It is currently: May 12, '24, 7:27 pm

Sting suffers serious neck injury?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Sting suffers serious neck injury?

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 21, '15, 8:30 am

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/More_on_Sting_s_WWE_Night_of_Champions_Injury.html

As noted, Sting suffered what was believed to be a significant injury during the main event of last night's WWE Night of Champions pay-per-view. Apparently the injury came when he took the buckle bomb from WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins.

Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio provided an update and speculated that the neck injury could be a career injury. It was noted that Sting hurt his neck and that it's a pretty significant injury. Meltzer said, "It was serious and to his neck."

I thought the stoppage was weird. Sting took the buckle bomb and then he and Seth looked like they had a communication mixup right after. Then Sting fell down during the Irish whip.

Sucks if this is the end for Sting. But if it is, he did it with what I thought was a pretty damn good performance in there with Seth.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: Sting suffers serious neck injury?

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 21, '15, 1:28 pm

He's got one more fight left in the tank.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 472

Postby Circled Square » Sep 21, '15, 1:40 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:He's got one more fight left in the tank.

He's not even in Undertaker's fucking league to the casual viewer.

Sting can't beat a rusty Triple H, he can't beat a dead Seth Rollins, how is he going to go against a guy who can hold his own against the toughest opponent in the company?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 21, '15, 2:20 pm

Circled Square wrote:He's not even in Undertaker's fucking league to the casual viewer.

Sting can't beat a rusty Triple H, he can't beat a dead Seth Rollins, how is he going to go against a guy who can hold his own against the toughest opponent in the company?

Triple H won by using a sledgehammer and all of DX. Triple H is also in better shape than Sting. Rustiness isn't a factor because Sting had also been away from the ring for a long time, and his last matches in TNA before that were not as grueling as Triple H's matches in 2014 against Daniel Bryan and The Shield.

Sting was a lot more dead than Rollins at the end of their match. Rollins injured Sting, rendering him barely able to compete. Also Rollins is in way better shape than Sting.

It doesn't really matter who thinks Sting is not in the same power level as Taker right now. Everyone knows Taker is going to win anyway, and he should. That's not what this is about, it's about booking a dream match between two guys that people want to see go at it. And it's not like they can't book Sting to be on the same level as Taker during the feud and the match.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Sep 21, '15, 2:26 pm

Wins and losses matter. It doesn't matter that Sting lost due to a sledgehammer against Triple H, or that he was injured in the Rollins match. He looked like a bit of a chump after both matches, he has a WWE pay per view record of 0-2. Which stacks up rather poorly against Undertaker's Wrestlemania record of 22-1.

Sting has not been effectively sold as a huge star in WWE. He doesn't look anywhere near Undertaker's league. Sting vs Undertaker is a dream match for some, but not for all the people who weren't watching wrestling back in the 90s. From their perspective, Sting and Undertaker aren't even necessarily a natural pairing, as Sting really isn't playing the creepy, cerebral character in WWE at the moment. And even fans who wanted to see this match for years will become less enthusiastic about it after watching successive losses for Sting.

They could run with the match, but it wouldn't seem like much of a spectacle at this point, it'd be more like Undertaker vs Wyatt last year. It's not a match that's going to sell all that many tickets at this point. And the fact that a loss for Sting (which is inevitable) would put him at 0-3 is just sad. All it'd do is hurt his legacy.

Have Undertaker face someone else, and maybe induct Sting into the Hall of Fame. That's the best way to get something from him at this point. They've done the worst job possible of preparing him as an opponent for the Undertaker.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Sep 21, '15, 3:08 pm

This is disappointing for Sting. Also, I heard that he got hurt on that table spot originally and the powerbomb just made things worse.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Sep 21, '15, 3:17 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why they removed the monitors on the table that nobody went through, but not on the table that Sting did go through. I would guess that someone just screwed up, but the set up to this spot was gradual. It started during the Rollins/Cena match. If it was a screw up, it was a screw up by both Rollins and Sting, and to an extent, Cena, the referee, and the commentators. I don't get it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 21, '15, 5:13 pm

Hanley! wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why they removed the monitors on the table that nobody went through, but not on the table that Sting did go through. I would guess that someone just screwed up, but the set up to this spot was gradual. It started during the Rollins/Cena match. If it was a screw up, it was a screw up by both Rollins and Sting, and to an extent, Cena, the referee, and the commentators. I don't get it.

