It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 8:21 am

I'm going into hype overload for Metal Gear Solid V

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

I'm going into hype overload for Metal Gear Solid V

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 26, '15, 8:28 am

I know I've gone on about this at length already but I seriously can't handle my excitement for this game without venting some of it somewhere. :lol

There's been 2 hours of released gameplay so far and the video above has it all. Having played Ground Zeroes which shares a lot of the same core gameplay I can tell that Phantom Pain will be a blast to play.

For the type of folk who've been put off by the very story heavy nature of the games up to this point, MGSV is very much a 180 and will be very gameplay heavy, something I'm absolutely okay with as the gameplay looks wonderful!

I made a countdown to the game's PC release on my white board (ignore the 30th of July, that's my birthday, I figured I'd may as well mark that too :P )

So many days, too many days.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 275

Re: I'm going into hype overload for Metal Gear Solid V

Postby Circled Square » Jun 26, '15, 8:33 am

Getting a real strong phantom pain in my ass right about now.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 26, '15, 8:56 am

Didn't realise it was MGS you were referring to when you tweeted this..

BTW is your head for sale, judging by that price tag peeking out...

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 26, '15, 8:59 am

The thing behind my head is my eraser, it's got a magnet in it so it sticks to the surface of the board, the text is upside down atm so you can see the tail end of the "cling" writing on it. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Jun 26, '15, 9:10 am

I won't be there to see the sparkle in his eye when he puts the disc into the Xbox One. :( Why live?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 11, '15, 9:39 am

mfw 3 weeks to go until mgsv

mfw I got to wipe the last 2 weeks off the countdown board

mfw it is goty

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Aug 15, '15, 4:32 am

mfw nutted but she's still suckin

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 21, '15, 7:50 am

So apparently the Steam version of MGSV will unlock at midnight on the 1st of September... in New Zealand.

In other words, it unlocks at 1pm my time on the 31st of August! 10 days to go yeeee

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Aug 21, '15, 10:36 am

I still have no fucking idea why these games are so hyped. I watch nuttons of animes and play JRPGs and like all of that zany crazy shit, but this game is fucking garbled HORSE SHIT since MGS2 and on.

Still, glad you can enjoy it, man.. I'm actually jealous. There just aren't any games I give a shit about these days :(

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 21, '15, 10:42 am

@Locke have you been keeping an eye on any of the gameplay that's been released for this one? It's a bit different from the standard main series MGS has generally been, might be worth taking a look at.

I think saying MGS is "HORSE SHIT" is a bit too far. I know it can not be everyone's cup of tea but most people I know who don't enjoy them at least see why others do. Pretty much every game in the series I'd say is great verging on fantastic for the better ones (Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater).

Shame you're not a fan but at least you tried them! A lot of folk won't go near the games for whatever reason but it's my favourite series, no question. I'd say there's a very high possibility that The Phantom Pain ends up being my favourite game ever.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Aug 21, '15, 12:55 pm

I wasn't saying the games themselves are horse shit, just that convoluted story. MGS1 and 2 I dug. I was one of the very few that thought Raiden (sp?) was a great and fun character. I know purist fans were pissed they were forced to play as this new "kid" and not Snake but c'mon, he was a BOSS! And that's -before- they turned him into some weird andriod/cyborg thing (TBH I don't know what happened there but it looked cool as tits).

The new trailer just put me off. I mean, I don't even know what the fuck is going on anymore. Clones? Past? Present? Future? WOLF? Does he turn into a wolf now? I barely, -barely- swallowed it when Link from Zelda turned into a wolf but at least that was fantasy. Something about the new trailer just fucking sunk my battle ship.

