and failed in making him a compelling babyface every single step of the way, and I can't blame the fans for any of that. It's not their job to just like what they're told to. Reigns has been handled terribly, so why should he be treated as a top guy?

I also love a good underdog, but Reigns is an even worse underdog character than Cena was. Daniel Bryan was a good underdog. Bayley is a fantastic underdog. Sami Zayn is a freaking amazing underdog. Roman Reigns though? He's a massive, handsome dude, who's related to one of WWE's biggest ever stars, who debuted as part of a main event faction, who is nakedly the next hand-picked, force-fed face of the entire company. That makes him a terrible, terrible underdog. Which is weirdly what they keep presenting him as, rather than as an ass-kicking babyface like Goldberg or even someone like Stone Cold.

So I'm not quite sold, but true to my word if you've convinced anyone else that this is worth seeing, you will get max rep. Though I'm going to give you some now anyway for an admirable attempt. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 12, '15, 1:15 pm

Yeah the only real thing that I can try and sell people on is the fact that the matches might be pretty good and you'll end up getting three hours of decent to really good matches. That seems to be the trend with most of the PPV's though is that's the only thing to look forward too.

The match that I'm most excited about like you guys mentioned, is the triple threat tag title ladder match. In theory this match, given those involved, should be a high octane, wild bump filled match with some creative spots. Unfortunately, it seems the ladder matches of late have been slower paced and less reliant on big bumps, meaning the only real interesting thing about this match might be removed before it starts.

Add in the fact that there is a Sheamus/Reigns match with a Ladder later on and it wouldn't surprise me if they are told not to go too crazy to not outshine the TLC match later.

It's sad that one of the most anticipated part of WWE shows lately is just to see how bad they end up being.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby DBSoT » Dec 12, '15, 2:46 pm

The part that completely confuses me about this PPV is that the two people that should have a gimmick match (Ambrose and Owens) don't. Extreme matches play right into the lunatic fringe character and Owens has a history in the indys and NXT of competing in good to great ladder matches. I get having the tables match with the Dudley's and get paying homage to attitude era tag teams with a triple threat ladder match, but why would Del Rio/Swagger have a chairs match?

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Hanley! » Dec 12, '15, 3:01 pm

DBSoT wrote:The part that completely confuses me about this PPV is that the two people that should have a gimmick match (Ambrose and Owens) don't. Extreme matches play right into the lunatic fringe character and Owens has a history in the indys and NXT of competing in good to great ladder matches. I get having the tables match with the Dudley's and get paying homage to attitude era tag teams with a triple threat ladder match, but why would Del Rio/Swagger have a chairs match?

I noticed that too. I think someone identified that this was maybe the one match that fans were maybe interested in and therefore it didn't need a gimmick as bad as the others. Which makes a kind of sense, but it's still a missed opportunity to me. This is the match I was most likely to get excited about, if given any incentive to do so. But they didn't bother giving me any simply because it'll be received well enough anyway, if the other matches are good.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 12, '15, 3:54 pm

None of the matches need gimmicks attached because the fans don't care about any of these matches to that degree. In fact WWE is lazily using the gimmicks as a reason for people to tune in, maybe that's why they put even less effort into hyping this PPV than usual.

I like Ambrose and Owens but that match is boring to me, Owens wasn't on Raw at all one week when he was ill, and last week Ambrose came out and dumped popcorn on Owens head and threw a drink in his face. Unless they're fighting in a movie theater, why should I care?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Dec 12, '15, 4:00 pm

Brett gets rep for being on my side for once. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby SortaCreative » Dec 12, '15, 5:25 pm

There's a small to medium chance Vince might quit live on air. And then get blown up in his limo (maybe even for real).

Serious reason to be excited by this card? It'll get your hopes well and truly low enough for Takeover to be the equivalent of seventeen orgasms. At once. With 9 women. Eating pizza. Naked.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » Dec 12, '15, 7:31 pm

Well, I think naked was implied.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Dec 13, '15, 1:17 pm

Man I can't even find a reason to flip on a free stream.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 13, '15, 8:16 pm

The only reason I'm watching is because I'm paying 10 bucks for the Network and I feel like I have to get the most out of it.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to WWE