It was careless but I'm not sure that's where he hurt himself, even though it looked like hell. After the second buckle bomb Sting's legs almost gave out, you could see him spaghetti legged before falling down. Although I suppose he could have initially hurt it on the table.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 21, '15, 5:55 pm

Hanley! wrote:Wins and losses matter. It doesn't matter that Sting lost due to a sledgehammer against Triple H, or that he was injured in the Rollins match. He looked like a bit of a chump after both matches, he has a WWE pay per view record of 0-2. Which stacks up rather poorly against Undertaker's Wrestlemania record of 22-1.

Sting has not been effectively sold as a huge star in WWE. He doesn't look anywhere near Undertaker's league. Sting vs Undertaker is a dream match for some, but not for all the people who weren't watching wrestling back in the 90s. From their perspective, Sting and Undertaker aren't even necessarily a natural pairing, as Sting really isn't playing the creepy, cerebral character in WWE at the moment. And even fans who wanted to see this match for years will become less enthusiastic about it after watching successive losses for Sting.

They could run with the match, but it wouldn't seem like much of a spectacle at this point, it'd be more like Undertaker vs Wyatt last year. It's not a match that's going to sell all that many tickets at this point. And the fact that a loss for Sting (which is inevitable) would put him at 0-3 is just sad. All it'd do is hurt his legacy.

Have Undertaker face someone else, and maybe induct Sting into the Hall of Fame. That's the best way to get something from him at this point. They've done the worst job possible of preparing him as an opponent for the Undertaker.

Just inducting Sting into the Hall of Fame without doing Sting/Taker or any retirement match would absolutely shit on Sting and his legacy more than anything else that could happen. Do you really think that's the best way to use him? I don't think Sting's WWE run so far has gone well, but the least they could do is deliver on the dream match that a lot of people want to see. And it would be a huge spectacle match, nothing you said has convinced me it wouldn't be. It's easy big money, no reason WWE shouldn't run with it. There's no other match for Sting that would be anywhere near as big. And it's the biggest match for the Undertaker that we have never seen before.

Taker/Sting is a dream match for more than just the people who were watching both companies in 1997. I started watching wrestling in 2003 and didn't see any of Sting until 2009 when I started watching TNA. Hell, to me Sting is a TNA guy more than a WCW guy because that's where I saw him every week. Yet I did want to see Undertaker vs Sting because I noticed the similarities between the two characters. They've both had long, successful careers and a reputation for being loyal to their respective companies - Sting to WCW and Undertaker to WWE. Sting often wears a trenchcoat that looks a lot like Undertaker's. Sometimes the lights go out and Sting appears inside the ring... just like Undertaker.

We've seen this in Sting's WWE run too. He wore a trenchcoat when he made his debut at Survivor Series. He did the lights-out trick when he helped Randy Orton against The Authority. He even did the creepy video package thing during his feud with Triple H. His WWE entrance music is creepy. There's definitely similarities between Sting and Undertaker that make them a natural pairing. Even though Sting isn't playing a creeper at the moment, there are those dark elements of his character that can be brought out and used at any time. They could easily give him a slight repackaging and make him darker when he feuds with Taker. I listed some ideas for that in this thread.

I definitely agree that Sting's drawing power has been hurt - to an extent. But you're blowing it out of proportion. I've seen you do this before, when you said Brock Lesnar wasn't a big star before he broke The Streak. Sting is still a special attraction. His matches have been against Triple H at Wrestlemania and against the World Champion in a PPV main event. Both times he put in good performances against very legitimate wrestlers and has managed to stay over with the crowd. It's not like he's been losing to Miz.

You make out Sting's win/loss record in WWE (which is actually 2-2) to be hugely important, like his matches in WWE are the only matches he's ever had. Sting is constantly hyped up by commentary as one of the biggest stars in WCW's history and a multiple-time WCW and NWA World Champion who main evented numerous Starrcades. And that's taking into account the fact that they don't mention Sting's recent run in TNA, where he also held several world championships and won in the main event of Bound For Glory 3 times in a row. Even if a lot of current WWE fans aren't aware of Sting's TNA history, they still know he was huge in WCW and can watch his stuff on the Network. Point is, you can't list Taker's Streak going back 20+ years but not mention Sting's accomplishments before 2014.