As far as gameplay, though? Looks fun as hell. Solid. I'm just really.. unique (or maybe I'm not).. when it comes to a game that presents a serious story. If the gameplay is great but they're trying to tell me a story and I just wanna scream BEWLSHEET at my TV like I can only imagine The Iron Sheik does.. well, then that takes the gameplay away from me and I hate it. :/

And I'm sure I'm being a prick about this, too, because it might turn out to be a great story, but judging from the fact that I got lost somewhere between 2 and 3, didn't even touch any after that, I probably couldn't play it anyway.. :/

Everyone loves Kojima and wants to call him the best of all time, but I almost think the MGS series might prosper without him because he's just so bat shit crazy. I was excited for PT/Silent Hill(s), though, because those games you really -have- to be confused for them to impact you. I think MGS had enough ammo from 1 and 2 without going TOO crazypshyco to accomplish more and more, but it just went off the deep end..

That's my <2c> and I'm sticking to it </2c> :P
I do love your enthusiasm about it, though, and like I said, I'm fucking jealous. I haven't been that hyped for a game since Diablo 3 was announced. Then it came out and destroyed my balls (not in the good way). :(

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 21, '15, 1:42 pm

@Locke heh, you're not being a prick for giving your opinions. I'm surprised that you lost it after MGS2, I'd say it's the most convoluted of the lot. If you could stick with that then the rest should be child's play. :lol Odd that MGS3 is the one that lost you, it's perhaps the most standalone of all the Metal Gear Solid games. I know it's numbered 3 and came out after 2 but it's... not disconnected but somewhat removed from the narrative that had existed in the games up until that point.

While MGS2 takes place in 2005, MGS3 takes place in 1964, you play as Naked Snake, the genetic predecessor of Solid Snake and the man who would later be known as Big Boss. It's a campy spy drama in Cold War Russia. The story's easily digestible, largely revolving around conflicting loyalties. (It also happens to be my personal favourite)

Compare that to MGS2 where you've got a story going on about cultural vs genetic legacy as well as constantly questioning if you're ever really in control. The game breaks the fourth wall pretty regularly with AI mindfuckery and stuff like that and by the end Raiden is questioning if there is anything he can really know is real. It's significantly more complex. And I really enjoy this game! It just struck me as bizarre that you could handle this but not Snake Eater. :lol

As far as the dog thing, that's not Snake, it's an actual dog lol. He rescues it while on a mission and trains it to help him on missions. There are some supernatural things going on in The Phantom Pain, the Sniper buddy named Quiet has some pretty funky abilities and there are a bunch of dudes called Skulls that look pretty out there.

As far as Kojima leaving, I don't think they should make any Metal Gear games without him. They will, but his influence over the series is what makes it what it is and it's an incredibly significant part in shaping them into the series that I love. Metal Gear is not Metal Gear without Hideo Kojima.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Aug 21, '15, 1:49 pm

@SlightlyJames

I said between 2 and 3, not 3 itself. Basically, what you say is correct. I followed two and knew, all those years ago, how "mindfucky" the series could/would get. I survived it (again, solid JRPG/anime fan here, I still like Kingdom Hearts for what it's worth, but only so I can save Winny the mother fuckin' Pooh!) and did ALL OF THAT to be treated with prequels.

I fucking hate prequels. That's when I got lost, the announcement of that.

As you know, trying to follow the rest of the story via trailers/youtube and wikis = just fuck yourself, you're lost. :/ And when they turned Raiden into a robot, I was lost more, and the dog thing.. You seem to understand it better than I do but there's an entire reddit dedicated to this dog thing being some kind of spirit/reincarnation/vision/ just WEIRD SHIT, and maybe I read too much of that, but that was my initial first impression on seeing the trailer during the convention (online ofc, I don't go to those, ffs I'm poor and old). :P

So like I said, I really probably -am- being a prick about this. I thought GameCube's remake of 1 and the original Sons of Liberty were.. legend, on their own, but I'd also argue that Diablo 2 is best, Starcraft 1 is best, Half-Life 3 doesn't need to happen, etc. etc.

I'm weird.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 21, '15, 2:06 pm

@Locke To give a bit of insight into Raiden being a Cyborg Ninja, you saw that he was given the sword at the end of MGS2? He really liked it that sword. So when the mission was over he decided to train with the thing and watch a bunch of Samurai movies and shit.

