It is currently: May 08, '24, 5:16 am

The Undertaker vs John Cena won't happen this Sunday

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Re: The Undertaker vs John Cena won't happen this Sunday

Postby Hanley! » Apr 04, '18, 5:03 pm

My head is past exploding at this point, but I appreciate the effort. ;)

I only really care if Undertaker wrestles this year from an academic standpoint, because I'm not going to be watching Wrestlemania. I might catch some highlights later in the week, if anything sounds good, but I'm just not interested enough in the show this year.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Apr 04, '18, 5:46 pm

Hanley! wrote:My head is past exploding at this point, but I appreciate the effort. ;)

I only really care if Undertaker wrestles this year from an academic standpoint, because I'm not going to be watching Wrestlemania. I might catch some highlights later in the week, if anything sounds good, but I'm just not interested enough in the show this year.

I hear you, I'll be watching, but only out of the tradition of it being a big get together with friends to watch.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 04, '18, 8:09 pm

Hanley! wrote:People are always throwing shade at certain indy guys for endangering themselves by doing too much in the ring. Well at this point, a brisk walk is almost too much for Undertaker, so lets put him under that same level of scrutiny. He's been a physical wreck for a decade, and is now past the point of even being able to have a decent match with a good wrestler like Roman Reigns after a year preparing himself for it. If he keeps wrestling, he could seriously hurt himself. Even if he doesn't, the best he can hope for is to have a decent wrestling match.

I don't think ours is the minority opinion here. I don't deny that there are still people who want to see this match, but not nearly as much as they did a few years ago. There isn't a genuine buzz or excitement around it. And there are plenty who seem to have soured on the idea entirely. The casual wrestling fans that I know have no interest in the Undertaker because he represents the outdated product that they stopped watching in the first place. Meanwhile, many if not most of the hardcore fans online are bored of him and know that he can't deliver in the ring anymore.

Yeah, based on what I've seen I would say that interest in this match is down all across the board compared to where it used to be, mostly due to Undertaker's performance against Reigns last year. Though I do think the match is still a big draw and doesn't deserve this kind of non-promotion that it's been getting.

Lots of people were quick to declare that Undertaker couldn't wrestle anymore after his match against Brock at Wrestlemania 30, but then Taker came back and had a good series of matches with Brock the following year. I don't know if you can make assumptions like "a brisk walk would be too much for him at this point". The Indy guys are going out there constantly to try to get themselves over; Undertaker wrestles once a year. He can spend one year preparing and says he feels great for most of that year and then break something in the final week before the match. I remember reading last year that he was having problems with his rib due to surgery or something like that. It's possible that he can have one more good match left in him.

Y'all know we'll get another two decades of destruction from Taker. Just like Legend said, one match every two years, and he'll show up at every Wrestlemania to announce the next one. You heard it here second!

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Previous

Return to WWE