Plus, Taker is not what he once was. He's been presented as a desperate old gunslinger at the end of his rope. Sure, he held his own against Lesnar for a while... but then he tapped out, and always needs a low blow to keep Lesnar down. Before that, he barely beat Bray Wyatt, and before that he had one of the worst performances of his career at WM 30. Sting actually looks like he's in better shape than Taker, or at worst, the same shape. There's no reason to believe Sting and Taker wouldn't have a competitive back-and-forth match until Taker eventually wins. "Not anywhere near Undertaker's league" is a stretch.

Ideally, I'd give Sting a big win some time before now and Wrestlemania so he can get some momentum before going up against Taker. But even if he doesn't wrestle before then, I still think the feud and match can work based on where both characters stand at the moment.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Sep 22, '15, 12:20 pm

Here's where I think our opinions are diverging: there's a difference between being a big star and being a draw. Wrestling has a very established audience, and while some wrestlers are seen as bigger stars than others among the established audience (and particularly the hardcore audience), that doesn't necessarily mean that they're putting any extra butts in seats, or that they're bringing any extra eyes to the product.

That was my exact point during the Lesnar discussion you're referring to. Lesnar's matches against Triple H and Punk didn't do good business. He wasn't scoring high ratings and the buy rates of his pay per views were down from the year before. The hardcore wrestling fans saw him as a star, but he wasn't really a bona fide draw until he beat Undertaker and Cena and was presented as an unstoppable beast.

The amount of the audience that sees Sting as a genuine star is even smaller, because frankly a lot of people have never seen him win a big match. A lot of WWE's established audience has never watched TNA, and almost none of their casual audience will have. Anyone in their early 20s or younger probably never saw him wrestle in WCW. So Sting is a big star to those who almost certainly have Network subscriptions already, and very few other people.

They had a real opportunity to make Sting come across as a real legend from a golden age of wrestling. To do that he needed to not look like a chump during his only big matches. He shook Triple H's hand at Wrestlemania after swearing to rid the company of him. And also after Triple H tried to murder him with a sledgehammer. That's not a strong position to put your babyface in. Then he lost to Rollins who had both wrestled and lost another match right before hand AND been killed with a finisher on the floor outside. They did almost nothing to protect Sting in defeat at NOC, and even if they had his pay per view record would still read 0-2.

And yeah, I don't think he looks like he's in Undertaker's league. You can't really compare Sting and Undertaker's histories in the biased world of WWE. They have had similar careers, but Undertaker's legacy has been parroted at the WWE audience constantly for the last decade. Whereas Sting has spent very little time in front of the WWE crowd, spend the last decade working for a company WWE has never acknowledged, and the rest of his career working for a company that WWE never fails to paint in a negative light. To those who aren't intimately familiar with Sting's career, he's not at all similar to Undertaker. And those are the people that WWE should have been trying to sell on him in recent months.

Undertaker vs Sting is still a dream match for some, but I don't think it really helps to move the needle for one of the most important Wrestlemanis of all time. If this is to be Undertaker's retirement match, and if it's to be one of the major selling points of the show, I'm not sure that they'll think Sting can fill that role. At this point, I'd argue that Undertaker vs (for example) John Cena would be a bigger match.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby lyonssv » Sep 24, '15, 12:04 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sting-reveal ... 21982.html

Just a little update on this, apparently Sting did in fact suffer a serious injury. He stated he had tingling and numbness in all of his extremities and at one point physically could not walk (why he was down on all fours). He stated its a "wait and see" as far as his career, but he was informed by a doctor that he's lucky to have walked out of the ring and that it's something he'll have to get dealt with.

Sounds like we may have seen the last of the Stinger.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 13

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 24, '15, 12:17 am

@Hanley!

I can see your point about a star not necessarily = a draw and I'm glad you made it. We agree that Lesnar breaking The Streak has increased his drawing power and Sting's booking has decreased his. But my opinion is that their drawing power has not been affected to the extent you claim it has. That's where we disagree and that's where I feel like you're overreacting.

