It is currently: May 17, '24, 7:04 am

If Samoa Joe can get an NXT deal, then could Austin Aries?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

If Samoa Joe can get an NXT deal, then could Austin Aries?

Postby DBSoT » May 29, '15, 8:53 am

I was reading today that Austin Aries' contract with TNA expires in June. This made me wonder if he would consider following in Samoa Joe's foot steps and heading to NXT. He seems to meet the same criteria that WWE saw in recent talents. He was a huge Indy name before moving over to TNA and proving his worth on a slightly bigger stage. He has charisma, mic skills, and is a skilled veteran in ring worker. Just like Joe, Owens, Balor, and Itami, he has a name that would be recognizable with the NXT crowd even before his debut.

So I ask you, do you think this is a possible signing and will he get the same specialty deal that Joe got?

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 218

Re: If Samoa Joe can get an NXT deal, then could Austin Aries?

Postby SlightlyJames » May 29, '15, 9:07 am

I don't think Joe's deal is a long term thing, I think if he's going to stick around in NXT for any significant amount of time he's going to be signed properly. As for Aries, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want him as he seems very talented.

I don't see how NXT can continue in its current format if they keep bringing in all these great guys, there just won't be enough space in a one hour show. Sure, some guys are heading up and there are a few injuries right now but it's going to be a challenge to incorporate that many guys.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby VaderBomb » May 29, '15, 10:07 am

Aries was denied a contract a few years back apparently because he wasn't big enough but WWE is a different place now. I believe that he'd be a welcome addition to NXT considering he's the same size as Hideo Itami and has just as much talent. Not only is he exceptional in ring but he's an all around great character. In the aftermath of the popularity of Punk, Bryan, Zayn etc., WWE seem to finally understand why people cheer for and are fans of passionate wrestlers who make names for themselves as opposed to bodybuilders and athletes who are handpicked because of their image.

Size and image have never mattered and despite guys like Baron Corbin getting time in the spotlight, it's pretty obvious that the fans want passionate wrestlers. I mean shit, that's all I've ever wanted.

I'd personally welcome Aries into WWE with open arms. He's been one of the best wrestlers in the world for the past decade and more than deserves to fight alongside all of the great talent in NXT.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Str8Shooter » May 29, '15, 10:28 am

I could potentially see Aries getting a chance in the same vain as Joe is currently getting.

If WWE is serious about having NXT as a touring brand then they are going to need to have some indy draws. They already have some, but guys like Balor, Zayn, and Owens will be on the main roster before too much longer I would think and they'll need some new guys to take their place. Baron Corbin can't be main eventing NXT touring shows. :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » May 29, '15, 2:39 pm

Aries deserves it, he's one of the best in the world and has been for years. I'd love to see him face a few WWE guys

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » May 29, '15, 3:48 pm

I don't think Aries has the cache name that Samoa Joe has, unfortunately. Though he's a far superior worker at this point in their respective careers (I'd argue that he's also better in general). So I guess it depends on what enticed WWE to sign Joe in the first place. If they wanted someone with a bit of name recognition to attract more eyes to NXT, then maybe they won't bother with Aries. If they're just actively recruiting the best available talent, then I reckon they have to make a play for Aries.

I'd love to see him there anyway. I'd rather see him perform than the majority of the men in NXT. Nothing against them, but Aries is so good he'd almost instantly become my favourite male on the roster. Excepting maybe Sami Zayn.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to WWE