It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 10:40 am

Will WWE purposefully create a new main eventer ever again?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Will WWE purposefully create a new main eventer ever again?

Postby Hanley! » Oct 17, '15, 7:21 am

On NXT, the bookers seem to have no problem getting people over. The guys who they want to be stars invariably are treated as stars. If they want someone to get over huge, they almost always get over huge. They make it look so simple. So why is it so impossible on the main roster? Why does it seem like nobody knows what they're doing?

Roman Reigns has been such a failure. I'm not even going to complain about the fact that they want him to be the face of the company when he's not ready for that spot. That's not what this thread is about. What baffles me is that they clearly want to get him over huge, and they've been doing every single thing wrong.

His promos haven't been all that bad lately, provided they've been short and to the point. That's what works for him. Yet this week, he came out and cut a long, meandering promo/history lesson about his wacky feud with Bray Wyatt. A loooooooong promo. In front of the crowd. In front of the Chicago crowd. They put him out there for 10 minutes to recite boring nonsense and didn't expect a Chicago crowd to shit all over him.

To follow up that brilliant television, Reigns then had a match. Against Braun Strowman. For 10 minutes. The guy they're trying hard to get over as the main face of the company had to wrestle a television match against literally the worst wrestler in the company. In a pretty long television match. And he only won by count out.

It's just ... wow.

They were trying to bury Rusev this week, but they did a much better job of burying Reigns: the guy they want to get over more than anyone.

It's been so long since they tried to create a star on Raw, that they've forgotten how.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Will WWE purposefully create a new main eventer ever again?

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 17, '15, 8:06 am

I think you could make an argument that Seth Rollins they created into a main eventer. They had him split from the Shield, join the authority, and climb up the ranks until becoming World Champion. Now since he's become the champ he's been treated like a complete buffoon for the most part, but they did get him there.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 17, '15, 8:41 am

It's almost as if Vince is like:

"Oh yeah? You think Reigns sucks?? Check out Braun Strowman !!!!"

To answer your question, it's really hard to have faith these days. Finn Balor could potentially become a huge star, but I said the same about guys like Cesaro and Ambrose. I haven't watched a full Raw since probably early August, perhaps even July.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Oct 17, '15, 9:03 am

VaderBomb wrote:It's almost as if Vince is like:

"Oh yeah? You think Reigns sucks?? Check out Braun Strowman !!!!"

To answer your question, it's really hard to have faith these days. Finn Balor could potentially become a huge star, but I said the same about guys like Cesaro and Ambrose. I haven't watched a full Raw since probably early August, perhaps even July.

Oh they have a bunch of guys who could be stars right now. Talent is not the issue. It's that they don't know how to use anyone or how to make a star these days. They still have a few guys with the potential to be big names. And a few other guys who could have been big stars if WWE hadn't squandered their potential over and over again. I would have even considered Reigns among that group, but there's no way he becomes the guy they want him to now.

Str8Shooter wrote:I think you could make an argument that Seth Rollins they created into a main eventer. They had him split from the Shield, join the authority, and climb up the ranks until becoming World Champion. Now since he's become the champ he's been treated like a complete buffoon for the most part, but they did get him there.

Yeah, Rollins is the closest thing to a star they've made recently, but it's almost been by accident. Just like with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan - they were never really endorsed by the company, but managed to get over with the fans through no fault of the company's.

All last year Rollins was a weak heel, and seemed to be there almost to be one of the guys to put Reigns over on his way to the top. Then he won the belt at Wrestlemania just as a consequence of the company messing up Reigns and the fans turning on him in the build up to Wrestlemania. He's been treated horribly as champion, and he looks more midcard than almost any WWE champion before him. But he's still probably been the biggest benefactor of Reigns' botched push. It's created a spot for him that probably wouldn't have existed otherwise.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Messiah » Oct 17, '15, 9:11 am

I haven't been watching Raw and didn't catch the last PPV, so I have never seen him wrestle. Is Braun Strowman really that bad?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Hanley! » Oct 17, '15, 9:16 am

Messiah wrote:I haven't been watching Raw and didn't catch the last PPV, so I have never seen him wrestle. Is Braun Strowman really that bad?

Yes. He's huge so he's not the most mobile guy, but he's also bad at portraying himself as a monster. He doesn't look scary or intimidating despite his size. But a lot of his problem is probably just that he's extremely green. He had barely wrestled before debuting on the main roster. When you consider how many world class wrestlers they have working on NXT for months on end, it's a bit ludicrous that they thought this guy was ready to debut on Raw without a stint on NXT television.

NXT is supposed to be the developmental show, at least to some extent, but somehow they have higher standards for their talent than Raw does.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Oct 17, '15, 9:19 am

I wouldn't say he is THAT bad. He is very green for sure. But that's what happens when you throw in a guy who has barely any experience. I think there have definitely been much worse wrestlers to work in the WWE before.

This guy obviously isn't going to be any success as a singles wrestler. But they needed a huge guy to back up Bray Wyatt and that's what he is.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Str8Shooter » Oct 17, '15, 10:32 am

Hanley! wrote:
Messiah wrote:I haven't been watching Raw and didn't catch the last PPV, so I have never seen him wrestle. Is Braun Strowman really that bad?

Yes. He's huge so he's not the most mobile guy, but he's also bad at portraying himself as a monster. He doesn't look scary or intimidating despite his size.

You don't think he looks scary or intimidating!? :o You're a braver man than me my friend. I think his look is the best part about him, he's massive with a nasty beard, which is essentially what they wanted I think.

I mean he's not great in the ring but I feel they've protected him well enough. The guy should be an attraction, he shouldn't be in many singles matches at all. Just in tags or six mans where he can stand on the apron and come in and throw people.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Oct 17, '15, 10:57 am

Str8Shooter wrote:You don't think he looks scary or intimidating!? :o You're a braver man than me my friend. I think his look is the best part about him, he's massive with a nasty beard, which is essentially what they wanted I think.

Well yeah, he's massive with a nasty beard. Which is basically why they're using him. But there's nothing in his performance that adds to that. His facial expressions and body language don't help to sell him as a huge scary monster. He's just not able to put a character across in the ring yet. Maybe he'll get there, but he's nowhere near ready yet. And across the ring from the guy who they want to be the next big WWE star is not the place to teach him this stuff.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 17, '15, 3:05 pm

Surely this promo wasn't as bad the Roman Reigns wink: Image

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to WWE