It is currently: Apr 25, '24, 7:15 am

The main event of WrestleMania 33 will be...

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

The main event of WrestleMania 33 will be...

Postby Messiah » Mar 31, '17, 12:39 pm

Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2017/3 ... lemania-33

According to the latest Wrestling Observer Radio (subscription required but recommended), WWE isn’t planning on closing out WrestleMania 33 with what many believe will be a short match between Goldberg & Brock Lesnar. That honor is currently set to go to Undertaker & Roman Reigns.

I'm assuming this is because it will more than likely be The Undertaker's last match which, love him or hate him, probably deserves the main event slotting. It's worth it if only to see how hard Reigns gets booed.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: The main event of WrestleMania 33 will be...

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 31, '17, 1:20 pm

It'd be a downer if Reigns beats him in his final match so would suggest Undertaker wins. Intrigued by how or if they'd close the show in a unique way to signify his last match and tease something for RAW the next night.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '17, 2:33 pm

Really? Huh. This MUST be Taker's last match then, because I am shocked that this is the main event over Lesnar/Goldberg, HHH/Rollins AND to a lesser extent, Orton/Wyatt.

Just can't keep Reigns away from the main event, can they?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » Mar 31, '17, 2:38 pm

That would make it 3 straight Mania main events for Roman Reigns. How many people have done that?

Off the top of my head, Hogan did it like 9 in a row, and Triple H from Mania 20-22, and Cena from 27-29

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '17, 2:43 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:That would make it 3 straight Mania main events for Roman Reigns. How many people have done that?

Off the top of my head, Hogan did it like 9 in a row, and Triple H from Mania 20-22, and Cena from 27-29

You'd think by now they'd have figured out that people really, really don't want Roman in the main event.

I mean, just look at that list. Hulk Hogan. Triple H. John Cena... Romain Reigns.

One of these things is not like the other. They're really trying to force Roman Reigns, but he's just not going to happen.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 31, '17, 4:54 pm

Son of a bitch. This could actually be Undertaker's last ride.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Apr 01, '17, 3:54 pm

I was debating whether to raise this here or in the Wrestlemania hype thread, but it's something I realised earlier. Not knowing what the main event is at this point strikes me as a bad thing. And I think it's a major reason why this year's Wrestlemania is exciting me less than the previous couple.

I kinda hate the brand split, and I really hate two world titles. It makes them both seem less important and it means the big shows lack that focal point that they should preferably have. Even when someone I disliked was holding the world title, I at least knew that it mattered. There was that extra incentive to invest, because you knew this was the spot that everyone was fighting for. Whereas at Wrestlemania 33 you could argue that the WWE World Championship match is like the 6th most important match on the card. That's just not good.

To be honest, I think I might prefer Undertaker/Reigns in the main event instead of Goldberg/Lesnar. But I'd prefer to see the one world title in the main event. That's just not possible anymore.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 01, '17, 9:33 pm

The more I think about it, why does it matter if Goldberg/Lesnar is on last and is short? After most people have been in the stadium for like 6 hours, I don't think too many will complain about a 5-10 minute match at the end. Even the most die hard are fading by that point.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Apr 02, '17, 10:52 am

Str8Shooter wrote:The more I think about it, why does it matter if Goldberg/Lesnar is on last and is short? After most people have been in the stadium for like 6 hours, I don't think too many will complain about a 5-10 minute match at the end. Even the most die hard are fading by that point.

That's the wrong way of thinking about it though. People need to be excited about the main event first and foremost. They need that extra injection of energy, because they will be fading at that point. You don't want fans losing interest in the show half way through. That's why the best should be saved for last - to give fans something to look forward too and keep them invested.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the main event being a short match in the right situation. But they've blown their load on that already in this feud. We've already seen the spectacular short match between Goldberg and Lesnar. Fans openly don't want that now. They want to see these guys throw down. And if fans are worried that this isn't what they're going to get, then maybe it's better that something else be given the main event spot.

Then again though, it's not like the fans know what the main event is anyway. And to me, that's a bit of a problem. But almost a necessary one given the situation we're in with the brand split.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to WWE