It is currently: May 05, '24, 4:11 pm

Seth Rollins represents the nations thoughts about the ice bucket challenge

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Re: Seth Rollins represents the nations thoughts about the ice bucket challenge

Postby Everlong » Aug 23, '14, 12:09 pm

Just saw this thread now. My thoughts on the Ice Bucket Challenge: it's annoying, it's self-indulgent and a majority of people doing it on Facebook don't really give a shit about raising awareness and are more concerned about receiving social media validation. But on the other hand, it's definitely generated a ton of donations and awareness for a debilitating disease.

So I'm happy to deal with the nuisance of it, but I wouldn't take part in it myself because there's just something about it that rubs me the wrong way. It's different when people are actually donating, but I'm positive most of my friends aren't. And I also don't like that this challenge makes people like me become judgy about whether or not people are donating, because making a charitable donation shouldn't be something you feel pressured into doing.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Romo » Aug 23, '14, 12:10 pm

I think this is the best way to make one of these ice bucket challenge videos

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOa7ZjxRuKM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 225

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 23, '14, 12:16 pm

Everlong wrote:Just saw this thread now. My thoughts on the Ice Bucket Challenge: it's annoying, it's self-indulgent and a majority of people doing it on Facebook don't really give a shit about raising awareness and are more concerned about receiving social media validation. But on the other hand, it's definitely generated a ton of donations and awareness for a debilitating disease.

So I'm happy to deal with the nuisance of it, but I wouldn't take part in it myself because there's just something about it that rubs me the wrong way. It's different when people are actually donating, but I'm positive most of my friends aren't. And I also don't like that this challenge makes people like me become judgy about whether or not people are donating, because making a charitable donation shouldn't be something you feel pressured into doing.

The big thing for me is I just saw yesterday that the ALS Foundation has raised like 55 million or something ridiculous so far, where they usually are at around 2.2 million in funds raised so far. That's a staggering amount. All the people doing it for attention or what not, really not a big deal when I see numbers like that.

Not to mention I learned a bit more about the disease and just how brutal it is. I highly suggest everyone do a little research on ALS and see just what it's all about.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Romo » Aug 23, '14, 12:19 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
Everlong wrote:Just saw this thread now. My thoughts on the Ice Bucket Challenge: it's annoying, it's self-indulgent and a majority of people doing it on Facebook don't really give a shit about raising awareness and are more concerned about receiving social media validation. But on the other hand, it's definitely generated a ton of donations and awareness for a debilitating disease.

The big thing for me is I just saw yesterday that the ALS Foundation has raised like 55 million or something ridiculous so far, where they usually are at around 2.2 million in funds raised so far. That's a staggering amount. All the people doing it for attention or what not, really not a big deal when I see numbers like that.

Not to mention I learned a bit more about the disease and just how brutal it is. I highly suggest everyone do a little research on ALS and see just what it's all about.

If you skip past all the first bit and get the main bit of this video it should show the effects of ALS

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Viazon » Aug 24, '14, 2:12 am

OK, I am now starting to see why people are getting so annoyed with it. At first, all I saw were videos of celebrities doing it, who all let us know it was for ALS and all urged people to donate. Now, my newsfeed is just filled up with my Facebook friends all nominating each other and making no mention of the ALS or donating any money. I feel like these people are just doing it because it's the trend.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Messiah » Aug 24, '14, 4:24 am

Viazon wrote:OK, I am now starting to see why people are getting so annoyed with it. At first, all I saw were videos of celebrities doing it, who all let us know it was for ALS and all urged people to donate. Now, my newsfeed is just filled up with my Facebook friends all nominating each other and making no mention of the ALS or donating any money. I feel like these people are just doing it because it's the trend.

This exactly.

I don't have an issue with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

I have an issue with the Ice Bucket Challenge. The absurd amount of people doing it and nominating people is beyond obnoxious. And a very large amount of people aren't donating or even giving mention to the ALS disease, hence them simply saying Ice Bucket Challenge. It is like they think the only purpose of it is to dump water on your head.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 24, '14, 7:32 am

Viazon wrote:OK, I am now starting to see why people are getting so annoyed with it. At first, all I saw were videos of celebrities doing it, who all let us know it was for ALS and all urged people to donate. Now, my newsfeed is just filled up with my Facebook friends all nominating each other and making no mention of the ALS or donating any money. I feel like these people are just doing it because it's the trend.

If it bothers you so much then try and do something, don't just complain about it to us. You should comment on every video on your feed saying it's the "ALS" Ice Bucket Challenge and you're supposed to be donating to the cause and not just doing it for fun.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Aug 24, '14, 11:13 am

Even the people who don't donate are indirectly helping the story to spread too though. I don't mean that as a defense of their actions - which are strictly attention seeking and in no way charitable. But they are kind of still helping in a strictly accidental way. They're part of why the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has become such a big story in the news, and it's helped create awareness and circulate the challenge to even more people who do care about the charity aspect.

That's part of why I think this was a pretty smart campaign. They were able to use a lot of people who usually wouldn't give a shit about charity (and still don't) and use those people to help to spread their message. It's kind of genius when you think about it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Kein » Aug 24, '14, 6:39 pm

Old spice knows whats up.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Kyle » Aug 24, '14, 7:27 pm

See, THIS is what the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is all about:

When you have a big celebrity like Charlie Sheen talk about the importance of donating, it carries weight. Most celebrities out there are encouraging people to donate above everything else though, which is truly admirable.

GO PACK GO!
Kyle None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 7

Postby Stvtayl » Aug 26, '14, 5:59 am

Water falls on floor.....soaks into ground.........sun dehydrates floor................water go back into sky............water come back down and refill rivers when rain :lol

My All time Fave 6 Diva's & Knockouts :)
Stvtayl None specified
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 15

Postby PorkChop » Aug 26, '14, 6:03 am

I've literally just received a phonecall from one of my mates who's been nominated for this, and needs help filming it.

He's not donating any money to charity, he's just chucking ice water over his head.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 26, '14, 6:30 am

PorkChop wrote:I've literally just received a phonecall from one of my mates who's been nominated for this, and needs help filming it.

He's not donating any money to charity, he's just chucking ice water over his head.

Cuss him out over it.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 26, '14, 7:17 am

PorkChop wrote:I've literally just received a phonecall from one of my mates who's been nominated for this, and needs help filming it.

Well then you have the responsibility of informing him about why he should donate to the cause. If he doesn't, then don't help him do it.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Aug 29, '14, 7:24 am

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Georgerv » Aug 31, '14, 12:32 am

While I don't agree with those filming the challenge when not actually donating, those that are hating on the entire idea of this challenge are a fuckton worse.
At the end of the day, even those that don't donate are creating awareness, albeit minimal, and who gives a shit about those that are being self-indulgent, so long as it's raising money I really don't see the problem. This is getting people that don't usually donate to charity to donate, and those that aren't donating themselves are probably still bringing awareness too and as such convincing those that don't usually donate to.
Unless you live in one of the unfortunate areas that happens to be suffering from the drought, how could anyone be against this campaign?

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 42

Postby Chewy » Aug 31, '14, 2:31 am

All this fucking talk of saving water. Think of how many people drown every year in water. Think of all the people who are eaten and killed by thing that live in water.

Dinosaurs were killed of by an ice age, which is just cold water.

And if you aren't scared enough, think on this.

The only true link we have between every fatal illness since the dawn of time was that they were all contracted and passed on by people who drunk water.

We need to sack up and fucking stop this water before it destroys us all.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Previous

Return to WWE