It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 3:16 pm

Wrestlemania build

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Wrestlemania build

Postby Everlong » Feb 19, '18, 8:57 am

So most people on here seemed pretty indifferent about the build to WrestleMania in the aftermatch of the Royal Rumble.

What's the feeling now? Will this be a wrestlemania worth watching?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Wrestlemania build

Postby Viazon » Feb 19, '18, 10:37 am

I haven't been watching WWE lately so I am unaware of any feuds or storylines going on right now. As of now, I have no interest in watching Wrestlemania but if the card looks good I might tune in.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Hanley! » Feb 19, '18, 12:15 pm

Everlong wrote:What's the feeling now? Will this be a wrestlemania worth watching?

Are they ever?

My current plan is similar to last year's: catch the AJ Styles match online the next day. That'll probably do me.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Feb 19, '18, 1:16 pm

I'll be honest, right now I seem to think that they have the basic makings of a good card, that is unless they decide to get too cute, twist things around just because and make a card that is overly complicated.

I mean if they go with AJ vs Shinsuke, Asuka vs Alexa Bliss, Charlotte vs Rousey, that's three really solid one on one matchups that should produce some of the best matches in recent Mania vintages. I'm actually in an odd way even looking forward to the inevitable Roman vs Brock match-up. I mean it's going to happen and Brock has been such a bad champion over the last 18 months that Roman Reigns should have a fantastic run as champion by comparison.

AJ vs Shinsuke won't have a very good build because Nakamura is crap on the mic, but the match will make up for it. Alexa is charismatic enough to carry the talking in her feud and Asuka can get over without saying anything, but being expressive and Charlotte vs Rousey should be gold in the build.

Add in the Miz being IC champ and everything he touches turns to gold, and the intriguing prospect of possibly Balor vs Undertaker and there's two more enjoyable matches (Balor's the one guy that could tell a story with Taker worth watching), I think we might get a Roode vs Cena match at Mania which might be really good too.

I mean that's seven matches WWE could sell me on that I'd buy being entertaining, which will be more than half the card. It could be the best Mania in a while, factoring in that WWE doesn't muck things up with needless triple threats and other things.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Feb 19, '18, 1:43 pm

All the rumours point towards Rousey being involved in a tag match facing against Triple H and Stephanie. They want the Rock to be her tag partner, but may not manage to get him, in which case they'll substitute in someone else. With or without the Rock, this match sounds shit, and I find it pathetic that they're still using Wrestlemania to try and get the McMahons over.

If Undertaker is going to show up (booooo) then he'll be facing Cena this time, I'm sure of it. Again, a match I couldn't possibly give a fuck about. Neither of them are interesting. Undertaker's matches have been bad for years, and Cena's have been pretty bad since last year's Royal Rumble. There's no reason to have sympathy for either of them, or to really care who wins.

Asuka vs Bliss will likely happen. I love Asuka, but unfortunately they haven't really built an opponent for her. I wish they had found a way to put her against Banks or Bayley (without wasting those matches first on television) because as good as Bliss is as a character, she's still not great in ring and people won't take her seriously as a threat.

The Miz vs Braun Strowman is currently a rumoured match. Why?

And of course the main event is the most important thing, and this year's is just a rehash of one that already didn't get over three years ago and will only be worse this time around. The best way to get me to watch Wrestlemania at this point would probably be to announce that Styles vs Nakamura would be the main event match because Nakamura won the Royal Rumble. At least then the show would be building towards something good.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 19, '18, 1:51 pm

I mean, this forum has been dead for a while now and most people here don't seem excited by wrestling anymore in general, so I don't know if the lack of post-Rumble discussion is a good indicator of how good or bad the build to Wrestlemania is this year. Personally, I thought this year's Rumble was the best in years in terms of establishing early hype for Wrestlemania, with Nakmaura winning by eliminating Reigns in an outstanding match to Ronda Rousy making her debut after the first women's rumble. I think the problem is more being burnt out on wrestling than anything else, because we've certainly had far worse-looking Wrestlemania cards than this at the end of February.

