It is currently: May 08, '24, 4:06 am

XboxOne becoming backwards compatible

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

XboxOne becoming backwards compatible

Postby GameDesigner14 » Jun 15, '15, 2:33 pm

Fans of backward compatibility are getting their wish: Microsoft just announced that the Xbox One will be able to play Xbox 360 games. Demonstrated onstage with Mass Effect by Mike Ybarra, it sounds a lot like the OG Xbox -> Xbox 360 setup -- you just plug in the disc or download the game, and the system plays it, but now with Xbox One features like taking screenshots, Game DVR and game streaming included. All developers need to do is approve a game for backward compatibility for it to work, so the list of compatible titles could grow rapidly.

Update: Microsoft updated its website with more information about the new program. The page confirms that this applies to digital and disc games, cross-console multiplayer is included, and it will pull over your cloud game saves, achievements, Gamerscore etc. This PDF lists all the games it currently works with -- excuse me while I dig up my Perfect Dark Zero Collectors Edition.

Check here for everything happening at E3 2015!
Microsoft took a chance to ding Sony for its PlayStation Now streaming setup too, promising, "Gamers won't have to pay to play games they already own." If you're in the Xbox preview program, you will be able to try this out later today with a limited set of titles. A teaser image for the feature showed off other games like Perfect Dark Zero, Gears of War, Super Meat Boy, Halo Reach, Halo 3, Shadowrun and Borderlands. We'll try it out once it launches, but wow, funny to see this here just two years after Don Mattrick called it "backwards."

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/15/xbox ... atibility/

GameDesigner14 Female
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 28

Re: XboxOne becoming backwards compatible

Postby Daz » Jun 15, '15, 2:38 pm

I feel like they would have had a much more successful launch to the console if they would have just thrown this in from the get go.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Everlong » Jun 15, '15, 2:56 pm

Daz wrote:I feel like they would have had a much more successful launch to the console if they would have just thrown this in from the get go.

100 percent this. But now this solves my conundrum about whether I should get GTA 5 for Xbone even though I already have it for 360.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Jun 15, '15, 3:02 pm

Daz wrote:I feel like they would have had a much more successful launch to the console if they would have just thrown this in from the get go.

Exactly, 2 years to late

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 119

Postby GameDesigner14 » Jun 15, '15, 3:20 pm

It's definitely a plus for those who haven't bought a console yet but a slap to the face to those who bought them at launch time.

GameDesigner14 Female
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author
Topics: 28

Postby EmperorWu » Jun 15, '15, 3:27 pm

Maybe not two years too late. This is enough to tip me over into the buying a Xbox One scale. I'll wait until it fully rolls out though. If this could convince Sony to do the same thing it would be phenomenal. I could get rid of my PS3. I'm running out of room. I don't know how much of a success or failure PS Now is though.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 18, '15, 7:07 am

It's interesting to note that this isn't actually full backwards compatibility. What essentially happens is they have to adapt each game to run on the Xbox One individually, effectively porting them to the system. The fact that this doesn't "just work" as far as shoving any old 360 game in and playing it means that only titles they bother making compatible will be playable.

Essentially this means that while you'll almost certainly be able to play your copy of the popular titles like Halo and Gears, some of the less prominent games you own won't necessarily be playable as they might not deem it worthwhile to accommodate them.

I do still think this is a notable feature and I agree that it would have been a lot more significant if they'd managed to do it on launch. I think it would be a lot harder for Sony to do this with PS3 games due to the fact that the Cell processor is a weird beast of a thing and they seem to be all in on their Playstation Now streaming service as far as playing older games is concerned.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby JPG619 » Jun 18, '15, 1:32 pm

That cool but from the looks of it the games are limited well that was the same when Xbox 360 came out the had limited game support. Maybe when it has games I play then i might get a Xbox One but right now I will stick with my PS3, PS4 and 360

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Postby EmperorWu » Jun 19, '15, 4:28 am

I changed my mind. I didn't realize I had to download the game even if I had the disk. That shit takes forever and the standard hard drive is limited anyway. :(

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Circled Square » Jun 19, '15, 4:29 am

Red Dead Redemption on XBOX One?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 209

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 19, '15, 5:15 am

Circled Square wrote:Red Dead Redemption on XBOX One?

Well, technically. Assuming they bring that one over (safe bet) it's the exact same version of the game emulated by the Xbone. It wouldn't look or run any better than it did before.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Return to Gaming and Technology