The facts you mentioned to back up your Lesnar argument do not necessarily prove your point. Out of curiosity, I did some digging around of my own: Summerslam 2012 did 358,000 buys compared to 296,000 in 2011. Extreme Rules 2012 also did better than the previous year. Extreme Rules 2013 didn't do as well as the previous year's, yes, but it still did better than every PPV in the preceding 12 months except Summerslam, Royal Rumble, and Wrestlemania. True, Summerslam 2013 didn't draw as much as the previous year did but I'm not sure how you could spin that as being Lesnar's fault. It was a much better card due to Bryan/Cena main eventing and Lesnar/Punk, with Lesnar/Punk being Lesnar's best feud and most anticipated match up to that point. There must have been other reasons as to why it didn't outdraw the 2012 show.

Lesnar was a big ratings draw before breaking The Streak, at least according to these sites. Anyhow, there's not much solid evidence to support your claim that Lesnar became a draw only after beating Undertaker/Cena, and was not one prior to that.

Now back to the Sting discussion. I disagree that he hasn't been presented as a big star to the casual WWE viewer. Upon his debut, he was immediately inserted into the biggest storyline in the company against one of, if not the company's biggest heel in Triple H. This also had the effect of instantly elevating Sting to super babyface status by opposing The Authority when nobody else could, and securing victory for the good guys Survivor Series team. Sting proceeded to get the upper hand on Triple H throughout their entire feud leading up to Wrestlemania, and then matched Triple H blow-for-blow in their match, getting the upper hand before DX interfered. He kicked out of both a Pedigree and Sweet Chin Music, and was about to win the match before getting blindsided with a sledgehammer.

What I had a problem with was everything that happened after the match - the handshake and Sting's promo on Raw the next night. But it didn't make Sting look weak as a competitor. It didn't change the fact that he was about to beat Triple H, someone who has always been presented as being super strong. Someone who almost broke The Streak. I read a lot of posts on the internet from people who thought Sting would be some slow, plodding old guy who couldn't move very fast in the ring, but his physical condition and performance in the HHH match impressed them a lot.

Sting's next appearance was attacking the WWE Champion in the closing segment of Raw and then being made the #1 contender for the world championship at Night of Champions. Despite the head-scratching booking involved there, the fact is that Sting was once again elevated to an extremely prominent position on the roster and the marketing for Night of Champions was focused on him. He also made Seth Rollins tap out in a match on Raw and was able to take down Big Show before their match ended in a DQ.

Sting dominated Rollins at Night of Champions until Rollins found himself in a lucky position and shoved Sting back through the announce table. At that point they were evenly matched, but Sting was still able to hold his own. Then Sting suffered a very serious injury which almost knocked him out of the match. Even after that, he returned to the fight and applied the Scorpion Deathlock twice before Rollins rolled him up. I don't really see how this match made Sting look weak either, and keep in mind that the actual finish probably wasn't the planned finish. I bet the planned finish had Rollins cheating to retain the belt. Also, once again I saw a lot of posts praising Sting's performance, people who expected the match to be worse/shorter than it ended up being.

Despite the problems with his character booking and his 2-2 record, casual fans see Sting as someone who can hang with top-level wrestlers like Triple H and the WWE Champion. That's impressive for a 56 year old man who many people saw as some broken down has-been prior to Wrestlemania 31. When you add the fact that commentators always refer to Sting as a 6-time WCW Champion, "one of the greatest of all time", and the most popular wrestler at the time when WCW was kicking WWE's ass, I still don't see how he has not been presented as a big star... or as someone who can't hold his own against 2015 Undertaker.

The losses could have hurt Sting's drawing power for some, but I don't think that's going to matter if he has only one more, final match against The Undertaker. The misconception I keep seeing here is people looking at Sting vs Taker like it's a Streak match. It's not. The story isn't "can Sting beat the Undertaker?" The match can be built/promoted as a double retirement for two veterans who have only more big fight left in them, and they just want to face each other because that's the match the fans wanted and chanted for. In a scenario like that, Sting's win/loss record wouldn't matter all that much.

I don't know if Cena/Taker is bigger than Taker/Sting on paper. It could have been a huge Streak match years ago when Cena was at his most unstoppable. In current times it doesn't look all that interesting, mostly because Cena is always in varying degrees of staleness and there's nothing he really does that we haven't seen before. If WWE put their marketing machine behind Taker/Sting and really sold WHY it is a dream match, it could be bigger. A point I made earlier (which you ignored) was that Sting does have elements to his character that are similar to the Undertaker's; we've seen them on display during Sting's WWE run. They can be emphasized further in their feud.