Remember Olga's child that was being held hostage by the Patriots? It was Raiden who managed to rescue her, with help from EVA/Big Mama (the motorcycle lady from MGS3/4). He left that child with Snake and Otacon, her name was Sunny. She's the kid who sucks at cooking eggs.

Since EVA helped Raiden save Sunny, he had to help her retrieve the body of Big Boss, but he got caught by the Patriots and was used for experimentation and that's how he got his synthetic body. He did eventually escape but at that point he was a cyborg so he decided to go and be angsty in the wilderness.

That's basically the story of Raiden becoming a Cyborg. It was actually supposed to be the subject of a game called Metal Gear Solid: Rising but development issues happened and that game ended up being made by Platinum Games, taking place after MGS4 and being called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Fun game but not a true MGS.

As far as the stuff about the dog subreddit and all of that, that sounds like a really out there fan theory or maybe a joke lol. It's nothing that's ever actually been said in any of the games and I doubt it holds any weight. It's just a really cool dog. :lol

Shame that prequels aren't your thing because MGS3 is a fantastic game. Definitely worth giving a chance if you haven't, like I said it may be my favourite ever game. If you've got a PS3 or a 360 you'd be able to get it in the MGS HD Collection. That game, and Peace Walker, are the main two that set the stage for MGSV.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Aug 21, '15, 2:17 pm

@SlightlyJames

You're starting to make me regret my decision. I will make you a solemn promise.. They're doing a LOT of shit with PC now (finally the "Master Race" is getting real followers instead of those atheist fucks)..

If they ever release a pack of ALL MGS games for PC (I have a PS4 remote so I can deal), I don't care if it's 100 bucks, I'll buy it. I'm poor as fuck, but I'll buy it.. Why? You basically reminded me of 1 and 2 (by getting me to talk about it) and now suddenly I'm kicking myself for not owning more consoles (I had a PS3 briefly but not briefly enough to play MGS3, just got pissed it was prequel, I know.. probably dumb move on my part).

AND STOP CALLING RAIDEN ANGSTY! FOR FUCK'S SAKE!! Everyone calls him "angsty" but he's not fucking angsty! At all! Does anyone even know what angst is anymore? He's not a self centered d-bag, he's just a guy. Shit that SUCKS happens to him A LOT. So instead of raging on some poor village/town and slitting throats, he goes out, he meditates. Focuses.. Comes back a goddamn hero/badass.. But no, still angst. FAWK YOU AND YOUR ILK, SON, HE DIED FOR YOUR COUNTRY in that tiny little 4gb fictional world and I've gone cross-eyed.

You get my drift? Don't fuck with the good kid. With white hair.. He's baws. BOSS

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 21, '15, 2:23 pm

@Locke For what it's worth I liked Raiden in MGS2 it was pretty funny to have this chipper dude going through what Snake normally does and gradually breaking down. When he comes back in MGS4 though, he so pissy. Fucking moaning about how it rained the day he was born and always trying to sacrifice himself and shit. Come on now dawg, cheer up a bit.

Raiden also tends to be blamed for all of the lengthy parts with Rose. Where she's crying about how Raiden's room is as empty as his soul and shit. Raiden's cool but every time Rose interrupts to ask if I know what day tomorrow is I want to skip that shit so hard.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Locke » Aug 21, '15, 2:39 pm

Some dude's gotta know when it's their Bday mang. My wife forgets mine every year. Maybe I like him because I'm an emotional sap, too.. haha!

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 21, '15, 2:46 pm

I don't get to talk MGS around these parts too often (not with anyone talking back, at least :P )

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 24, '15, 7:54 am

One week to go! Reviews are out and it's Nines and Tens across the board!

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Aug 24, '15, 4:06 pm

My reaction to your level of hype.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 62

Next

Return to Gaming and Technology