It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 1:30 am

Why aren't people giving Undertaker/Reigns a chance?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Why aren't people giving Undertaker/Reigns a chance?

Postby Messiah » Mar 07, '17, 7:14 am

DISCLAIMER: There is nothing The Undertaker can do in 2017 that is going to be that entertaining. He's a terrible character and should retire.

With that said, of all the things he could be doing, I don't see why Reigns/Undertaker is being frowned upon by so many people already. There interactions so far have been good. Reigns isn't approaching this like any other "good guy" would and showing respect. He's telling Undertaker straight up that that the ring belongs to him now and essentially disrespecting a legend. I would surprised if Reigns doesn't win at WrestleMania and hopefully it will lead to his heel turn. If that doesn't happen, I will be kind of disappointed but I think it will. I don't think it has been anything special (obviously they have only had a couple of interactions) but it's far from terrible or worthy of getting spat on like some people are already doing. It has the potential to have a great conclusion too. Plus Reigns has been consistently putting on great brawls the last several months. He probably one of the best chances of getting a good match out of Undertaker that goes beyond the standard, "big move, kick out, big move, kick out, big move, kick out, etc.", but then again a lot of people fall for that shit.

The way I see it, if Undertaker has to be doing anything, then this is at least better than most of the other stuff he could be doing. I have no clue why people are interested in Cena/Undertaker, especially without the streak. That was the only reason I ever thought it would be a cool match-up - SuperCena vs SuperTaker. But there is nothing about how those two act that would make the story anything but shit. Reigns and Taker are just two badasses trying to stake claim to what they believe is their yard.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Why aren't people giving Undertaker/Reigns a chance?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 07, '17, 8:53 am

I'm digging this match far more than Cena v Taker, that's for sure.

They probably will play up to Reigns behaving heelish during the build-up, match and then the next day, he'll be back to Roman and challenging Lesnar for the title again.

It requires a big ask for Reigns to carry Undertaker, from a physical point of view but if he has been making strides in the in-ring department then it's a great opportunity to showcase his improvement, surely? Undertaker will be able to guide him through the match so historically, he's in with a legend of the industry yet it'll be a challenge for Reigns to carry an old guy through a match. Some spots might be off bounds but I'll be looking forward to the build and the match.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » Mar 07, '17, 3:36 pm

I think it's just an extension of people disliking Roman Reigns. They'd probably be down on his feud almost regardless of who he was facing. Also, at this point being Undertaker's opponent at Wrestlemania has a sort of status attached to it, so people are probably annoyed that Reigns was the one to get that rub instead of somebody else.

Part of it might be that we're not seeing Cena vs Undertaker as a result, but I don't think that's as much of a factor as some would have you believe. Personally, the Cena vs Undertaker match doesn't really interest me, but given it's been talked about for so long, I can understand why it might stick in the craw of some fans that they're not getting the match when it seemed clear that it would happen this year. Particularly when the match isn't happening because of the company's handpicked guy.

But speaking solely for myself, and I find myself saying this about most Wrestlemania matches this year, I just don't feel like they've actually given me any reason to care about the match yet. The story is very thin at this point - as it usually is for Undertaker feuds - and there's no real reason to get behind either guy. That's the reason I don't give a shit about this match, but I'm sure that's not the reason that most people are down on it.

On the plus side, I think it'll be a good match, if the crowd don't hijack it too badly. Reigns is a really good wrestler - he rarely under-performs on pay per view (though he did at Wrestlemania 32 strangely). From a 'technical' standpoint, he's already significantly better than Cena. Though he doesn't have Cena's knack for pacing and playing to the crowd just yet.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Mar 07, '17, 7:07 pm

At it's best it's two guys most fans don't really know what they want them doing at Mania and kinda feels the same with WWE. It just kinda feels thrown together. As far as matches on the card and what's at stake, Roman vs Taker is low on my list of gripes, but also hard to get excited for either.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Mar 07, '17, 9:28 pm

I did actually like the segment they had on Raw. Reigns arrogantly saying "this is my yard now" to Taker in front of a hostile smark crowd was a great moment and exactly the kind of heat this match needs. Tweener/heel Roman is best Roman. I liked him the most when he had that attitude during the AJ Styles feud. The really should turn him heel, and if this match accomplishes that then maybe it'll all be worth it. But I'm afraid they'll go the Cena route with Roman and not try anymore because he "gets every fan to react" or whatever the fuck.

I was originally pissed off at the prospect of this match because it SHOULD have been Cena vs Taker. It feels like Roman is stealing Cena's spot. Out-goldenboying the golden boy, as it were. And since it's Roman, there's a good chance they'll have him go over Taker, which I would only be okay with if it solidified a full-fledged heel turn. If they have Roman go over and then do nothing interesting with him character-wise afterwards, then this whole thing is a travesty. I would prefer that Brock be the only one to have a victory against Taker at Wrestlemania. Only have someone else do it if it really needs to happen for good booking reasons.

The feud doesn't have much potential, because it's two stoic badassses who are men of few words. Say what you want about Cena/Taker, but you know Cena would have been out there every other week cutting killer 20-minute speeches about why this match is important and what it means to him. Compare that to Roman, who is getting this match (both in fayfabe and in reality), because he's Roman Reigns and it's just another turf war for da big dawg.

But I digress. The match is official now, and I'm not sure how good it will be. I think it depends on which Undertaker shows up. The one at the Rumble was stiff and old, but he's had two months to train up. Taker usually rises to the occasion (like he did at Summerslam against Brock), but he's also been pretty sluggish in recent Wrestlemania matches. I doubt this will be as good as Roman's brawls with Strowman, Lesnar, and Big Show, but the atmosphere and crowd reactions will help it a lot.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to WWE