While you can list maybe one or two other options for Taker's final opponent, it's certainly debatable whether they would draw more than a match against Sting. On the other hand, it's not debatable that the biggest thing left for Sting to do is face The Undertaker. It's a huge part of why people wanted him in WWE in the first place. We never got Hogan/Austin. We never got HBK/Rock. Sting/Taker still has a chance of happening, so it'd be a real shame if it was added to that list. It's the most WWE can get out of Stinger after all they have invested in him up to this point.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Headlesspete » Sep 24, '15, 12:33 pm

Man, KaiserGlider pretty much nailed it on my behalf!

I gotta say, the Sting vs Undertaker dream match has never seemed so close yet so far away. I can understand all the reasons as to why the Undertaker would be better of facing someone else, why Sting hasn't been built up enough, why it won't be as good as everyone wants it to be. It all makes sense.

And then i think of the Brock / Undertaker stuff from SummerSlam. Before Battleground, the idea of another Undertaker/Brock match and story was the last thing I or anyone else would want to see. Yet in the space of 24 hours, WWE created a compelling story that not only made me want to see it (a complete U turn on what i though before) but actually pulled me in and sold me on it. And lets not forget the match turned out way better than a lot of us seem to predict!

If the WWE can use its magic to make me want to see one match i never wanted to see again, it certainly has the ability to make me and others want to see a dream match that simply needs to include some creativity.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 61

Postby Hanley! » Sep 24, '15, 4:24 pm

Yeah, I couldn't remember anything specific about the ratings back when Lesnar returned. I'll take your word for it if you say Lesnar lifted them a bit. It wouldn't entirely surprise me anyway. But I remember reports that his pay per views weren't doing the numbers expected of him and were down from previous years. Except for his first pay per view appearance against Cena. I think that was the point I was making in the original thread: that when Cena beat him it hurt his drawing power going forward.

Back to Sting though, it's pretty obvious that he's had no impact on ratings whatsoever. They're about as low as they've ever been right now. I'm not blaming him by any means, I think the low ratings at the moment are down to a number of factors (mostly the show just kind of sucking). But he certainly hasn't helped things at all.

More than that, there just hasn't been any kind of buzz about Sting being back. There hasn't been more people talking about the product, or more people excited about it. The audience's haven't always given him an electric response. He just comes across like another guy. And it didn't have to be that way. I'm a massive fan of WCW Sting; one of the biggest you're likely to meet. I would have loved for this run to go well. They've just done such a bad job of making him look like a star.

And I know that they've had the commentators talk about how much of a star he is, but the first rule of writing is show don't tell. They needed to demonstrate why this guy was a big deal, rather than talking him up while making him look like a chump.

Then there's the problem that the commentators probably have less credibility with the audience than they've ever had before. A lot of people just tune them out. Also, calling him one of the biggest stars in WCW is all well and good, except they've never failed to make that company out to be second rate.

As for the Undertaker vs Sting, well I'm guessing it's off the table now because of Sting's health. But if it was possible still, then I agree it's the biggest match they could do with Sting. I'm not sure it's the biggest match they could do with Undertaker, but it'd at least be up there near the top of the pile. And I do think that it could be salvaged into a feud people could get excited about. That being said, I don't think it's a match that draws much at this point. And it could have been. That's what bugs me.

Ultimately, I don't think we actually disagree on all that much, it's just a matter of perspective. Without wanting to put words in your mouth, I think you're just a bit more forgiving or optimistic about what's happened with Sting in the company so far, and true to form, I'm a bit more of a pessimistic cunt about it.

I'm guessing you would have had Sting beat Triple H at Wrestlemania if you had the chance, but you don't think it's that big a deal that he lost. And I do. That's the difference, I think. I thought that was a really shitty decision and I don't want to let them off the hook for it. There was no good reason to have Triple H go over. It achieved nothing positive and strongly hurt the credibility of a guy who could have been a big deal for them. It was just a fucking ludicrous, entirely ego-driven decision. Likewise I think it was foolish to put him straight into a championship match with no big wins, despite knowing that it was a match that he had to lose. It was also a bat shit crazy decision to have a chicken shit heel opponent wrestle a match previously, get killed on the floor, and then go over Sting clean. How is it possible to book that badly?

