It is currently: May 21, '24, 7:54 pm

Why do people dislike Sheamus?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Why do people dislike Sheamus?

Postby Messiah » Aug 26, '15, 9:18 am

Lately, I have seen a lot of people hate on Sheamus and I guess I don't understand why. It's true that Sheamus was boring as fuck when he was a babyface, but I think he's been really good as a heel, at least when they give him something to work with that isn't a dull ass program with Orton. He has good mannerisms in the ring, good on the microphone, and can work a solid/great match with just about anyone on the roster. Not to mention his entrance is badass.

Why the hate?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Why do people dislike Sheamus?

Postby lyonssv » Aug 26, '15, 9:23 am

I made this comment in another thread, I thought he was fantastic when he returned as a heel and was just brutally kicking everyone's ass. II have been bored with him when they paired him in this program with Orton. Bit, I think he could be very entertaining in some fresh feuds. Dude is violent in the ring which is cool and like you said, his entrance is one of the best. I don't "hate" him, but his current feud is yawn worthy.

lyonssv Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 13

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 26, '15, 9:28 am

For me, Sheamus usually ranges from boring to acceptable. If he has someone good to work with he can be a competent midcard monster. The fact is, though, he's holding the Money in the Bank and the idea of Sheamus being the WWE champion is dreadful. Not as dreadful as Sting being the WWE champion mind you but I'd still prefer he failed a cash in or lost the briefcase somehow.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby The Legend » Aug 26, '15, 9:50 am

Here's mostly my issue with Sheamus when you look at his career arc. He debuts hot with an interesting element to his character and attitude. He runs one dimensionally with that interesting element until he becomes totally boring because he doesn't diversify enough. He gets injured/taken off TV, until he re-debuts with a slightly different package that starts the cycle over again. Part of it is the booking he gets, but also part of it is Sheamus isn't quite capable of being multi-deimensional himself either.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Aug 26, '15, 10:51 am

I think it has more to do with his history than his talent.

Sheamus is a really good performer. He's a great worker in the ring, and very underrated in that respect. He's a pretty good talker too. He can also play his character brilliantly in the ring, with over the top facials and body language. I saw a WWE house show this year, and Sheamus stood out as one of the best and most natural performers of the night.

The problem is that they've booked him terribly over the years. He won the title too fast, which put the "gym buddies with Triple H" stigma on him. People thought he was only getting pushed because he kissed ass and not because he was talented. Whether or not that was true, the guy obviously did have talent. But people were inclined to see past it because of his fast push.

He soon settled into a role that almost always sucks for a guy as huge as Sheamus: wimpy heel. He wasn't tough enough to beat anybody clean, spent half his time running away from people, and for a guy that large it was just hard to buy. He looked goofy.

Then came the Irish Cena run, where there was nothing to his character at all. He never lost, he cut dull promos and there was no reason to give a fuck.

I thought he seemed great on his return. His feud with Ziggler was going really well. I liked the idea of his gimmick being that he didn't respect the "vanilla midgets" on the show. That he thought only huge, tough, larger than life characters should be wrestlers. That gimmick had legs. But they've barely explored that at all lately. Which is a shame, because he seemed to be picking up a little momentum for a month or two there. I thought the segment where he was forced to kiss Ziggler's ass, but eventually refused and laid Ziggler out was one of the most entertaining segments in WWE all year. Now he's just another bland heel.

Giving him the Money in the Bank was a stupid move too. I think that put the stigma of "pushed too fast" back on him, and from there it's difficult to recover. He could put on spectacular performances every week now and there'd still be a lot of people claiming that he doesn't deserve the briefcase.

They need to stop giving the briefcase to people instead of pushing them. You need to let someone build momentum before you tell everyone that they're going to be the world champion soon. I don't like the MITB gimmick anyway, I think it's a cop out to avoid giving someone a proper push. But if they're going to keep using the gimmick, they need to make sure that they're giving the briefcase to guys who actually look ready to be moved into the main event. Sheamus could have been a great candidate next year, if they had spent this year actually getting him over.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby VaderBomb » Aug 26, '15, 11:27 am

Honestly, WWE should've kept the Ziggler/Sheamus feud going for longer, it could've had the chance to become a classic grudge program.

Once Kevin Owens and Cesaro are through working together, Cesaro should work a long multi-month feud with Sheamus. They're both good performers and like Ziggler, Cesaro is a babyface opponent who will get resounding cheers to combat against the boo's that Sheamus naturally receives. They have good chemistry in the ring and having Cesaro feud with the MITB briefcase holder would keep him in the limelight until he eventually gets the world championship PPV match that he deserves.

Then turn Reigns heel to feud with Ambrose and all will be right.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Romo » Aug 26, '15, 12:23 pm

I think the thing I hate the most is his lack of ability to speed a match up, everything is very boring and slow, even John "6 moves" Cena speeds up the match every now and again so naturally I am not entertained by Sheamus, I don't expect high flying action but abit more speed in his wrestling would be great

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Hanley! » Aug 26, '15, 12:30 pm

^^ But in fairness, Cena is a face. Sheamus is a heel. His job will often be to slow down the pace of the match to add drama and put heat on himself, while it's the face's job to fire up and get the crowd excited. There's a balancing act there, to make sure the crowd don't get bored during the heat spots, but I think Sheamus generally does a pretty good job of it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Locke » Aug 26, '15, 1:52 pm

I've repped people for saying it better than I could.

I'll just chime in that I find him boring. I think he's more boring than Randy Borton, even.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Return to WWE