It is currently: May 13, '24, 4:44 pm

Goldberg - done?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Goldberg - done?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 03, '17, 2:06 pm

Surely that was the end of Goldberg?

It has been great to see him back and overcome that disappointing first run in the company and he seems to have completed his goals in the reasons he came back, for his family.

But despite his energy, intensity, he has looked off the pace physically IMO. I thought he looked tired getting down to the ramp last night! He performed in a match that was booked perfectly and he's had a run which at the age of 50 isn't too bad an ending

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Goldberg - done?

Postby Everlong » Apr 03, '17, 2:11 pm

Yeah I don't see any way he's not done at this point. it was a nice final run for him but this always had the feel of a thing that ended at WrestleMania.

Crazy if both Taker and Goldberg wrestled their last matches on the same night!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Apr 03, '17, 2:25 pm

He had a pretty good final run. He's on good terms with WWE now, so his legacy will be preserved. He's managed to go out on a positive note. He'll get a Hall of Fame induction over the next couple of years most likely. This seems like the ideal time for him to call it quits really. He's 50 and it's hard enough to keep in good ring shape at his age. And he has nothing left to prove now.

Slowly but surely, more of the 90s guys seem to be hanging it up for good. We might not have any left in 2-3 more years. I'm looking forward to that possibility. It feels like it's time to be moving on.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 03, '17, 2:28 pm

Yeah it felt like he was done. But given they love their part timers for Mania time, I could see them giving him a call for another match next year.

I know he's said in interviews he was doing this for his son and really hated having to work out so hard to maintain the physique that people expected him to look like. He added a bunch of muscle and weighed much less before coming back.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 05, '17, 11:07 pm

Did anyone catch Goldberg's emotional shoot promo after Raw? For the second night in a row he managed to get the smark crowd on his side, joked about never taking bumps and basically said that he did all this for his son. It was a great way to go out, though he hinted that he'll be making future appearances.

A good discussion could be had about whether they pushed him too much and if he should have been the champion or not, but at the end of the day, I enjoyed Goldberg's run (and numerous squashes of Lesnar) a lot more often than I didn't, and his first and last promos bookended his return really well.

Thank you Bill.

:tim

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 06, '17, 7:39 am

Yeah I saw it, he shamed the crowd into cheering for him :P . Actually they were pretty nice to him from the get go anyway. The best part was his son climbing over the barrier and falling down and Goldberg saying he was already taking bumps. :lol

I still think he'll be back at some point. With Taker gone they're going to need a big part time star for Mania and I'm sure they'll throw a bunch of money at him.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Apr 06, '17, 12:01 pm

I don't think he's going to wrestle again, because apparently he's been miserable lately. Not because of how he's been used on the show, but because of what he has to put his body through to try and look like Bill Goldberg on television. He's probably delighted with how the last few months have gone, and that he managed to have this great final run and cement his legacy. I'm guessing he'll be happy finishing things there.

And he'll get the big Hall of Fame induction soon enough. They need some main event names for those shows over the next few years, and he's an obvious choice.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 06, '17, 2:00 pm

Hanley! wrote:I don't think he's going to wrestle again, because apparently he's been miserable lately. Not because of how he's been used on the show, but because of what he has to put his body through to try and look like Bill Goldberg on television. He's probably delighted with how the last few months have gone, and that he managed to have this great final run and cement his legacy. I'm guessing he'll be happy finishing things there.

And he'll get the big Hall of Fame induction soon enough. They need some main event names for those shows over the next few years, and he's an obvious choice.

I believed this at first too, then in his farewell speech he was careful to say "never say never" at the end. I'm sure he didn't like the work he had to put in, but his kid loved it and when WWE comes calling with an offer with a lot of zeroes on it, it might be hard to turn down.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Apr 06, '17, 2:14 pm

Yeah, but Austin said "never say never" for years. Some people just don't want to rule anything out.

I wouldn't completely rule it out, but it's going to be hard for Goldberg to top what he did this year, and it feels like the time is right for him to discreetly take his leave.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 06, '17, 4:14 pm

Hanley! wrote:Yeah, but Austin said "never say never" for years. Some people just don't want to rule anything out.

I wouldn't completely rule it out, but it's going to be hard for Goldberg to top what he did this year, and it feels like the time is right for him to discreetly take his leave.

I hope you're right. This run probably went better than anyone expected, it's the perfect time to go out on top.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Apr 07, '17, 4:50 am

Honestly, what could he possibly do again in the future? I mean his act has done what it can do in this return and it was a good farewell tour. I mean even AJ Styles can't get a quality 15 minutes out of Goldberg.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 07, '17, 5:55 am

Hanley! wrote:He had a pretty good final run. He's on good terms with WWE now, so his legacy will be preserved. He's managed to go out on a positive note. He'll get a Hall of Fame induction over the next couple of years most likely. This seems like the ideal time for him to call it quits really. He's 50 and it's hard enough to keep in good ring shape at his age. And he has nothing left to prove now.

Slowly but surely, more of the 90s guys seem to be hanging it up for good. We might not have any left in 2-3 more years. I'm looking forward to that possibility. It feels like it's time to be moving on.

This helps explain why the matches were short and he seemed physically off the pace. He seems to be a monster in the gym and he's paid the price by over-training maybe in the bid to look like Goldberg the character that everyone remembered. It's not as if he was in awful shape as he looks after himself but many athletes relax when they're out of competition and bulk up a tad.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby Messiah » Apr 07, '17, 6:55 am

Hanley! wrote:Slowly but surely, more of the 90s guys seem to be hanging it up for good. We might not have any left in 2-3 more years. I'm looking forward to that possibility. It feels like it's time to be moving on.

Excluding Show and Kane, who may as well be retired (shame because this is probably the best Show has looked in a decade or more), Triple H, Jericho, and The Hardy Boyz are the only ones left right?

Then of the early 00s guys, it's just Cena, Lesnar, and Orton left, and two of those guys are part-timers.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 07, '17, 10:36 am

Hanley! wrote:Slowly but surely, more of the 90s guys seem to be hanging it up for good. We might not have any left in 2-3 more years. I'm looking forward to that possibility. It feels like it's time to be moving on.

It is interesting with Taker gone now, Sting done for good after his short run, Austin for sure finished now, HBK clearly not coming back, how the nostalgia acts are running short. There's just Triple H, who's a bit different because he's around all the time anyway. I guess The Rock might wrestle again, but you never know with his schedule.

Of course 5 years from now they'll trot out Cena and Orton as the returning part time Legends.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Apr 07, '17, 11:12 am

I kinda hope guys like HBK and Austin and Foley become a little bit less present too. It's cool that they don't wrestle anymore, but I don't need to see them showing up at Wrestlemania and doing finishers on the young talent either. To me, if you're not wrestling then you shouldn't be doing that stuff either. Except for the rare occasion. Similarly, if the Rock never comes back to cut a 30 minute self-indulgent promo then that's just fine with me.

There could actually be more value to the remaining legends if there were fewer of them, and they weren't a Wrestlemania priority every single year. Nostalgia isn't an unlimited resource. Having just one guy coming back per Wrestlemania and wrestling against a younger talent to rub some of their star power off on him - that would be fantastic.

Not Shane though. Never Shane. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Return to WWE