It just bugs me that the attitude in WWE right now is that these things don't matter. Wins don't matter (this was an actual quote from Nikki Bella recently), finishes don't matter. They just act like they can do what they want and it's basically fine, and it's rubbing off on the fans a little now. People will make excuses for WWE, rather than calling them on their shit.

It'd be an exaggeration to say Sting is not a star, or that he's not over. But I would say the way they've handled him has been objectively bad, and that there's all the evidence in the world to suggest that it's had a negative impact on his star power and drawing ability for the company. So I'm going to keep being negative on their booking until they give me something to be positive about. I don't think giving the company free passes on terrible decisions is going to make the show any better.

I understand where you're coming from though, so I hope you don't think I'm being overly harsh on your opinions or anything. I probably agree with you on more of this stuff than I don't. I'm just through with giving these writers the benefit of the doubt.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 25, '15, 12:04 am

Yeah, overall I've been disappointed in Sting's WWE run too. I enjoyed him more in TNA even though they didn't present him as a special attraction. I would definitely have booked Sting over Triple H (as anyone else would have, I'm sure). Even if Triple H goes on to face someone like The Rock next year, Sting still should have won. But that decision didn't bother me at first because I was one of the few people here who really enjoyed his match with Triple H. I was enjoying it so much that Triple H's sudden win didn't snap me out of the moment and piss me off. Like I said before, I thought Sting looked pretty good in the match and he had the crowd in the palm of his hand right up until he got pinned. Looking at the big picture and how everything has played out with Sting since then, I fully agree that it was a bad decision.

Headlesspete made a good point that I wanted to touch on: WWE has the power to really sell people on any match in a very a short period of time. Unfortunately this rarely happens. WWE's booking is getting increasingly lazy, and they announce matches with little to no buildup behind them more and more often. I think this has conditioned the audience to look at future matches from the perspective of "is this going to be a good wrestling match?", or "how much do I care about these competitors?", rather than "what will the build up leading up to the PPV be?". Because they know there isn't going to be much of a story.

I feel like Sting vs The Undertaker is being looked at the same way, as a match whose drawing power is entirely dependent on the star power of the competitors involved and their ability to wrestle. It's not being looked at as a potentially interesting rivalry because people don't have faith in WWE to give the match much buildup. And rightfully so, to be honest I don't have much faith either.

But nevertheless, it's fun for me to sit here and fantasy book because I know Sting/Taker has the potential to be a good storyline if done right. The WWE machine has the power to make that happen. It has the power to make Sting look really good in one or two Raw episodes. He won't be on television for months anyway, which means there will be fresh return momentum to capitalize on. If they book Sting that well when he comes back, I think his previous history and losses against HHH and Rollins won't matter so much - because the audience will be entirely invested in the present and future, not on what happened months ago.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Str8Shooter » Sep 25, '15, 7:12 am

Did anyone else think they did a poor job of explaining and showing people who may not have been familiar with Sting who he was?

I mean in his entire return/lead up to his matches, I think they showed clips of his career on one episode of Raw throughout the night before the Rollins match. And two of his "career" highlights were his return at Survivor Series and his match at Mania. They have access to all this stuff, and the Network, and they barely showed anything of him during his prime.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 25, '15, 12:06 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:Did anyone else think they did a poor job of explaining and showing people who may not have been familiar with Sting who he was?

I mean in his entire return/lead up to his matches, I think they showed clips of his career on one episode of Raw throughout the night before the Rollins match. And two of his "career" highlights were his return at Survivor Series and his match at Mania. They have access to all this stuff, and the Network, and they barely showed anything of him during his prime.

They played this video package on Raw:

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Sep 25, '15, 1:13 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:Did anyone else think they did a poor job of explaining and showing people who may not have been familiar with Sting who he was?

Yeah, I thought they did a pretty terrible job. Showing clips of his career was a good idea (and something that they probably should have done sooner), but then they only showed like 2 clips from his time in WCW. On a 3 hour show with loads of filler, they could have done so much better than that.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Circled Square » Sep 25, '15, 1:15 pm

goat thread tbh

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 209

Return to WWE