Wrestlemania is always worth watching. Last year's Wrestlemania was worth watching. It had it's duds and letdowns, but also had some great stuff and true Wrestlemania moments (Hardys returning, Goldberg/Brock, Undertaker's final stand). One thing that has definitely hurt the last two Manias is the fact that they've been 5 hours long, not counting the pre-show. Unfortunately this will likely be the case for every Wrestlemania to come, but you can still have a good show with enough good content to make people walk away feeling satisfied.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby DBSoT » Feb 20, '18, 8:33 am

Pros:
- Nakamura vs Styles has very high potential to be the best match at WM
- The Miz is doing the best work of his career and that is a pretty high bar
- Braun Strowman is the best thing happening in the WWE. *Winks* "Here is your top face Vince"
- I am indifferent to Ronda Rousey, but I can see her name being good for marketing
- The Usos are fun
- Chad Gable is best thing on SD currently. Granted, that is both a compliment for Gable and a knock on the main event booking
- Elias has been good and I would enjoy a feud with Cena at WM
- I am really excited about the CW tournament. The finals at WM was a good idea. I am hoping for a Roderick Strong vs Buddy Murphy final

Cons:
- The WM main event has been booked for a long time and it has taken away any unpredictability
- SD's main event scene is a booking mess. Nothing they are doing makes sense and it is a waste of top performers like Zayn, Owens and Styles
- Shane McMahon can fuck off
- Stephanie McMahon coming back to face Rousey doesn't excite me at all
- The tag division on both shows have a great collection of teams, but it feels like they are stagnant.
- Why is Bobby Roode a babyface? Why is Zayn a heel? What is Dolph Ziggler?
- The SD top 10 doesn't do anything
- Braun Strowman doing anything, but facing Brock Lesnar is sad
- The changed Apollo Crews name to just Apollo. Da Fuq?
- Raw makes it sound like Asuka is facing Bliss, but I would rather she face Charlotte. Bliss can face Nia, Banks or Bayley
- What is Becky Lynch doing for Mania? You know, SD most over babyface.
- Does Carmella still have the MITB briefcase? I kind of hope she cashes it in at the SD before Mania, just for laughs.
- WWE is making all of their PPVs dual-brand

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Feb 20, '18, 10:16 am

Why does everyone actually think Steph is fighting Rousey? I don't see it at all. I mean maybe if they could get Rock for a tag match they'd go that route, but they can't. If it's not Rousey vs Charlotte straight up, then it's Charlotte, Sasha, Bayley, Becky vs Rousey, Baszler, Marina Shafir (she's already dating Roderick Strong so a deal would probably be easy) and Jessamyn Duke (who has already been training for wrestling).

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Feb 20, '18, 11:50 am

The Legend wrote:Why does everyone actually think Steph is fighting Rousey? I don't see it at all. I mean maybe if they could get Rock for a tag match they'd go that route, but they can't. If it's not Rousey vs Charlotte straight up, then it's Charlotte, Sasha, Bayley, Becky vs Rousey, Baszler, Marina Shafir (she's already dating Roderick Strong so a deal would probably be easy) and Jessamyn Duke (who has already been training for wrestling).

I could see them doing a 4 horsewomen match, but the tag match makes more sense. All four UFC fighters have a connection to wrestling. However, I doubt WWE wants Rousey first match to come across as weak or a botch-fest. If they throw her into a 1on1 match this early, her opponent will have to carry most of the match. Which, I am willing to bet Charlotte could do, but they would still be taking a gamble.

Fun fact: Baszler had a short stint as the valet of O'Reilly and Fish of The Undisputed Era (formally ReDragon) in ROH. I am actually hoping she joins the stable in NXT.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Hanley! » Feb 20, '18, 12:26 pm

The Legend wrote:Why does everyone actually think Steph is fighting Rousey?

1) The angle they shot at Wrestlemania 31, and the fact that WWE were pushing for that match back then.
2) Ronda's first significant on screen interaction since signing her deal has been with Stephanie
3) It's been widely reported. I'm subscribed to the Observer, and they've been saying it for a while. And usually these reports turn out to be fairly accurate, particularly when it comes to Wrestlemania.

Like, nobody is saying that it makes sense, or that it would be a good thing. It's just the most likely thing right now. I'm not in the business of giving WWE the benefit of the doubt.

KaiserGlider wrote:Wrestlemania is always worth watching.

