It is currently: Jun 16, '24, 12:34 am

Help me out

This is the place for gamers to talk about what they're playing, as well as for discussions about the latest tech and gadgets.

Help me out

Postby War Daddy » Aug 02, '14, 8:20 am

I just wanna say Im already planning on a 3DS here soon, handheld gaming is my life. So many good games you be stupid not to have one.

Anyways, Im in a toss up between a Wii U and PS4. I LOVE Nintendo, so a wii u would be pretty amazing, however, Im also a hardcore game(in a way) so getting a PS4 would be good for things like madden and 2k and stuff like that.

Reasons Im leaning to a Wii U is because of the Virtual Console on it, also is backwards compatible to the Wii games, theyre finally getting online right, and the vast array of games they got coming. The HUGE one Im waiting for is the Legend Of Zelda. Its an open world game of Hyrule and looks fucking gorgeous. There is also a rumor of Pokemon finally jumping over as well. It also has Mario Kart 8 and then Bayonetta 2 coming in October. Im sure I could get Madden on it as well. I like 3rd party games and Nintendo is king.

However, the other side of me wants to join in with my friends on a PS4 and talk shit as usual. New Madden coming out and Im the only one without a ps4. :lol God I would the Last of Us remastered in my hands. They got a pretty good library, and some good games one network(I think). So who knows, maybe I will.

Im just really torn inside :lol

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 122

Re: Help me out

Postby prophet » Aug 02, '14, 8:26 am

For me it's a no-brainer - you get a PS4. I should preface that by stating that I have zero interest in a Wii and can't understand why anyone would buy one so take everything I say with a pinch of salt. Also I have a PS4 so I'll be able to murder you on GTA or something if you get one.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby War Daddy » Aug 02, '14, 8:31 am

prophet wrote:For me it's a no-brainer - you get a PS4. I should preface that by stating that I have zero interest in a Wii and can't understand why anyone would buy one so take everything I say with a pinch of salt. Also I have a PS4 so I'll be able to murder you on GTA or something if you get one.

I play mostly sports games and games like GTA, AC, and a good zombie game. When I want alot of replay value, thats where Nintendo truly shines. I just dont know. :(

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Aug 02, '14, 10:25 am

I'm the opposite of prophet. Honestly, I have a hard time figuring out why anyone would want a PS4 right now. The game support just isn't there so far, most of what has come out for it at this point is reviewing pretty badly, they're still getting to terms with how to use the system and you're probably going to get stuck playing the same two games until next year when some support might finally come down. And without backwards compatibility, you're paying more money for a much smaller experience.

The WiiU on the other hand has a lot of fun looking games. None of them look groundbreaking in any way, they all seem like very safe games playing into exactly what Nintendo has been doing for years, but there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. There's not that much on the WiiU I'm hugely excited for, but I could probably buy 10 games for the system that I'd enjoy and that I'd be able to replay. I'd get a lot more use out of it than a PS4. And buying a WiiU gives you extra cash to go buying more games too, because it's a less expensive console.

Plus, the new Smash Bros game will be coming along soon, and how could you not want that shit? :lol

Just my two cents, but I'd definitely choose the WiiU right now. PS4 probably won't be a really good investment for another couple of years, once it gets a bit of a catalogue going.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Tom » Aug 02, '14, 5:57 pm

I own a PS4 and my brother has a Wii U hanging around the house so hopefully I can help you.

The Wii U has some awesome features. The fact that you can play the system without having it plugged into the TV is an appealing aspect. It makes things easier if there is something on the TV that you want to keep an eye on while also playing a game in the meantime, similar to handheld systems in a way. I have probably played the system more through its handheld features more than through the TV as it stands.

I think the Wii U store has much better games available in comparison to the PS Store on the PS4. Sure, PSN gives you free games every month but they have not released one that has made me think I should download it, and you cannot buy classic PS3, PS2 or PS1 games on the system either (yet anyway). I have already found myself playing and buying many old titles from previous Nintendo systems on the Wii U so far and have heard that they have plans to release some classic N64 titles which would be fun.

In terms of actual games that have been released on the Wii U so far, I have only found myself playing two but that is mainly because they are the only two my bother has bought. New Super Mario Bro's is as fun as any of the instalments over the last few years. Mario Kart is also fun to play but I haven't had as much fun playing it as I did the Wii or Gamecube instalments. Online is awesome for it though, and I have not had trouble with it lagging ever, which is something that I cannot say for the PS4. I am hoping that Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze arrives in the house soon so that I can play that because apparently its a great game.

