It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:35 pm

Gargano/Ciampa with an epic video package

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Gargano/Ciampa with an epic video package

Postby Messiah » Apr 05, '18, 8:53 am

No way this match is anything less than awesome, right?

The NXT Takeover card overall is tremendous. I haven't been too interested in a lot of the past NXT's, but this is the first one in awhile that has me pumped.

Gargano/Ciampa in an unsanctioned match
Cole vs EC3 vs Velveteen vs Dain vs Sullivan vs Ricochet in a ladder match for a new title
Cole (can't believe he's going to double duty, mainly because one of those will be a ladder match)/O'Reilly vs Authors of Pain vs Strong/Dunne
Moon vs Baszler
Almas vs Black

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Gargano/Ciampa with an epic video package

Postby The Legend » Apr 05, '18, 10:30 am

Yeah, this card should be fantastic. Great build to every match, most every match is really unpredictable. Unfortunately, if I were to pick a match that's a let down it's the Main Event. Black isn't really a guy I can get behind and if I was forced to I couldn't tell you if I really wanted either of these guys to win the match.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Apr 05, '18, 12:52 pm

The Legend wrote:Yeah, this card should be fantastic. Great build to every match, most every match is really unpredictable. Unfortunately, if I were to pick a match that's a let down it's the Main Event. Black isn't really a guy I can get behind and if I was forced to I couldn't tell you if I really wanted either of these guys to win the match.

I love every Takeover show, and I'm really looking forward to this one, but I agree with you on Black.

There's something there that I'm not seeing that almost everyone else does. People keep talking about him like he's the hottest act on NXT. The guy with the most potential. But I just don't see that in him. He's a talented in-ring worker, but he's not better than the other great wrestlers on that brand. As a talker and a personality, he's well behind most of the other big names on the roster: Gargano, Ciampa, Cole, Young, Dunne, EC3, Velveteen Dream, Ricochet ... even Almas.

I think it's an Undertaker thing. He's a big guy with a dark gimmick and a cool entrance. People are trying to crowbar Black into the Undertaker-shaped hole on the main roster. But I don't think a look and an entrance can get him over as a big star on the main roster. He needs more personality. And there are other guys on NXT that have that kind of personality.

I'm still looking forward to the match, because it should be really good. But it does feel like it should be second or third from the top. I don't see Black as the guy in NXT yet, or anything close to it.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Apr 05, '18, 1:57 pm

Honestly, I think the biggest thing is he just shouldn't be playing a face to me. He doesn't look like a typical babyface and doesn't really act like one either. The combination of a ruthless badass babyface is really hard to pull off because you need the right amount of redeeming qualities (Austin could do it, Orton and others have failed miserably).

The Undertaker comparison is even a good one I think. Taker worked the first year and a half as a heel and even after his first face turn he'd return to being a heel for most of the first decade of his time in WWF. Only after fans saw his ring work and mic work did they grow a respect for him that made him a permanent babyface.

I hadn't watched NXT for a while, picked it up at last Takeover and been watching since and so I don't know what Black's done previously, but it's very jarring to see him as a face in basically my first introduction to him.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Messiah » Apr 05, '18, 5:09 pm

I'm not a big fan of Black either, but I don't mind him.

I'd say he is a lot like Nakamura, actually. Someone people like despite the fact they haven't really been given an actual reason, sans a cool entrance, to like. Whether that be through character work or storylines. I thought Nakamura's title reign was the most boring point in NXT and the same could happen if Black wins unless they give him better material to work with.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Postby DBSoT » Apr 05, '18, 8:14 pm

I like Black, but I understand people who aren't there yet. He is a lot like Orton. Has a good look, a badass finisher, in-ring talent and a great entrance, but his gimmick limits his promos. I actually think his most recent promo against Vega was the most personality he has shown. It had some humor and pull back the viel a bit.

Back on topic - Gargano/Ciampa is my most anticipated match of the weekend. It is exactly what wrestling should be. A great long term story between a true face and true heel that have serious history. The fact that they have the in-ring talent to blow the door off the place is also a big plus.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Return to WWE