Is it any more worth watching than any of their other shows? Unless you love fireworks or massive sets, I'm not sure what Wrestlemania really offers these days that other shows don't. The things that used to be great about the show have all but vanished recently. It used to be a show where people would go all out to have killer matches, but it's been a few years since we've seen a MOTY candidate at a Wrestlemania. It used to be a show where great storylines reached their conclusion, but that's not really happening these days either.

It's still early days, and if I'm surprised by a fantastic looking card, that would totally bring me around to watching the show again. But the name Wrestlemania just doesn't instill anything close to that same excitement in me that it used to. The magic is gone.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Feb 20, '18, 8:42 pm

Hanley! wrote:
KaiserGlider wrote:Wrestlemania is always worth watching.

Is it any more worth watching than any of their other shows? Unless you love fireworks or massive sets, I'm not sure what Wrestlemania really offers these days that other shows don't. The things that used to be great about the show have all but vanished recently. It used to be a show where people would go all out to have killer matches, but it's been a few years since we've seen a MOTY candidate at a Wrestlemania. It used to be a show where great storylines reached their conclusion, but that's not really happening these days either.

How about I answer your question by reversing it on you: What do the other main roster PPVs offer that Wrestlemania doesn't? You're as likely (at best) to get a match of the year candidate at any other PPV as you are at Wrestlemania these days. That is something which can be looked at as both a negative and a positive. I agree that they haven't been pushing the idea of "that one epic match" at recent Wrestlemanias the way they seemed to in the past (this year being an exception with Styles/Nak). But at the same time, the quality of wrestling throughout the whole roster has drastically shot up in the past few years and B-show PPVs are generally a lot better than they used to be. I haven't gotten the impression that talent are deliberately holding back at Wrestlemania and not trying to go out there and have killer matches. There's been some pretty good ones at the past few Manias, even if they haven't been the best matches of the year. There's good wrestling everywhere. Wrestlemania just has more of everything else:

Stories. We're a year removed from a Wrestlemania that had several long-term storylines culminating (Jericho/Owens, Orton/Bray, Goldberg/Brock, Rollins/HHH). Compare that to the stories that build up the average PPV. And even though Reigns vs Lesnar basically symbolizes everything wrong with the WWE today, it's still the culmination of Lesnar's year-long title reign and the first time he gets outright beaten, which is something.

Moments. In my opinion the Hardy's return was the best PPV moment of last year. You also had Goldberg in possibly his final match in a surprisingly good brawl against Brock. Undertaker leaving his hats and boots in the ring at the end of the show.

Star Power: The only show of the year where you know everyone is gonna be on deck.

And yes, fireworks and massive sets. Atmosphere and pageantry can add a lot to a show. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed Wrestlemania 32. That massive crowd giving off gargantuan pops made everything feel more epic.

It's pretty obvious that Wrestlemania always has plenty to offer that a lot that other shows don't, especially to casuals. I could write a lengthy post summarizing all the problems Wrestlemania has this year, but not having anything more to offer than the average PPV is not one of them.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby JDD » Feb 22, '18, 4:36 pm

Im pretty excited for this years mania.

AJ v Nakamura is gonna be a great match. AJ vs Shane McMahahon was MOTN last year, so i highly doubt this match will be anything but spectacular.

Im hoping the Uso’s get a spot defending the tag titles on the main card this year. They have been doing there best work since the gimmick change, and Smackdowns tag division as a whole has been great.

The cruiserweight tournament happening on 205 live has been awesome, with not a single bad match yet, so i expect the finals of that at mania to be great.

As for the rest of the card, Asuka winning the title will be cool to see. Braun v Roman at Mania 31 was a really fun brawl so if that happens again this year it should be fun. Its probably gonna be way too long like recent Mania’s and have a couple dud’s, but overall im really excited.

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby Messiah » Feb 25, '18, 12:38 am

I'll watch it the next day, but definitely not live. Who the fuck wants to watch a 6 hour show (not including pre-show)?

The Big 4 PPVs are just too damn long nowadays. Even the Rumble, which was probably the best in years, was still a chore to get through.

And apparently the dual-brand PPVs after WrestleMania are going to 4 or 5 hours. That is ridiculous. They should have never toyed with the time. 3 hours for every non-WM PPV and 4 hours for WrestleMania was perfect. By the time the main event of Mania happens nowadays, I'm way too burned out.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Return to WWE