The PS4 itself is awesome as well. I chose to get one after I played Fifa on it and couldn't go back to playing it on PS3 anymore. I have had great replay value with it so far and its always good to throw on when friends are around. The PS4 is probably more beneficial to me in this case, because more of my friends would be into Fifa as opposed to games on the Wii U so it gets used more when I have people around. Plus I can play online against them as well. EA UFC is the only other game I have. Its fun but I got bored of it quickly. The online isn't as addicitive as Fifa's and offline game modes are close to non existent bar the career.

If you are into single player games, I don't think PS4 has come close to releasing as many quality titles as the Wii U has so far. I am sure a couple years down the road we will see the PS4's full potential with this but as it stands, most games that are being released on it seem to be re-mastered PS3 games or multi format games. The Wii U has some decent ones so far as well as some fun games announced as Hanley pointed out.

If I was advising you, I would say get the console you will play most. Will you play Madden more than any of the games you plan to buy for the WiiU (which seems to be the case with me with Fifa)? If so then maybe get a PS4. But my guess is that you are more excited for the titles coming out on the Wii U so I would probably lean towards that if I was you. It's also a cheaper console than the PS4, and you should get a free game to redeem online when you buy Mario Kart as well (the brother redeemed Wind Waker for nostalgic reasons)!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 02, '14, 6:02 pm

Wii U is dead. I don't understand anyone who buys that console. Yeah, Nintendo make great games but... 3 games a year isn't enough. It's a console and a company that lives off nostalgia. Sure it's cheaper but the PS4 is a wiser long term investment.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby War Daddy » Aug 02, '14, 7:34 pm

SortaCreative wrote:Wii U is dead. I don't understand anyone who buys that console. Yeah, Nintendo make great games but... 3 games a year isn't enough. It's a console and a company that lives off nostalgia. Sure it's cheaper but the PS4 is a wiser long term investment.

My question is, have you played a Wii U yet?

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 02, '14, 7:47 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:Wii U is dead. I don't understand anyone who buys that console. Yeah, Nintendo make great games but... 3 games a year isn't enough. It's a console and a company that lives off nostalgia. Sure it's cheaper but the PS4 is a wiser long term investment.

Yeah, we've had one since launch. I've probably played it for about 20 hours tops. It's kind of fun when there's people around but the pack in games lack the replayability that Wii Sports did. Played Pikmin, Mario Kart... Mario etc.. Most of it is just uninspired. Considering getting rid of it tbh.

EDIT: Saying that though i've probably played the PS4 about as much. I expect it to pick up later in the year but right now they both gather dust. It's only really used for Fifa couple of times a month when my family gets together. There's no real other games. Infamous is good. Killzone is okay. Assassin's Creed is okay. Watch Dogs was fine at best. Nothing screams buy me now but atleast you have the usual run of the mill good for a playthrough third party games. The Wii U doesn't even have that. Wii U isn't getting online right, it takes a programming degree to get some wireless signals to connect. It doesn't even have a hard wire connection.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby War Daddy » Aug 03, '14, 7:53 pm

SortaCreative wrote:
Alpha Beast wrote:

Yeah, we've had one since launch. I've probably played it for about 20 hours tops. It's kind of fun when there's people around but the pack in games lack the replayability that Wii Sports did. Played Pikmin, Mario Kart... Mario etc.. Most of it is just uninspired. Considering getting rid of it tbh.

EDIT: Saying that though i've probably played the PS4 about as much. I expect it to pick up later in the year but right now they both gather dust. It's only really used for Fifa couple of times a month when my family gets together. There's no real other games. Infamous is good. Killzone is okay. Assassin's Creed is okay. Watch Dogs was fine at best. Nothing screams buy me now but atleast you have the usual run of the mill good for a playthrough third party games. The Wii U doesn't even have that. Wii U isn't getting online right, it takes a programming degree to get some wireless signals to connect. It doesn't even have a hard wire connection.

Weird, my friend lives in the boondocks and never once had a problem connecting to the internet.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 04, '14, 7:02 am

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Return to Gaming and Technology