It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 10:07 am

Gargano/Cole

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Gargano/Cole

Postby Messiah » Apr 05, '19, 8:16 pm

My god... what a freakin 'match.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Gargano/Cole

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 06, '19, 8:39 am

Yup. That whole TakeOver was awesome per usual. It was great to see WALTER win the UK title as well.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 06, '19, 9:48 am

That match was nuts, I thought Johnny was toast like 5 times. It was cool the crowd seemed to be pro Cole but the more insane it got they got behind Johnny more.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Apr 06, '19, 10:54 am

I liked some of the other matches better, honestly, but I was sleepy by the main event so that might have had something to do with it. Very strong Takeover though. WALTER vs Dunne was one of my most anticipated matches for the weekend, and it delivered.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Messiah » Apr 06, '19, 1:23 pm

Hanley! wrote:I liked some of the other matches better, honestly, but I was sleepy by the main event so that might have had something to do with it. Very strong Takeover though. WALTER vs Dunne was one of my most anticipated matches for the weekend, and it delivered.

I thought Cole/Gargano started off slow-ish/underwhelming (but hard to blame NXT or either guy much; they had to scramble to create a story for this because of Ciampa's injury). However, I thought the third fall was FANTASTIC. Some of the most fun I've had watching wrestling in a long time. Everyone knows I hate false finishes as much as the next guy, but this was one of the rare instances where it worked to perfection. I was convinced Gargano had lost the match after the Undisputed Era's interference and Cole's finisher, but alas. I thought they did a good job (Ranallo on commentary especially) pushing the story that Gargano just wasn't going to lose that night. It wasn't that Adam Cole wasn't good enough, it was that he fought Gargano on the wrong night. I liked that. I'd definitely re-watch it again to see if you like it more a second time around.

WALTER vs Dunne was good too, but I actually think my second favorite match of the night was the Fatal 4-Way. I love Lynch, I loved Banks (still do, but they have done a terrible job with her on the main roster), I love Charlotte, but in my opinion, the best woman in the company right now is Shayne Baszler. She's flat out one of the best performers in the company, WWE or NXT. She is so fucking vicious, like I thought Asuka was a bad-ass but it really feels like Baszler is going to beat the shit out of someone when she is in the ring. I was rooting hard for Bionca in that match but I couldn't even get mad at Baszler winning, she's just too damn good. A Baszler vs. Lynch feud could be MONEY.

Someone said it somewhere else but man if Baszler had Rousey's popularity? I like Rousey but Baszler >>>>.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby Hanley! » Apr 06, '19, 4:26 pm

Part of my problem with Cole/Gargano is that the 2 out of 3 falls stipulation was completely pointless to begin with and then they didn't do anything to really justify it or make it part of the story. The match picked up when we got to the third fall, but they could have just started things like that. I guess the one advantage is if they're building to a rematch, Cole can say if it was a regular singles match he would have won the title.

I thought every match on the show was good. If I had to give my favourite right now, I'd probably say Dream vs Riddle. That's more what I want out of NXT Takeover: the classic singles matches. I think they get carried away these days with unnecessary gimmicks. Plus those guys just worked well together. Riddle is insanely good in the ring, and Dream is pretty great too and makes up for any minor in-ring shortcomings with his awesome gimmick and charisma.

The women's four way was good. Probably the weakest match on the show, but still nothing to complain about. I would have preferred a singles match though. WWE are literally not presenting even one women's singles match this week, which is disappointing in a so-called women's revolution. I love Bayzler too, I'd rather watch her than Rousey any day. She has such a menacing aura about her, and she's an awesome heel. Basically the WALTER of the women's division, which is a massive compliment.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 07, '19, 12:40 pm

Meltzer says he thinks it may be the best WWE match ever. Not sure if I agree, but I want to give it a second watch before I say that I disagree.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Apr 07, '19, 1:34 pm

VaderBomb wrote:Meltzer says he thinks it may be the best WWE match ever. Not sure if I agree, but I want to give it a second watch before I say that I disagree.

I'll give it a second watch, because I was too sleepy to appreciate it properly. But I very much doubt that I'd consider it a better match than - for example - Gargano vs Almas from last year.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 11, '19, 11:11 pm

Okay, so confirmed. Metzer gave this match 5.5 stars, which makes it his highest rated WWE match. Aside from Gargrano/Alms because it's been mentioned, anybody else have any options for a better WWE/F match? I'd say Austin vs Bret at Mania 13 may top it. Also the matches Gargano had with Ciampa had deeper storytelling, and Bryan vs Styles from TLC was amazing, but I still hava eto give Cole vs Gargano a second viewing.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Apr 12, '19, 11:06 am

It's hard to rank any WWE match above Bret vs Austin, considering how important a moment it was in company history and how well that story was told. It might have been the most well-worked match I've seen outside of the Tanahashi/Okada rivalry.

I do think the Almas/Gargano match was probably better than the Cole/Gargano match. There's one of the Revival/DIY matches that I reckon could be thrown in there too. Ciampa/Gargano was an awesome feud, but the matches are honestly a bit overrated. The first one was great, but the following two couldn't come close to matching that standard.

I'd maybe toss Sami Zayn vs Neville into the mix. That's the match that initially got me interested in NXT, after a period where I wasn't following WWE. The action in the ring might not have been as spectacular as some more recent NXT matches, but the storytelling was better than any WWE match since Bret vs Austin. I was really invested in the outcome of that match in a way that I rarely am anymore.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 12, '19, 1:52 pm

I re-watched Gargano vs Cole last night and it's easily one of the greatest matches in WWE history. Now I feel like I should watch Gargano vs Almas again to compare the two. I've seen the latter twice but both viewings were right around the time that it happened.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Return to WWE